Can a 60Cx be made to float?

If it's neutrally boyuant like said above, when you are near water you could put it in a sandwich bag and seal it tight. When the bag is pulled snug over the screen, you will be able to see the screen with very little distortation. The extra air in the bag (even if you try to get most out) should be enough to keep it floating.

Another option would be to make you a small fishing line connected to a large fishing bobber. This would be easy to keep in your bag and attach whenever near the water.

Did you pick neoprene only because it's water proof? Not going to help you much.

An object in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

If that upward force is greater than the weight of the object, it will float.

Neoprene is generally thin. Won't displace much water. Won't help the situation much.

You have to reduce the total weight of the unit, or displace more water with a bulkier lightweight material surrounding the unit. And certainly you want to use a material that will not absorb water.

Did you pick neoprene only because it's water proof? Not going to help you much.

An object in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

If that upward force is greater than the weight of the object, it will float.

Neoprene is generally thin. Won't displace much water. Won't help the situation much.

You have to reduce the total weight of the unit, or displace more water with a bulkier lightweight material surrounding the unit. And certainly you want to use a material that will not absorb water.

I picked neoprene because I know how much more difficult it is to dive whilst snorkelling while wearing a wetsuit. The neoprene makes me more positively bouyant so I wondered whether it would do the same for my GPS. When near water, I intend to be very careful but a little extra security never goes amiss.

Hogrod, why would lithium batteries make any difference?

Regards, Stefan.

And neoprene will help, if it is less dense than water, which I think it is.

I was also assuming neoprene would float.

I didn't say neoprene would not help. I said thin neoprene won't help much.

The thinner it is the less it will help unless it is trapping air inside.

The test is to make/buy your neoprene case and see how much weight you can tie on to it before it sinks.

Thats exactly how much it would help.

And neoprene will help, if it is less dense than water, which I think it is.

I was also assuming neoprene would float.

I didn't say neoprene would not help. I said thin neoprene won't help much.

The thinner it is the less it will help unless it is trapping air inside.

The test is to make/buy your neoprene case and see how much weight you can tie on to it before it sinks.

Thats exactly how much it would help.

??

If neoprene is buoyant at all, then ANY amount of neoprene will help! And as a matter of fact, neoprene is VERY buoyant. Divers add weight to counteract the buoyancy of the neoprenein their wetsuits. Neoprene will lose some if its buoyancy at depth, as the pressure compresses the bubbles trapped in the neoprene.

I tested my legendC and 60cx with energizer E2 lithiums installed and they both float great. I was reading the manual for the lowrance expeditionC and it actually states to use these batterys to get the lowrance unit to float.

lithium batteries don't weigh very much, 1/3-2/3 of a normal battery weight, I guess thats why they float. lithiums also have the added benefit of lasting twice as long.

Edited by hogrod

Take a look at http://www.drypakcase.com. they have a lot of waterproof cases for just about anything.

I have a DP-48S DRY PAK that holds my GPSMAP 60CSx perfectly, and even though the 60CSx has a "waterproof" case, if I'm going to be around water where the GPS can fall into, the extra protection that the case affords is nice. Not to mention the case will make the GPS float. The case is signal transparent, and the front of the case is clear, and you can use any batteries you like.

Hopes this helps

I know, I know, only the 76 series floats, but I've been told that the 60 series is neutrally bouyant and will only sink slowly, so will putting a neoprene case on it help it float long enough to grab it if it fell into deeper water?

As has been said. Yes it will help. So will using Lithium batteries. Between both it will float. Not well, but you won't have to dive for it.

I know, I know, only the 76 series floats, but I've been told that the 60 series is neutrally bouyant and will only sink slowly, so will putting a neoprene case on it help it float long enough to grab it if it fell into deeper water?

First, YES the 60 series can be made to float (some), the 76 seriesis made more for this feature, but, it does have some inherant bouincy (spelling sux). There was a good thread about this awhile back, and a guy made an excelent video using different batteries. Here is the link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2361118443564888241

Also,I use a Gillson neoprene case on my 76CSx, and did a fast search to find they also make a nice one for the 60 series. Here is the link:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=GL0522

In the drop tests, I tended to strike the water in the 2nd drop, and even harder in the 3rd drop. When the GPS hits the water hard, some drops of water may get behind the edges of the battery door, and also in behind the rubber connector covers on the backside of the GPS. If the GPS was gently laid into the water, it will float better, but that is not a real life test, since GPS units tend to hit the water's surface kinda hard, and sometimes the water may leak into the internals of the GPS when it strikes the water just right. So even a cheap ziplock bag is the best bet when out in a boat.

BTW the link to the old thread is in that video of mine, in the discription field

Edited by GOT GPS?