Podcasts

I have for some months been listening to the Podcacher podcast, but just this past weekend was delighted to discover a new one being produced by some cachers in the Michigan area.

It is called Cache-A-Maniacs and can be found here.

Just the introductory episode is up at the moment and they are having a launch event in Michigan this weekend. The two cachers running it are DarrylW4 and Firefly03. I can't wait for it to get into full swing!

GeoDog and I were lucky enough to meet Firefly03 in Troy, Michigan in September after I had completed one of their caches. Even though we live thousands of miles apart, we still found something to talk about in caches we had both done and of course coin swapping and logging.

Some of you will have heard of DarrylW4 and Firefly03 before as they are keen coin makers and collectors too.

There are several other podcasts about geocaching and I enjoy listening to them on my mobile phone ... and have just about figured how to get them onto the ipod Santa brought :unsure:

Looks as though Cacheamania will be mainly for interviews with cachers, Podcacher seems chatty with lots of phone calls and tcgcpc looks like it is/has a varied content and appears to have a bigger content interest but not as professional. What I don't like is the fact it doesn't tell you how long the podcast is.

3 are American and one is Australian.

When and who will produce a UK one? Extremely time consuming it seems in order to be a success.

Just a quick summary.

I know several UK cachers who would be perfect to produce them though. We ALL know about their Videoing prowess (actors and filmers) and other film producers in our midst who may wish to turn their hand.

:unsure:

I have recorded a few segments for Podcacher podcast and they are keen to have more international input. It would be good to have a UK centric podcast along the same lines, but it is a lot of effort to produce.

Another podcast I was thinking about was a round table discussion one where every week a group of cachers discuss topics of the day. Ideally this will be done by several groups in rotation to keep things fresh. I guess it could be done by Skype as many podcasts are nowadays. If anyone wants to have a go at a pilate then let me know.

I have recorded a few segments for Podcacher podcast and they are keen to have more international input. It would be good to have a UK centric podcast along the same lines, but it is a lot of effort to produce.

Another podcast I was thinking about was a round table discussion one where every week a group of cachers discuss topics of the day. Ideally this will be done by several groups in rotation to keep things fresh. I guess it could be done by Skype as many podcasts are nowadays. If anyone wants to have a go at a pilate then let me know.

was trying to think what a pilate was? till I woke up - pilot

Alistair, when are we going to hear the bits from your podcast you left on the cutting room floor! 'Twas comedy gold!

Bother, I completely forgot. It is on the system somewhere, I will dig it out.

I have given making a podcast some thought, but I don't think I have enough time to make it as good as it deserves to be. Maybe one day....

Agreed.

I have considered this in the past. I have the facilities for digital recording and editing but what I am lacking is a good idea for a script for a podcast. A lot of geocaching vids are a bit samey, so I would not wish to launch into it without some sort of plan in advance.

.... but what I am lacking is a good idea for a script for a podcast.

I think most podcasts that are successful and do not rely on input for a news gathering organisation are either interview or discussion/round table based. To be honest interviews with fellow cachers is interesting, but I feel will become rather repetitive after a while so that, in my mind, leaves discussion. The advantage of this is that there are always new topics to discuss and different points of view to put across and debate around, these forums being proof of that.

The original Cache-A-Maniacs concept had been a round table and we might end up doing a few of those yet. Unfortunately Skype doesn't work as well for most podcasters as the hype leads you to believe. There are many factors effecting the connection quality and little control over the individual connection volume. Many podcasters have started looking for other solutions from GoogleTalk through dedicated hardware. I ended up buying the TelosOne phone hybrid to record our shows (originally the Michigan Cycling Podcast, now Cache-A-Maniacs), but it is a pricey bit of hardware and requires a phone line to make and receive calls. Check out the third episode of Cache-A-Maniacs for our first phone interview show.

In the meantime, I am still interested in the round table discussion. If there's enough interest count me in.

Hey guys, I'm the host of the Twin Cities Geocaching Podcast, good to see that you are taking an interest in starting one of your own.

For your info, my "Studio" consits of my computer, a USB headset (logitech) and Audicity (freeware), so my total cost to get the show recorded was about $39 US (not counting the computer).

I use my MP3 player as a recorder when I'm in the field, please take a listen to my show if you haven't heard it before. I do a little bit of news at the start of each show, then I usually play some audio taken either while caching (with a local association of cachers or with my family), audio taken at an "after caching meetup" or I play an interview with a local cacher (or both), so even if Minnesota caching news doesn't appeal to you, most people still enjoy the audio segment.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have about starting your own podcast. Post it here or email me directly.

http://www.tcgcpc.com