I am downing in emails! Need daily summary please!

pocketpupsnet

I am getting bombarded with emails of people finding my cache or moving my bug.

Could we have a choice to receive a daily summary of our logs instead of the emails? It is making me think twice about hiding a cache or throwing more bugs out and I have removed many favorite caches out of my watch list due to the volume of emails I get.

I understand the necessity to maintain and that is why I need emails and I cannot stop them from coming if I am an owner... but if I could just have one email that would encourage me to do more.

If we have this option already, please alert me to it's where-abouts..

Thanks!

Edited by pocketpupsnet

Could we have a choice to receive a daily summary of our logs instead of the emails? It is making me think twice about hiding a cache or throwing more bugs out and I have removed many favorite caches out of my watch list due to the volume of emails I get.

I understand the necessity to maintain and that is why I need emails and I cannot stop them from coming if I am an owner... but if I could just have one email that would encourage me to do more.

Thanks!

I setup a separate gmail account for geocaching for that reason. Gmail is nice because it groups all your emails so they are much easier to review and manage! :ph34r:

I have 101 active geocaches and 45 TB's - 35 caches on my watchlist. On a busy weekend I might get 70 - 80 emails but most days only 5 - 6. I have never considered it a problem at all. Filter them if you want to, but the point of a log on either is to let the owner know about your visit. If you don't care to know about visits - don't hide them or send them out. Seems simple enough. My wife and I love to know what people think as they visit the special sites I took time to pick out and scout out and hide a cache at.

, but the point of a log on either is to let the owner know about your visit.

That point is not in dispute. The email is. The owner can go to the cache or TB page and see the log whenever they want to.

Why not have an option to control when/how often the email gets sent? Of course the aforementioned ability of getting free email accounts that have awesome filtering is the truly simple answer.

I actually LOVE to get those "found/DNF" emails...for either my caches or my coins moving about!! I respond to all and love it!! A great way to "get to know your fellow cacher"!! I would rather have the mail and know what is going on with my caches as to have to go in and check the logs...my opinion of course!

With 54 hidden caches, I usually only get about 20 or so emails a day, and some days there are as little as 1-2!! Of course, the weekends may bring in more as there are often multiple finders for our newer hides!!

, but the point of a log on either is to let the owner know about your visit.

That point is not in dispute. The email is. The owner can go to the cache or TB page and see the log whenever they want to.

Why not have an option to control when/how often the email gets sent? Of course the aforementioned ability of getting free email accounts that have awesome filtering is the truly simple answer.

If they are not willing to read the emails - seriously, what are the odds of most of these cachers ever visiting the cache page to read all the logs??

For those that don't like the email "filling" your inbox, I have to wonder how much you really care about your caches or the locations they are at? This attitude towards your visitors feedback may well expalin logs like "TFTC" as the entire entry. I guess they figure nobody will ever read it anyway.........

Having said that, I think the best option is to filter your email, even the plain and simple Outlook Express included with Windows has long included easy "rules" you can use to filter the messages into a differnet folder or to delete them.

If they are not willing to read the emails - seriously, what are the odds of most of these cachers ever visiting the cache page to read all the logs??

For those that don't like the email "filling" your inbox, I have to wonder how much you really care about your caches or the locations they are at? This attitude towards your visitors feedback may well expalin logs like "TFTC" as the entire entry. I guess they figure nobody will ever read it anyway.........

Having said that, I think the best option is to filter your email, even the plain and simple Outlook Express included with Windows has long included easy "rules" you can use to filter the messages into a differnet folder or to delete them.

It's not that I am not willing to read the e-mails. In fact I rather enjoy it, espically with nw caches. What I don;t like is my e-mail going off eveny 5 minutes. I would much rather get one daily e-mail per cache, bug or bookmark list a day and read all the logs at once.

Thanks!

You have 9 hides and three bugs and the majority of your caches have not been found in over 7 days. How many emails are you recieving?

The more or less immediate notification is to assist the owner in not only seeing it is active, however to also give them the oppotunity to quickly respond to any issues.

If you are using and email client, such as Pegasus or Eudora, you can set up a filter as previously mentioned to put them in a seperate folder. If not, you can set-up a throwaway account in gmail, hotmail or one of the other services and have them sent there.

Edited by baloo&bd

I have more than 7 caches, you didn't scroll down far enough plus I co-own two in NC. Cachers in Detroit Michigan are very active.

34 logs in one month. Lucky #76.

21 logs in one month. How do you spell relief?

22 logs in one month. Ford Field Comerica park NOT.

20 logs in a little over a month on Fidocaching #2 art or bark.

11 logs in a month for Happy Bunny

4 logs in a month for stewie's coin purse

8 logs in a month for where's abominable

7 logs in a month for back in a flash northwestern cache.

7 logs on fidocaching #1 in a month

two I co own in NC are grant mountain and no rhodes scholar.

these generated about 3 emails.

134 emails from my own caches. I watch one cache from my boyfriends only hide that is about 10 or more logs a month and all this does not include my bugs which I should be happy about right?

This is winter in Michigan and it is our SLOW season!

Thanks!

You have 9 hides and three bugs and the majority of your caches have not been found in over 7 days. How many emails are you recieving?

The more or less immediate notification is to assist the owner in not only seeing it is active, however to also give them the oppotunity to quickly respond to any issues.

If you are using and email client, such as Pegasus or Eudora, you can set up a filter as previously mentioned to put them in a seperate folder. If not, you can set-up a throwaway account in gmail, hotmail or one of the other services and have them sent there.

Edited by pocketpupsnet

I have more than 7 caches, you didn't scroll down far enough plus I co-own two in NC. Cachers in Detroit Michigan are very active.

134 emails from my own caches. I watch one cache from my boyfriends only hide that is about 10 or more logs a month and all this does not include my bugs which I should be happy about right?

134 emails in 31 days concerns you?? That is only 4.3 emails per day on average.

You're right I didn't (still don't) see the other caches. Are there others as well because to be candid, it looks more like you have a solution in search of a problem.

Even if the bugs account for an equal amount of email, it would still work out to less than 10 a day.

134 emails in 31 days concerns you?? That is only 4.3 emails per day on average.

They do tend to be concentrated on weekends.

I would personally opt for the daily summary of logs. Heck, even weekly.

I would, however, not make it a simple summary of all logs in the week.

On a daily summary, I don't think DNFs and other log types that would be considered red flags really need to be segregated into immediate logs, though that would be an option. I doubt the vast majority run right out when a DNF comes in anyway. I do think they should be groups into the various log types with the SBAs first, NMs next, DNFs third simply to highlight potential problems.

Weekly summaries would be for Found Logs and Notes, only. Options for daily summaries of red flags versus immediate notifications would be nice.

Of course, this would all be optional. Options are almost always better than no options, IMHO.