What part of do not hide on private property without permission do you not understand

magellan315

Chad Weldon, assistant bomb squad commander, said that they had found geocache treasures before.

“We encourage people who participate in this not to do it on private property because it causes problems — or in high security places. They should always ask permission if they are going to put them on private property. We would also prefer that they label the outside of the package as to what they are doing so that people understand.”

Seems like a reasonable request to me.

Chad Weldon, assistant bomb squad commander, said that they had found geocache treasures before.

“We encourage people who participate in this not to do it on private property because it causes problems — or in high security places. They should always ask permission if they are going to put them on private property. We would also prefer that they label the outside of the package as to what they are doing so that people understand.”

Agreed. The Authorities won't respond any different but Joe Muggle may not call it in if he realizes it's a cache. The best policy though is to have Joe Muggle not find the cache and not find the cacher in a public area doing goofy things like reaching up the hind end of a horse...

If this is the cache that I'm thinking of, I've found this cache...

The cache in question

Looks like another case where we as finders assume that the necessary permission was obtained before the cache was published, but it looks like that might not be the case here. I remember being a little uneasy while looking for this one, but it was on a weekend, and there weren't too many people around while we were there.

The sculptures themselves are rather interesting. I would have been happier if they hadn't been located next to a bank.

The best policy though is to have Joe Muggle not find the cache and not find the cacher in a public area doing goofy things like reaching up the hind end of a horse...

Woof! :)

time to ban all micros.

:D

What in the world does that have to do with anything in this thread? :)

Caches of all sizes, sorts, and types have had the bomb squad called on them. Rural caches and urban caches have had the bomb squad called in.

you'd think the giant smilie would be a clue that it was a joke, but apparently some people aren't that quick, eh?

:)

The cache in question

I think you have the wrong cache. If somebody can get me the waypoint or a link to the correct cache, I'll be able fix my list.

This is the right cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...45-06675ada7bad

It turns out BOTH 'horses a**' caches are next to Landmark Banks. (just search for landmark bank on the google maps business search, and cross ref with cache locs) But the news article says it was in Sherman, and only the 'II' cache is in Sherman (the other is in Denison)

So.. you archived the wrong cache, reviewer.

Edited by benh57

The cache in question

I think you have the wrong cache. If somebody can get me the waypoint or a link to the correct cache, I'll be able fix my list.

This is the right cache:

It turns out BOTH 'horses a**' caches are next to Landmark Banks. (just search for landmark bank on the google maps business search, and cross ref with cache locs) But the news article says it was in Sherman, and only the 'II' cache is in Sherman (the other is in Denison)

As if the wrong one was placed with permission :)

The cache in question

This is the right cache:

The last finder of the "wrong" cache was definately on a numbers run to the Sherman area, and is definately ffrom Olkahoma, which is obvious from their user name (OK tags mentioned in the article).

The cache in question

This is the right cache:

Now we have archive two caches, better be safe than sorry, have you been to the cache to tell us for sure which one it is ?

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

The cache in question

This is the right cache:

Now we have archive two caches, better be safe than sorry, have you been to the cache to tell us for sure which one it is ?

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

I saw that the first cache was supposedly found the day after the incident happened and that it did not appear to be in the city mentioned in the article. That's what tipped me off that something was amiss. I have corrected my list. Thanks benh57!

Besides the private property aspect, isn't placeing a cache in or on a sculpture or other artwork generally a bad idea for a few reasons anyway?

I've found a number of caches that were on or near sculptures. Other than the fact that these were harder finds because of muggles, I don't see the problem.

Besides the private property aspect, isn't placeing a cache in or on a sculpture or other artwork generally a bad idea for a few reasons anyway?

The only reason to place sculpture in the public arena in a publicly accessable location is for public enjoyment. It would be unreasonable to expect that people will just stand there with their hands behind their backs and enjoy it by looking alone. We had a frisbee golf course laid out at several universities that relied heavilty on the presence of sculpture.

The only reason to place sculpture in the public arena in a publicly accessable location is for public enjoyment. It would be unreasonable to expect that people will just stand there with their hands behind their backs and enjoy it by looking alone. We had a frisbee golf course laid out at several universities that relied heavilty on the presence of sculpture.

Your generalizing instead of keeping key facts in mind.

1. The horses are in the banks parking lot, which means its private property.

2. There is a difference bewteen touching sculptures and sticking your arm inside the rear end of a horse sculpture. This would look very unusual to anyone watching, given a bank is a high secuirty risk it would look very suspicious to any reasonably alert bank employee.

Your generalizing instead of keeping key facts in mind.

1. The horses are in the banks parking lot, which means its private property.

2. There is a difference bewteen touching sculptures and sticking your arm inside the rear end of a horse sculpture. This would look very unusual to anyone watching, given a bank is a high secuirty risk it would look very suspicious to any reasonably alert bank employee.

Your points while entirly true don't change anything about the sculpture being on display and engouraging public enjoyment. The parking lot is likely private property however it is a place of public accomodation and the public is invited. If the sculpture had a barbed wire fence around it, was posted "No tresspassing, private sculpture" or something more specific my generalization would not apply.