I think we have a fake here!

Buddaman

I know this I just thought this looked alittle wierd and ranted before thinking (like that never happens here) and if this is a person changing there username I fully apologise to this person for the post in the fourm.

please lock or remove this thread.

Edited by Buddaman

Just look at the caches this person has logged in the last couple of days.

what do you think?? fake or not.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....49-278dc6832d05

He/she probably has some explination. Why don't you ask for it via the send message link on the profile?

I sent e-mail allready just waiting for reply(which I doubt I'll get).

Why would you email this person? Does it matter, or affect you if the finds are real or not?

El Diablo

He/she probably has some explination. Why don't you ask for it via the send message link on the profile?

I sent e-mail allready just waiting for reply(which I doubt I'll get).

Why would you email this person? Does it matter, or affect you if the finds are real or not?

El Diablo

Well yes i think it is cheating and wrong Just like some people in this fourm think it is wrong to log 10 finds at a event.

Edited by Buddaman

It doesn't matter what people in this forum think. This is a individual sport/game/hobby. The number of finds that another logs doesn't affect anyone but the person that logged them. If they logged one of your caches and you have verified by the log book that it's untruthful, then you have the right to delete the log.

El Diablo

well i can only think of one explanation this guy had an old username and transfered over to a new one. but if he really found that many in one day... eeh never would happen this guys a liar. sorry dude i dont belive you.

I recently spent days transferring/recreating everything from an old username to a new username. (Sparkeeeee to Team A.C.E.) Getting the dates right, and recreating all the logs, was a pain in the #%*#. I could see where he just decided to log all his old finds without regard to date. That might also explain his multiple numerous logs on previous days.

I finally managed to "adopt" all of my own caches, as well as some of the trackables. It is a very tedious process.

Either way, it makes me no nevermind. It is a very logical conclusion to draw however.

If he is "cheating," he is only cheating himself. I am curious though, just for curiosity's sake. :)

Team A.C.E......errr......Sparkeeeee....errrr....Team A.C.E......now I'm confused ;)

Wow, given that he signs the same log on each cache, and that hes found over 300 in two days.....no way.

I know some folks dont care.....but if the sig ISNT on the log, it doesnt count. For instance, one of my caches is down a fence post a few feet. Its tied to fishing line. One cacher said he found the cache , but couldnt sign the log because it was 2 feet down the post. WEll, DUH? Isnt that part of caching? I could have plenty of logs like that! For instance, I saw your cache, but it was knocked out of the tree on the OTHER side of the fence.....or heres one Ive seen that is really neat. " I found where the cache used to be". And that prson considered it a smiley.

Wow, given that he signs the same log on each cache, and that hes found over 300 in two days.....no way.

I know some folks dont care.....but if the sig ISNT on the log, it doesnt count. For instance, one of my caches is down a fence post a few feet. Its tied to fishing line. One cacher said he found the cache , but couldnt sign the log because it was 2 feet down the post. WEll, DUH? Isnt that part of caching? I could have plenty of logs like that! For instance, I saw your cache, but it was knocked out of the tree on the OTHER side of the fence.....or heres one Ive seen that is really neat. " I found where the cache used to be". And that prson considered it a smiley.

Finding 300 caches in 2 days is no great feat anymore. Do you know if his sig isn't on the log books?

People spend way too much time worrying about what others are doing.

El Diablo

Every cacher I have met has been kind, generous, and, as far as I can tell, honest. (I have only been doing this for eight months though) :)

Knowing that someone was "padding" their numbers would make me disappointed. I do believe that it somewhat "cheapens" geocaching for the rest of us. (Not to some "great" extent, yet.....)

Would I lose sleep over it? Not likely. :)

Team A.C.E. (Sparkeeeee)

P.S. Just my two cents, no need to "pile on." ;)

It doesn't matter what people in this forum think. This is a individual sport/game/hobby. The number of finds that another logs doesn't affect anyone but the person that logged them. If they logged one of your caches and you have verified by the log book that it's untruthful, then you have the right to delete the log.

El Diablo

I know this I just thought this looked alittle wierd and ranted before thinking (like that never happens here) and if this is a person changing there username I fully apologise to this person for the post in the fourm.

It seems to me the "lockdown" of user names (and user name changes in general) has created quite a mess.

Even if this IS a case of username change, there is no way to tell if the logs are legitimate on a given cache unless the user advises his OLD user name which he would have used to sign the cache.

If someone is changing their username and backlogging, they should say "formerly XYZ" in their cut-and-paste log, but there is no way to require that they do so. Also there might be cases where someone wants to "dump" their old username and take up a new one, and still keep their find count, without letting everyone know who they are. They might well be entering the "Cacher protection program" because they ratted out "Bennie". ;)

I see these incidents occuring more frequently lately, or at least getting more "press". I think it is something we'll just have to live with.

It doesn't matter what people in this forum think. This is a individual sport/game/hobby. The number of finds that another logs doesn't affect anyone but the person that logged them.

Yawn! Does that somehow detract from my experience or subtract from my count? Do I really care if somebody wants to cheat at solitaire?

That is a great attitude, if this kind if stuff didn't affect others. However it does. If indeed these finds are phony, what if some of them are on caches that are actually missing? It will tell the geocaching community that the caches are there to be found, causing some people to waste their time looking for them. I know one geocacher who was lured into a fruitless 100 mile RT going after a cache after someone logged a phony find on a cache thought to be missing. Last year I wound up wasting my own time and gas looking for a cache that was no longer there, but had recent phony finds. Wasting other's time through deliberate deception is not harmless fun or akin to "cheating at solitaire".

If the finds are phony they can also delay owner maintenance. I had a cache with several DNFs and I was planning to head out to check on it when a "found it" popped up. I figured it was OK and was ready to put off maintenance until I read the text of the "find" and realized that the cache wasn't actually found. If I didn't read the text, or if the logger lied in his text, then I would not have made a maintenance visit and discovered that the cache had fallen from its hiding place and was nearly impossible to find. That would have resulted in others visiting the cache and wasting their time.

Yeah, phony logs are nothing more than harmless fun. Ha ha ha. Its harmless fun when someone else's ox is being gored, but when it happens to you it's not quite as funny.

Edited by briansnat

El Diablo

As a team that has chached in this area I most certainly understand the concern that Buddaman has put forth.

and it is also true that people play this game the way they wish to ( really the only person that this cacher would be hurting is themself as they have robbed themself of the experiance of visiting these wonderful places).

Also as one that has visited some of these caches I would say it would be pretty close to impossible to have visited them all in the time frame put forth.

As has been suggested though perhaps it is someone that has just changed their account .

Star

Every cacher I have met has been kind, generous, and, as far as I can tell, honest. (I have only been doing this for eight months though).

Knowing that someone was "padding" their numbers would make me disappointed. I do believe that it somewhat "cheapens" geocaching for the rest of us. ... ;)

I've can say that I've pretty much had the same experience as you, and I've been doing this a little longer the eight months. However, I've meet some extremely nice and wonderful people geocaching, yet, they can not resist to "cheating" and padding their numbers.

This completely destroys their integrity, but it doesn't cheapen the game for me one bit. On the other hand, I would love to see their tax returns, I bet they are very creative. :)

First one they logged. Seems to me they were part of a team and is changing names. Got tired of changing the date so just logged them.

June 24, 2004 by MASTER OF MY DOMAIN (353 found)

FOUND IT. NICE CACHE!

[view this log on a separate page]

June 24, 2004 by INDIANA GEO JONES (360 found)

FOUND THIS ONE WITH TEAM PRETORIUS. IF NOT FOR THEM I PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE FOUND IT. GREAT HIDING SPOT

June 24, 2004 by SKULLZNBONES (319 found)

My daughter found this one, I was stumped and looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the cache. Pretorius

I guess the real issue for name changers that causes all the mess is wanting to retain and protect those precious numbers.

If name changers would simply realize that their old profile is still available for viewing any time they want, why does it matter if they start from 0 with a new name?

Relogging after a name change is too much trouble, both for the name changed and for the owners who invariably question the new logs IMO.

Since you now have to open a new account for name change, why not just live with it? Perhaps make a note in the profile, "I logged 456 caches under the name XYZ". If anyone CARES about the name changed's find count, they can simply look at the other profile.

Should GC perhaps publish recommendations or instructions for name changing?

Briansnat, I recognize your respected position in the community and I agree that nothing we do is done in a vacuum- everything has some effect on everyone else and that it is a bummer to be (ostensibly) deliberately misled. But I think it is a little overboard to get upset or disappointed about not finding a cache for any reason.

I also think it is a stretch to assume, lacking other factors or evidence, that a log that turns out to not accurately reflect the current cache conditions is necessiisarily bogus. Cache conditions (missing, wet, damaged, contents) can and do vary and sometimes quite rapidly.

Even if the cases cited had been legitimate logs the outcomes could have still been the same. In this game, things happen. Caches disappear and reappear like magic.

Rather I consider every find a "miracle" of sorts. This piece of relative junk has lain out here in a public place for who knows how long, been handled by who knows how many people with who knows what level of skill or caring, and I FOUND it, presumably right where it was supposed to be.

That sometimes you drive 100 miles and this does not happen, well, you knew (or should have known) that this was a likely outcome when you set out on the trip- regardless of whatever has been logged.

Personally, I get more upset when I drive 100 miles and I can find no legal access point. Still even that is not necessarily someone else's fault.

The thing to do after such a moderate drive (hey I drive a LOT so to me 100 miles aint no big deal :) ) is find another cache or two. Shame that someone would drive 100 miles and only have 1 cache on their list! :)

(arrgh am I being peacemaker again?- where is Jerry when you need him? ;)

I guess the real issue for name changers that causes all the mess is wanting to retain and protect those precious numbers.

It seems that numbers= credibility for some geocachers. (but I'm not naming names ;) ) I wouldn't want to start over for that reason alone.

If name changers would simply realize that their old profile is still available for viewing any time they want, why does it matter if they start from 0 with a new name?

I could think of many reasons why it would matter.

Top of our list.

We hope to come out with a new coin. If we "announce" our new coin, (with our new name) and have "found" only two caches, and have been "members" for less than a week, we will be brutalized.

I've only seen that done about one hundred times or so on these forums. ;)

Another reason I've seen happen: You're not much of a "Team" anymore when you're suddenly separated or divorced, or your significant other dies. (Didn't happen to me personally, but I've seen these happen as well)

Numbers are important to people. Silly or not, they are. To expect people to just "start over" at nothing, after they've spent years accumulating caches, is silly. It obviously matters to them. If I were to hit 2000 finds, have a couple dozen or so caches out, and 50 trackables to boot, I certainly would not want to "start over" at zero, zilch, zip, nada.

If they (we) want to spend the time and effort involved in rebuilding our "history," it should be of little or no concern to anyone as long as we stay within the confines set forth by the powers that be.

If anything, I believe the prohibition against the changing of names should be lifted, although I am sure that there are probably many reasons for it, of which I am unaware. (If someone wants to enlighten me, I would appreciate it)

Not trying to be argumentative, (probably failing in that regards) just sharing the other side of the coin. :)

Team A.C.E. (Sparkeeeee)

Edited by Team A.C.E.
i wonder if this guy knows were talking about him we are like a cult against him

Nah, we're not against him, many have provide possible reasons - what we are debating is the logging practice some assume he's using and determining how the group feels about those practices - not the cacher.

No one with the slightest modicum of self-respect or confidance should care what's said about them here anyway! If some stranger in a forum can cause you to feel bad about what you do then maybe there's reason to question why that is! If you believe yourself to be right what they say will not bother you.

I would no more judge a cacher by his logging standard than an athlete by his stats - he may be a Heisman award winner and still be a complete jerk! He may be an armchair cacher and a really super guy.

Stats mean NOTHING in relation to the person.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm pretty certain this is a name change deal, Sean. I'm pretty sure I know who it is. Better than 50 of the logs are on my caches. When a member of my team split off to have their own account, we were very careful to notify the cache owners what we were doing, and we preserved the proper dates,and that required a lot of work, but we felt a responsibility to do it and we wanted the record to be accurate.. I think that was the proper and respectful way to handle it. Now, we have a bunch of finds on these two days that really occured sometime in the past and those old logs will probably remain. Screws up the books.I'm not sure how I'll handle it. It's not the first time it has happened in this area. And it's happened several times with some cachers around here. :laughing: It's possible they are trying to start a new identity, but that won't work, because their old account will cease to have activity and will be a give-away...

What a fine idea.

This reminds me of the thread in 2002 where a witch hunt was commenced against BruceS because he was finding, like, 30 caches in one day and that was "impossible." Then Bruce came into the thread and posted his techniques for efficient route planning and caching. This was well before the days of GSAK and Google Earth. That one post opened a whole new world for me in this sport.

Witch hunts are nothing new. :laughing:

I don't think this is currently possible, but it might be something for those developers out there to consider in the future.

I know that you can log and post your finds through GSAK (I don't do this myself, but I know others who do). What if you could load the Pocket Query of your found caches into GSAK, sign in with your NEW account name and re-post them all to your new account.

I know that's a tad out there yet, but it's something to consider for those who know how.

Bret

What a fine idea.

This reminds me of the thread in 2002 where a witch hunt was commenced against BruceS because he was finding, like, 30 caches in one day and that was "impossible." Then Bruce came into the thread and posted his techniques for efficient route planning and caching. This was well before the days of GSAK and Google Earth. That one post opened a whole new world for me in this sport.

Witch hunts are nothing new. :laughing:

This thread is not a "witch hunt" and implying it is with a smiley face doesn't make your post any less insulting to those who have posted here. Unless I'm missing your meaning...

The current gist of this thread is about what the proper method should be concerning reclaiming finds on a new account.