Unactivated coins left in a cache

racalvert

Morning all... quick rookie question here.

Why do people drop off unactivated geocoins? Is the intent to have a cacher drop by and 'adopt' these coins and activate them as their own? Or is the intent for someone to trade these for other unactivated coins?

Just wondering how this is supposed to work. Thanks for any info. <_<

-Alan

Edited by racalvert

I think everyone is different.....sometimes I will put some of my personal coins(unactivated) out when I have either a new coin or I am travelling in a new area. Mostly I put activated coins out to travel though.

What I hope is someone will trade something of equal value & not a bottle cap or broken toy!

Or is the intent for someone to trade these for other unactivated coins?

HI Alan,

that would be nice! At the moment though they are not common enough here at a cheap price for this to happen so two types find my coins - finders who swap ACTIVATED coins for these ( they don't seem to get the idea these are swaps <_< and folk who leave other nice things as trade. A lot of swag is not traded for I notice so I switched to coins in my caches that are not letterboxes especially to leave a really nice surprise for the next cacher and I've dropped some of prntr1 's coins for him too - he's a pretty generous chap! letterboxes have lovely logbooks and handcarved stamps seems to inspire some better logs as well so they need less 'treasure' imho.

Forthferalz-

How would the cacher know the coin they found is unactivated? And not everyone is involved in coins, or know their financial value- looks like a nice bit of swag, respond with leaving a nice bit of swag.

Or is the intent for someone to trade these for other unactivated coins?

HI Alan,

that would be nice! At the moment though they are not common enough here at a cheap price for this to happen so two types find my coins - finders who swap ACTIVATED coins for these ( they don't seem to get the idea these are swaps :blink: and folk who leave other nice things as trade. A lot of swag is not traded for I notice so I switched to coins in my caches that are not letterboxes especially to leave a really nice surprise for the next cacher and I've dropped some of prntr1 's coins for him too - he's a pretty generous chap! letterboxes have lovely logbooks and handcarved stamps seems to inspire some better logs as well so they need less 'treasure' imho.

I try to make sure whatever coin I leave is clearly marked. My travelers are all tagged & say they are travelers. My unactivated coins, I put in an envelope & mark as "unactivated gift". It's just too confusing to new people. You can do some research & try to find out who left it & see what their intention was. Welcome to the world of Geocoins! It is an addiction, so beware! :blink:

I have left maybe 50-100 unactivated coins in caches. I confess I am not so good at labeling but do try to make a note in the cache log about them. For me, I just ask that when someone else takes the coin they just leave something decent in return. There are lots of people who have not yet discovered the world of coins, and those are the ones who I really like to get them, so I have no expectation of a coin for a coin. But everyone just does it different. Again, of of the great things about this game.

should be traded equally for.

Bingo, we leave unactivated coins in caches all the time in the hopes that it will improve the swag just a little bit if the next cacher trades somthing worth 7-8 dollers then the next 6-7 and so on at least the next few trades will be decent. The only time we dont put a note reminding cachers to trade up is when its a FTF prize.

I have found very few unactivated coins in caches, and the ones that I do find are in nice caches where a lot was put into them.

I agree with the previous posts....leave something that is of equal or greater value when you take an unactivated coin. I own a cache in which it has two unactivated coins, and I have it spelled out clearly that I want for people to leave unactivated for unactiavated.

Forthferalz-

How would the cacher know the coin they found is unactivated? And not everyone is involved in coins, or know their financial value- looks like a nice bit of swag, respond with leaving a nice bit of swag.

They are clearly labelled and/or there is extensive documentation esp relating to where to activate/adopt that it is part of th swag in teh logbook and cache notes - and sometimes the bag is still sealed from the mint! :blink:

gc-generic-coin-insert-large.jpg

You don't label your travelling ocins? Ack! Go to my blog- make yourself some. I've got generic/usa and lips :) Will add Sydney once I know the icon

usa-coin-insert.jpg

I put my unactivated coins in those "dual pocket" folding geocoin protectors. In one side is the coin, and the other is this card. I print them on business card stock and fold them in half. Inside the fold is the activation info for the coin. I also tape the openings shut so the coins don't fall out. It works out really well. I also have a similar card for my activated coins.

geocoin.jpg

Ok , I am new to the forums so I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else. Here is my dilema.

I recently bought several very cool FTF Geocoins. One I plan to keep and the others use as FTF prizes in new caches. I Was planing on activating them and labeling the pouch that says "This coin is a first to find prize geocoin,Log in and "grab" it from this cach then please feel free to keep it". I was thinking that this way I could be sure that it went to somebody and follow its travels if the person that found it wanted it to continue to travel. I suppose I could also do an adoption transer to the person whom found it. Or Would it be better to leave it unactivated? Thanks in advance for any advice or sugestions.