Hike of the Month 2007

TotemLake

I am officially declaring "I'm In".

Will pick up my gear on Saturday. Looks like nothing but more snow!!

So how many do we have now?

Upgrading my particpation status from a definite maybe to a definite definite.

Ironman114 if you want to stop in Federal Way on your way north we could carpool.

I'm counting 10-11 plus Allanon as our cheer leader. For the record, this surpasses the number of people we had on the Lime Kiln hike last year.

Frito pie!!!!???? B) Holy Crow, he just ratcheted the pressure up! Working the phones to get a replacement for my shift and am considering forgoing sleep B) altogether since I get off at 0630. Figure a triple shot of toddy will get me up the pass by 0800, sleep for an hour waiting for everyone...

How useful do you find trek poles? I was talking with a guide in BC a few weeks ago and he thinks they offer a false sense of security.

I'm counting 10-11 plus Allanon as our cheer leader. For the record, this surpasses the number of people we had on the Lime Kiln hike last year.

Frito pie!!!!???? B) Holy Crow, he just ratcheted the pressure up! Working the phones to get a replacement for my shift and am considering forgoing sleep B) altogether since I get off at 0630. Figure a triple shot of toddy will get me up the pass by 0800, sleep for an hour waiting for everyone...

How useful do you find trek poles? I was talking with a guide in BC a few weeks ago and he thinks they offer a false sense of security.

They help your balance while you get used to your shoes. You can't put full dependance on them as you will push the basket down through the snow if you are really off balance. They are also very nice on steep inclines which we shouldn't see here. I also found if you put both poles together after you have fallen and hold them in both hands crosswise on the snowpack, they provide enough floatation to push yourself back up. I can demonstrate a couple of techniques when we are on the snowpack. Landrover and I learned a lot last year on Mt Baker while SquareBear and Criminal looked on. B)

Edited by TotemLake

They help your balance while you get used to your shoes. You can't put full dependance on them as you will push the basket down through the snow if you are really off balance. They are also very nice on steep inclines which we shouldn't see here. I also found if you put both poles together after you have fallen and hold them in both hands crosswise on the snowpack, they provide enough floatation to push yourself back up. I can demonstrate a couple of techniques when we are on the snowpack. Landrover and I learned a lot last year on Mt Baker while SquareBear and Criminal looked on. B)

What he said. Trekking (or ski) poles are a huge help for balance and hills, but you don't put your full weight on them in snow. Cache Ahead forgot hers last year when we snowshoed Mt Baker, and she had a really hard time getting up the hills. The snowshoe to Hollow Tree is much less strenuous, with only mild hills, but I still found the poles useful, esp. for the stream crossing. B)

Unfortunately, something has come up and I won't be able to make it.

Sorry guys and gals...but have fun anyway!

Woot! It'd be great to see you again! Funny you should ask...

Coordinates are:

N47° 47.020'

W121° 2.409'

Exit for Forest Road 6700 and go across the bridge. Road is typically closed for the season, but I don't know how far up. It doesn't look like there's an exit number for this turnoff but it is about 4 miles east of the Stevens Pass ridge.

I'm still planning on a meet up time of 9AM. I will be on FRS 2, HAM 146.52 simplex.

Do you have room for one more? I'm showshoe-enabled and wife- and child-free this weekend!

I saw 9 AM at the trailhead, but does anyone have coordinates for that trailhead?

OK, I posted same time as Totem Lake, so I'll revise:

FS Road 6700 is closed at Hwy 2 in winter. You have to park on Hwy 2 (there's a kind of pullout) and snowshoe up the FS and then go cross-country to the cache. Looks like Totem Lake provided some coords; not sure if they are for the road intersection or what.

The cache page has coords for the suggested spot to leave FS 6700 and start going cross-country (there is no trail). You could use those to navigate to the Hwy 2 parking area, as they are not that far down the FS road.

Edited by hydnsek

YeeHaw :huh: ....(shhhh.....typing from work B) ) I have someone to work for me tonight so I'll be there. I'll even bring the geo-ignorant spouse!

You know, Allanon is baggin' on us because he saw how much frito pie he was going the have to bring since there are so many of us now. :rolleyes:

How long should I expect to beup there?

YeeHaw :sad: ....(shhhh.....typing from work :D ) I have someone to work for me tonight so I'll be there. I'll even bring the geo-ignorant spouse!

You know, Allanon is baggin' on us because he saw how much frito pie he was going the have to bring since there are so many of us now. :sad:

:D

No, I was going to bring what I could and it would have been FCFS...the reason I accepted this other offer was I didn't hear from LR confirming he would pick me up...and I don't have the tires/chains for the pass...and my 4wd isn't reliable.

Well, it's just after 9AM right now and I just woke up. :sad: Looks like I missed the outing. I'm posting here in the hopes that someone is monitoring and can let TotemLake know, as I have no way of contacting him.

I think it's tomorrow, or I missed it as well! :sad:

That looks right, based on this earlier note from Totem Lake:

Hollow Tree it is! With the recent snow storms and more on the way, it's looking pretty good to go. I'm changing the date I'll be going to Sunday morning, the 30th, so my wife can join. She's not a big hiker and we'll probably lag behind but we will have fun all the same.

YeeHaw :D ....(shhhh.....typing from work :D ) I have someone to work for me tonight so I'll be there. I'll even bring the geo-ignorant spouse!

You know, Allanon is baggin' on us because he saw how much frito pie he was going the have to bring since there are so many of us now. :sad:

:sad:

No, I was going to bring what I could and it would have been FCFS...the reason I accepted this other offer was I didn't hear from LR confirming he would pick me up...and I don't have the tires/chains for the pass...and my 4wd isn't reliable.

Sorry Brian,

I wasn't keeping up with the forum and didn't see you wanted to go until after you were out. I would have gladly stopped by and picked you up.

Jeff-

Well, it's just after 9AM right now and I just woke up. :sad: Looks like I missed the outing. I'm posting here in the hopes that someone is monitoring and can let TotemLake know, as I have no way of contacting him.

I think it's tomorrow, or I missed it as well! :sad:

Yep, lucyandrickie just called me to let me know. I had Saturday in my head for some reason. Whew! Looking forward to getting up in time tomorrow (it's nice not having a three-year old in the house for a few days)! :D

Sorry for the confusion. I guess I should have put ALL of the particulars in the coordinates post. I hope somebody didn't arrive today thinking it would be today.

The hike is set for the 30th with a meetup time of 9AM.

Coordinates are:

N47° 47.020'

W121° 2.409'

These coordinates are the turnoff for FR6700... which just might be the pullout Hydnsek mentioned.

Exit for Forest Road 6700 and go across the bridge. Road is typically closed for the season, but I don't know how far up. It doesn't look like there's an exit number for this turnoff but it is about 4 miles east of the Stevens Pass ridge.

I'm still planning on a meet up time of 9AM. I will be on FRS 2, HAM 146.52 simplex.

and to what Hydnsek added:

FS Road 6700 is closed at Hwy 2 in winter. You have to park on Hwy 2 (there's a kind of pullout) and snowshoe up the FS and then go cross-country to the cache. Looks like Totem Lake provided some coords; not sure if they are for the road intersection or what.

The cache page has coords for the suggested spot to leave FS 6700 and start going cross-country (there is no trail). You could use those to navigate to the Hwy 2 parking area, as they are not that far down the FS road.

Hope to see everybody there!

Those of you coming from the wetside, if you miss the turnout, you could be looking at a 4 mile roundtrip detour.

The hike itself is about 2 miles round trip. In deep fresh snow, that's going to be more than just an hour. Depending on your pace given how fit you might be, it could be two or more hours. Again, I'll be taking it easy with my wife because she is not a fast mover. So anybody who wants to lag behind will be welcome company but don't feel bad about pushing ahead. :sad: I only ask one favor, don't trample all over the place to camoflauge the actual hiding area. Those finding it together as a group will have obvious advantages and we would like to see the place left as serene as possible.

Edited by TotemLake

I am officially declaring "I'm In".

Will pick up my gear on Saturday. Looks like nothing but more snow!!

So how many do we have now?

Upgrading my particpation status from a definite maybe to a definite definite.

Ironman114 if you want to stop in Federal Way on your way north we could carpool.

Is this offer still open?

Sending pm with contact info.

Oh dang it I just saw this thread event.... I just got snowshoes... I want to go... :anibad:

I hear they DNF'd the cache so maybe there will be a second assault. I hope so, so I can go! :o

I heard the same thing...

But the snow was fun to watch as it fell and the frito pies seemed to go over OK, if I do say so myself... :o

Most fun I've ever had DNF'ing a cache. Something like 4" of snow fell in 4 hours, not to mention the countless times someone was on their butt, face, or waist deep in the snow. Had to fight the geo-ignorant spouse for the hot water when I got home (got most of it too :anibad: ).

I will definately be on the 2nd assault team (after I water-proof all my equipment)!!!

The frito pie was delish, made better by great company.

I think Mt. Baker will be too far to travel for me round-trip single day..... hmmm. However if snowshoes are involved, I will probably figure out some accomodations :blink: But definately want to get in on a second assault of that cache DNF'd last HOTM.

Edited by Difranco

Thank you everybody for joining me and making 2007 a great year to hike in!

This last hike was a great time even with the DNF. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was perfect.

I want to wish everybody a Happy New Year and point y'all to the HOTM 2008. There will be some repeat hikes to handle some DNFs and just for the sheer fun of repeating it.

I look forward to seeing all of you on the flip side of midnight!