Gerbil Cache Video

briansnat

Great video, Brian! Your name has come up several times today as I've been searching for Bergen County (near Ramsey/Mahwah) caches to hunt next week while I'm at my parents' house and childhood home for the holidays! I'm intrigued to find this Gerbil cache. Hoping to follow in many of your footsteps, as we are novice geocachers out to have a good time!

Any suggestions for the best ones, the cream of the crop in that area? We'd like to take Mom and Pop with us, introduce them to the art of treasure hunting! :)

Whoops, should really be logged in with amended username. Problems arose with the ampersand. :)

Arrgh, Marlin, we won't be up there until the evening of the 22nd, otherwise we'd join you! Would love to go on a group outing with some experienced cachers who could teach us, first of all, how to use the durn GPSr. :D

Edited by MacNCheeser

Crap, I wish I knew people were going... Gerbil's on the list of things I want to do in NJ!

I just got it off my list after about 3 years, now it's back on there 'cause I want one of them coins. :D

You are very optimistic thinking there will still be coupons left in 3 years time! :D In the last two days, people from 5 states have already done it or tried it. :)

Great video, Brian! Your name has come up several times today as I've been searching for Bergen County (near Ramsey/Mahwah) caches to hunt next week while I'm at my parents' house and childhood home for the holidays! I'm intrigued to find this Gerbil cache. Hoping to follow in many of your footsteps, as we are novice geocachers out to have a good time!

Any suggestions for the best ones, the cream of the crop in that area? We'd like to take Mom and Pop with us, introduce them to the art of treasure hunting! :)

If your mom and pop are in fairly good shape and don't mind a longer hike, consider Return to Rocky Mountain, Warm Furry Kittens, Fluffy Pink Bunnies or the Ramapo Mtn Micro Challenge. Outstanding views at each of these. A River Runs to It is a shorter hike to a nice waterfall (you can get that on the way to or from Gerbil).

Not much further away are Rotten Ramble, an easy and pleasant walk and the Rotten Pond caches . My new Castle Point and the Nearby Lake View offer great views.

You also won't be far from Harriman State Park and there are a lot of great caches there.

If your mom and pop are in fairly good shape and don't mind a longer hike, consider Return to Rocky Mountain, Warm Furry Kittens, Fluffy Pink Bunnies or the Ramapo Mtn Micro Challenge. Outstanding views at each of these. A River Runs to It is a shorter hike to a nice waterfall (you can get that on the way to or from Gerbil).

Not much further away are Rotten Ramble, an easy and pleasant walk and the Rotten Pond caches . My new Castle Point and the Nearby Lake View offer great views.

You also won't be far from Harriman State Park and there are a lot of great caches there.

Thanks! I've printed a bunch to try....there are quite a few in Ramapo Reservation and at Campgaw (I've actually never been there...curious to see the slopes even if there is no snow!)

I'll be sure to check yours out!! FYI, hubby loves your music selections! :)

Edited by MacNCheeser

Thanks! I've printed a bunch to try....there are quite a few in Ramapo Reservation and at Campgaw (I've actually never been there...curious to see the slopes even if there is no snow!)

I'll be sure to check yours out!! FYI, hubby loves your music selections! :)

Campgaw isn't much of a ski area. Just a bump really. The Campgaw Missle Base cache is a nice walk but as a whole Ramapo Reservation, Ringwood State Park and Ramapo Mtn State Forest have more interesting terrain, nicer views and more to see overall.

As an aside, Campgaw, though very close to the Ramapos is geologically not part of the Ramapo Mtns. It is part of the Watchung range which are more prevalent about 20-30 miles south. That explains why the terrain is markedly different between Campgaw and the Ramapo parks

Edited by briansnat