60csx problem, no backlight, HELP!

red97xj

OK, I have had my BRANDNEW Garmin 60CSX, I have had it for less than 24 hours. It is so cool and has a ton of features, but...

I JUST dropped it off my small desk here about 2.5 feet to a thich carpet. It was on at the time, now the backlight won't come on! I tried to turn it off and on, took out batteries, still not working. I can see the screen with light, and I can tap the power button and see the light scale, I can run it up and down, still no light. Also tried the setup then display, put backlight level at 100%... still notta. I will call Garmin later, just wondering if anyone was up early this morning and have an easy fix.

OK, I have had my BRANDNEW Garmin 60CSX, I have had it for less than 24 hours. It is so cool and has a ton of features, but...

I JUST dropped it off my small desk here about 2.5 feet to a thich carpet. It was on at the time, now the backlight won't come on! I tried to turn it off and on, took out batteries, still not working. I can see the screen with light, and I can tap the power button and see the light scale, I can run it up and down, still no light. Also tried the setup then display, put backlight level at 100%... still notta. I will call Garmin later, just wondering if anyone was up early this morning and have an easy fix.

sorry to say, sound broke to me. I can't believe that small of a drop would break the light..... I've dropped mine much farther wihtout issue.

sorry to say, sound broke to me. I can't believe that small of a drop would break the light..... I've dropped mine much farther wihtout issue.

Sad to say, I just "fixed" it. I say fixed as I tapped it lightly on counter and the backlight came on! Sounds like I got a problem, I will call Garmin in 30min when they open and see what they say... Bummed as I just got this new toy!! Haven't even loaded my City Nav or any cache's!!

That's a bummer! A new toy that's broken out of the box. At least it's a Garmin, so you know you'll be taken care of quickly.

BTW - DO NOT load your city nav until you talk to them, they might just replace the whole unit and if they do, you probably don't want to go thru the hassle of transferring the City Nav license to the new one. See what they say before you load up the software and license that particular unit.

Edited by DocDiTTo

That's a bummer! A new toy that's broken out of the box. At least it's a Garmin, so you know you'll be taken care of quickly.

BTW - DO NOT load your city nav until you talk to them, they might just replace the whole unit and if they do, you probably don't want to go thru the hassle of transferring the City Nav license to the new one. See what they say before you load up the software and license that particular unit.

Good point. TKnowing Garmin, they more than likely would give you a new unlock code or transfer your existing, but as Doc says, that's can be a hassle.

i have the Garmin gpsmap 60 csx myself, and have dropped it countless times !! the design ruggedness of the case can actually take a good impact !

if you cant use the background lighting chances are you might have a defective unit, and its not something you did to cause the problem ..( like the drop ).

now here is the good news...

Garmin has excellent customer service.. talk to thier tech support people and they will either replace your unit or tell you where thier is a authorized repaire station where you can take it to. your unit should still be under warrenty so the cost will be nothing (except a possible shipping charge).

i have the Garmin gpsmap 60 csx myself, and have dropped it countless times !! the design ruggedness of the case can actually take a good impact !

if you cant use the background lighting chances are you might have a defective unit, and its not something you did to cause the problem ..( like the drop ).

now here is the good news...

Garmin has excellent customer service.. talk to thier tech support people and they will either replace your unit or tell you where thier is a authorized repaire station where you can take it to. your unit should still be under warrenty so the cost will be nothing (except a possible shipping charge).

Just to update everyone. I am amazed at Garmin's intense customer service! They had UPS pick it up (no charge to me) then said they will UPS me one as soon as they get me one!!! I think I like Garmin now better than I did before it had problems!!!

They said MAX I would be GPS-less would be 7 days. Can't wait to find my first cache.

We bought the 60csx Nov. 16th. When it arrived the backlight did not come on. We gave it a few taps on the side of the unit and it came on. Since then the backlight has intermittently worked with a few taps. It looks as though there is a loose connection inside. Got to contact Garmin and get this thing replaced. Hopefully this is not a wide spread manufacturing defect.

We bought the 60csx Nov. 16th. When it arrived the backlight did not come on. We gave it a few taps on the side of the unit and it came on. Since then the backlight has intermittently worked with a few taps. It looks as though there is a loose connection inside. Got to contact Garmin and get this thing replaced. Hopefully this is not a wide spread manufacturing defect.

I would call them right away! The longer you wait, I think your odds go down. Mine is enroute now, the did not even hestitate about swapping it, even though I told them I dropped it 25" onto carpet!!

I have done some searching, sounds like it is NOT a common problem!! In fact, to date, we are the only 2 I know of on the web.

In fact, to date, we are the only 2 I know of on the web.

Well, here's number three!!!

I live in The Netherlands, Europe and while on business trip in the USA last week, I bought the GPSMap 60CSx. Had five days of total fun with it, even watched a portion of my flight back on Google earth, when suddenly the light did no longer go on. I have posted a query on Garmin's support site, last Monday, but they have not come back to me at all.

In fact, to date, we are the only 2 I know of on the web.

Well, here's number three!!!

I live in The Netherlands, Europe and while on business trip in the USA last week, I bought the GPSMap 60CSx. Had five days of total fun with it, even watched a portion of my flight back on Google earth, when suddenly the light did no longer go on. I have posted a query on Garmin's support site, last Monday, but they have not come back to me at all.

Call Garmin!!! I used there UPS account, sent it fri, had a new one monday, it has worked flawlessly since! I love it.

Explain a little more the part about "even watched a portion of my flight back on Google earth"

thanks

Call Garmin!!! I used there UPS account, sent it fri, had a new one monday, it has worked flawlessly since! I love it.

Explain a little more the part about "even watched a portion of my flight back on Google earth"

thanks

Call Garmin? I did, only to find out they anticipated at least 20 minutes waiting time! I am not that patient, I guess, and it's not Toll Free outside the US... So I eMailed them, but still haven´t heard anything. I hope I end up just as enthousiastic about them as you are, but some things has to happen before we´re even close... I think I will call them next week, and hope things will work out, because without the backlight, it's pretty close to useless, I'd say.

Google Earth: I had a window seat flying from Houston to Chicago, and the GPS had no problem whatsoever acquiring 5 or more satellites. The sky was clear, so I had good vision on roads, lakes and cities, and the GPS (with USA base map loaded) was telling me which ones I saw and which ones were coming. So cool! Back home, I used the Mapsource program to send the GPS track from GPS to PC, and there's a Menu item that launches Google Earth (if installed) and shows the tracks!

thanks

Call Garmin? I did, only to find out they anticipated at least 20 minutes waiting time! I am not that patient, I guess, and it's not Toll Free outside the US... So I eMailed them, but still haven´t heard anything. I hope I end up just as enthousiastic about them as you are, but some things has to happen before we´re even close... I think I will call them next week, and hope things will work out, because without the backlight, it's pretty close to useless, I'd say.

Google Earth: I had a window seat flying from Houston to Chicago, and the GPS had no problem whatsoever acquiring 5 or more satellites. The sky was clear, so I had good vision on roads, lakes and cities, and the GPS (with USA base map loaded) was telling me which ones I saw and which ones were coming. So cool! Back home, I used the Mapsource program to send the GPS track from GPS to PC, and there's a Menu item that launches Google Earth (if installed) and shows the tracks!

I viewed my tracks in Google Earth... COOL!!

Light back on !!??

I don't get it. During the car trip back home from this morning's hike, suddenly the light came on again, and it hasn't defected since then. At least I can use it again while awaiting Garmin's response... :D

Electronic devices are very sensitive, almost human. So sometime a big wack can make ithem work again ! :D

When mine was "out" I could lightly tap the unit on the counter and get it on, but the same light tap would take it out.... I could take it back and forth like it was a switch. the guys at work said that is how it should work... kinda like clap-on-clap-off lights....... tap-on-tap-off.

SOOO, don't tap it, cause it will go off!!!

I have had trouble with the backlight on my 60csx also. I contacted Garmin and recieved a return code, but before I sent it back the light started working again. I figured if it was not broke they could'nt fix it. Then a month or so later the lights went out again. I found that both times I was in and out of the car a lot grabing urban caches, and I was going on and off the external power a lot. (When plugged in the light is on and when unplugged it goes off) And again before I sent the unit in the light started working again!

Since then I reduced the light to 50% power when on and if I am going to be getting in and out of the car a lot I turn the light off so it is not cycling on-off every time. Since I did this I have had no problems, About 3 months.

I have had trouble with the backlight on my 60csx also. I contacted Garmin and recieved a return code, but before I sent it back the light started working again. I figured if it was not broke they could'nt fix it. Then a month or so later the lights went out again. I found that both times I was in and out of the car a lot grabing urban caches, and I was going on and off the external power a lot. (When plugged in the light is on and when unplugged it goes off) And again before I sent the unit in the light started working again!

Since then I reduced the light to 50% power when on and if I am going to be getting in and out of the car a lot I turn the light off so it is not cycling on-off every time. Since I did this I have had no problems, About 3 months.

I dare ya to tap it on the side on the counter.... more the bottom corner where the rubber is.

If they will fix it now, just get a new one and enjoy it!

I am still waiting for Garmin USA to give me a RMA code. I have called them last Monday and we had quite a lengthy discussion about support from the UK instead of USA (I live in The Netherlands), which would probably mean a replacement of my USA model with a European model. And since I am planning on buying the European City Navigator anyway, I think I am better off having a USA model with the USA basemap preloaded for any future visit to the USA. So, I think I have convinced Garmin USA now, that I want *them* to replace the unit and not the UK.

In the mean time,

My GPS has decided to surprise me all the time. I've seen the light go on, off and on again in only a couple of hours timeframe. At least I am less worried now when it's off: It will go on again. And, contrary to earlier posts, it has nothing to do with tapping, falling, bouncing or worse: Mine has a mind of its own, just like Suscrofa mentioned. Anyhow, I am no longer in doubt as to yes or no returning it. Where is that RMA code !!!???

UPDATE: After my last post things got worse. Most of the times there was no light, and at the end only severe impact from tapping, bending and such would lit the light. Never got the RMA code after my first call with tech supp, so called again last Tuesday. Received the RMA Code, shipped it last Thursday, and am now suffering from the first GPS-less weekend.

UPDATE - Shipped to Garmin: Thu Jan 4 / Received by Garmin: Mon Jan 8 / Received replacement model: Jan 15. Had to pay a little less than EUR 60 for shipping, insurance and receipt (?), but it is good to be back in touch with those satellites...

Now, let's see if this unit's backlight works longer than 5 days...

I had an interesting occurrence yesterday, where I tried to turn the back light on with no luck however the buttons did light up (yes I had it on a high level).

after some time I noticed that battery setting was wrong and upon changing it the back light came on.

Edited to say: I have yet to be able to reconstruct what happened.

Edited by QuigleyJones