Hike of the Month 2007

TotemLake

From nwsource.com

From Seattle, drive north on I-5 to Everett and Highway 92. Turn east on Highway 92 and drive about 15 miles to the town of Granite Falls and Mountain Loop Highway (Forest Road 20). Continue on Mountain Loop Highway for 15 miles to Forest Road 4020. Turn south on Forest Road 4020 and drive 2.5 miles to Forest Road 4021. Turn right on Forest Road 4021 and drive two miles to the Ashland Lakes Trailhead. Hike in 4.5 miles from the trailhead. (I checked this against S&T and it looks pretty accurate.)

From Kirkland, it is about an 1.5 hour drive.

I'll be bringing my geohound, Penny, as well.

From nwsource.com

From Seattle, drive north on I-5 to Everett and Highway 92. Turn east on Highway 92 and drive about 15 miles to the town of Granite Falls and Mountain Loop Highway (Forest Road 20). Continue on Mountain Loop Highway for 15 miles to Forest Road 4020. Turn south on Forest Road 4020 and drive 2.5 miles to Forest Road 4021. Turn right on Forest Road 4021 and drive two miles to the Ashland Lakes Trailhead. Hike in 4.5 miles from the trailhead. (I checked this against S&T and it looks pretty accurate.)

Since I'm not that familiar with the Mountain Loop Highway, is 4020 north or south of the closure. Neither source may take that into account.

Just a thought.

From nwsource.com

Since I'm not that familiar with the Mountain Loop Highway, is 4020 north or south of the closure. Neither source may take that into account.

Just a thought.

According to this website:

10/24/2007: OPEN

FS Road 4021 is closed due to storm damage and bridge washout. The one mile walk on road is included in trail length.

That is to say, the access to get to this point is open. We will be parking at the washout which is the cache coordinates for the trailhead.

From nwsource.com

Just a thought.

According to this website:

10/24/2007: OPEN

FS Road 4021 is closed due to storm damage and bridge washout. The one mile walk on road is included in trail length.

That is to say, the access to get to this point is open. We will be parking at the washout which is the cache coordinates for the trailhead.

And this website says that the entire Mountain Loop Highway will reopen on October 26 so my question is moot. Mountain Loop is once again a loop. That was my concern.

The Forest Service Road is washed out after the Ashland Lake trailhead. Actually the road Y's and you go strait to a dead end to the Ashland trailhead, while the road contined to the bear and pinnacle lake. Parking is at the true trailhead, with a brand new pit potty. The trailhead to Bear and Pinnacle lake is the only affected. For those lakes you park about a mile away from the true trailhead at GC1476Dand walk around the washout before reaching the real trail head at GC16QFW.

Gosh these trailhead caches are handy!! If I were to find one this month I would nominate them for cache of the month on the WSGA website. So handy for those of us who forget to mark our cars, and for planning a trip.

The road to the trailhead is great. I have driven in my family sedan and rode in a certain somebodys mom's Saturn all the way there without bottoming out.

Unfortunately we have a Halloween party to go to that day, and my girls are dressing up as princesses and I am the only one that can apply glitter make up properly. Anybody want to pack a 30 cal ammo can for me??

Edited by Harriet the Spy

From nwsource.com

From Seattle, drive north on I-5 to Everett and Highway 92. Turn east on Highway 92 and drive....

In Everett, take Highway 2 East to Highway 204, take that to Highway 9, turn north on Highway 9 to Highway 92. If anyone is not familiar with the area, they wouldn't know that Highway 92 does not directly connect to I-5.

I'm not finished posting the pics and tonight is going to make it impossible with how slow the server is.

However, the story is in my DNF (3 of 5 found).

It was a good hike and my geopuppy, Penny, and I, learned how to work with each other and I am truly imprssed at how good a trail hound she has turned into.

All in all, getting to Twin Falls Lake is going to take a good summer day when the boardwalks are nice and dry. I plan on trying this one again next year.

Here's something to wet your whistle though...

ec1c7a86-a338-49c2-b85b-0717cc4bcb19.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

I'm not finished posting the pics and tonight is going to make it impossible with how slow the server is.

It was a good hike and my geopuppy, Penny, and I, learned how to work with each other and I am truly imprssed at how good a trail hound she has turned into.

All in all, getting to Twin Falls Lake is going to take a good summer day when the boardwalks are nice and dry. I plan on trying this one again next year.

Oh no! not the whisky. That sucks. Glad you didn't hurt yourself though.

Thanks! I am the first to admit I was very lucky. I could have easily ended up with a concussion and a wiped out back. Fortunately, my HAM was receiving strong signals from the local repeaters. It would have been a couple of hours easy before anybody showed up to assist if I was incapable of getting myself out.

Thanks! I am the first to admit I was very lucky. I could have easily ended up with a concussion and a wiped out back. Fortunately, my HAM was receiving strong signals from the local repeaters. It would have been a couple of hours easy before anybody showed up to assist if I was incapable of getting myself out.

I really understand, I felt the same way when I wiped out on the bike and cracked those ribs. Oh well, looks like a good area to go back to, in the summer.

Are you sure it wasn't an empty flask that contributed to the fall?? B)

Are you sure it wasn't an empty flask that contributed to the fall?? B)

B)B) I never start the hike with a warm up hit. B) I shudder to think what would have happened if that was a lexan flask or worse yet, glass.

B)

(note to self: bring own flask next time...)

I am disappointed I couldn't go. Looks to be a beautiful area and I will try to go with you on the second attempt then at least you'll have someone who can bandage and drag your sorry butt out... B)

B)

(note to self: bring own flask next time...)

I am disappointed I couldn't go. Looks to be a beautiful area and I will try to go with you on the second attempt then at least you'll have someone who can bandage and drag your sorry butt out... B)

I lost about a shot due to leakage and kept it contained in a ziplock. I didn't do my summit celebratory drink because I didn't make it to the end, but I did have my celebratory drink at the end of the hike. B) The reocvered whiskey is back in its bottle at home waiting for a new flask.

I was fascinated by the change from the young forest at the beginning of the hike to the old growth later on and the change was significant enough it was noticeable at the beginning. I took a lot of pictures, but handshake made most of them pretty crummy.

I was fascinated by the change from the young forest at the beginning of the hike to the old growth later on and the change was significant enough it was noticeable at the beginning. I took a lot of pictures, but handshake made most of them pretty crummy.

What kind of camera are you using?

So it is. I can't schedule earlier; I have too many personal conflicts in the schedule and I don't schedule Sunday's for personal reasons. I'll try to come up with a hike that will be more like a snowshoe warmup and still allow folks to get to the party.

Edited by TotemLake

Next HOTM is scheduled for 12/15 TBD. Trail TBD.

Company party dictates I'm there instead.

:ph34r:

I am looking forward to getting out. Keep us posted.

Klone Lake?

It took Ruck 2 hours to do 2 1/2 miles up a 2200' elevation gain and that was after a 2 mile walk on the road and you want to do that in snowshoes? :ph34r:

I'm hoping you know an easier way in.

I have wanted to try that trail. I am not sure this is the time to try it yet though. I will try to see if it is accessible some day after work next week.

There has been much destruction in the Olympics from the last storm. I was stuck at work Monday and half of Tuesday due to flooding and damaged roads. There is no access north of Hoodsport at this time!!!

Some bridges and many roads suffered damage or were outright destroyed last weekend.

010899ad-cd9f-4e3c-b3e8-d8f5b2026d7b.jpg

This "was" a private driveway. It is now a new canyon about 12 feet deep. It is only 1/2 mile from Hoodsport

a71e14a2-d53a-4a75-8c14-c3365b93472d.jpg

The occupants tried to drive down their driveway despite objection by the local Fire Dept. They survived but their vehicle did not. The large tree on their minivan has already been removed.

The bridge at the bottom of Big Creek has been repaired and is now open.

That's an amazing level of terrain damage. I'll look at alternate locations. If anybody has suggestions for easy to moderate snowshoeing, I'm open. I was looking for the Peninsula area but if that is too damaged to look at right now, then other areas will be considered.

Edited by TotemLake

I have wanted to try that trail. I am not sure this is the time to try it yet though. I will try to see if it is accessible some day after work next week.

There has been much destruction in the Olympics from the last storm. I was stuck at work Monday and half of Tuesday due to flooding and damaged roads. There is no access north of Hoodsport at this time!!!

Some bridges and many roads suffered damage or were outright destroyed last weekend.

010899ad-cd9f-4e3c-b3e8-d8f5b2026d7b.jpg

This "was" a private driveway. It is now a new canyon about 12 feet deep. It is only 1/2 mile from Hoodsport

a71e14a2-d53a-4a75-8c14-c3365b93472d.jpg

The occupants tried to drive down their driveway despite objection by the local Fire Dept. They survived but their vehicle did not. The large tree on their minivan has already been removed.

The bridge at the bottom of Big Creek has been repaired and is now open.

I'm getting ready to go out hiking this morning but it's snowing here at sea level and my Jeep needs new tires so I don't want to drive anywhere. :)

If anybody has suggestions for easy to moderate snowshoeing, I'm open. I was looking for the Peninsula area but if that is too damaged to look at right now, then other areas will be considered.

How about Hollow Tree? I did that one last winter, and it's a nice, easy snowshoe. We took some first-time showshoers and they didn't have a problem, even with the creek crossing and small hills.

The snowshoe caches I know about (including Hollow Tree) are on my Snowshoe Cache bookmark list. I am sure there are more, so I welcome suggestions for additional listings from anyone; this is a public list.

Edited by hydnsek

I saw the pics of that snow bridge. Was there anything supporting it? Like maybe a land bridge? I'm wondering if the snow would be deep enough to support any kind of weight at this time of year.

Yes, tree trunks. We were wary too, until we checked it out.

Ok. 26" base isn't going to be enough snow for a crossing yet. This may be a late January or February hike.

I'm holding off announcing the next hike location while monitoring the snow depth very closely in all of the passes that record snow levels. Everybody except Mt Baker is looking at 2-3 feet. With my weight and pack, I can compress that down to about 4 or 5 inches with snowshoes on. So far, Mt Baker is holding the best snow depth of 6-8 feet.

The next few storms could make Hollow Tree a viable hike in which case I might change it to Sunday so my wife can make it. We just need 2 more feet of snow at Stevens Pass to make a good snow bridge.

If anybody has suggestions for easy to moderate snowshoeing, I'm open. I was looking for the Peninsula area but if that is too damaged to look at right now, then other areas will be considered.

How about Hollow Tree? I did that one last winter, and it's a nice, easy snowshoe. We took some first-time showshoers and they didn't have a problem, even with the creek crossing and small hills.

The snowshoe caches I know about (including Hollow Tree) are on my Snowshoe Cache bookmark list. I am sure there are more, so I welcome suggestions for additional listings from anyone; this is a public list.

Hollow Tree it is! With the recent snow storms and more on the way, it's looking pretty good to go. I'm changing the date I'll be going to Sunday morning, the 30th, so my wife can join. She's not a big hiker and we'll probably lag behind but we will have fun all the same.

Edited by TotemLake

Hollow Tree it is! With the recent snow storms and more on the way, it's looking pretty good to go. I'm changing the date I'll be going to Sunday morning, the 30th, so my wife can join. She's not a big hiker and we'll probably lag behind but we will have fun all the same.

I am going to "try" to make it. I have family in town so making a graceful exit is always tricky. But more importantly, that big package under the tree that I've been shaking for the last week :P sounds like the snow shoes I've wanted and I'll need an excuse to go make sure they'll work... WOO HOO!!!

Well I'm a definite maybe on this one.

Well I'm a definite maybe on this one.

Y'all should shoot Adena (cache ahead) an email, since it's her cache. She doesn't read the forums, but she might like to go with you; I know she wants to get out there and check on it sometime soon (since there are still two cache containers from last winter's escapade).

We found some snow shoes under the tree this morning so we're in :D

OMG you were under my tree this morning as well!!??? :santa:

That box I'd been shaking for over a week WAS a pair showshoes!!! WooHoo!! But....I'm scheduled a night shift on Saturday :santa: so...I'm thinking this nagging cough might get worse or I'll see if I can find someone to take pity on me and switch a shift.