New Feature Request: "Discovered" Option for Caches

just B0B

:laughing: I propose adding a "Discovered It" option for logging geocaches. Caches logged with this option would not increment the member's "Found" counter, but would otherwise be treated as a "Finds" when running PQ's or searching for "Nearest Caches I Haven't Found" and so on. This constructive twist to the "Play the Game as You See Fit" chant would allow cacher's to opt out of the "number's" game and play on without the burden of having to manually keep up with what caches had been visited and discovered. (and would instantly make "Discovered It" players better than all the numbers hogs :unsure: )

Oddly enough I seem to remember this being discussed before but I can't seem to find it.

I like the idea. Admittedly I wouldn't use it, but for those people who are vastly concerned about their finds showing up in their profile (so they either log notes or just don't log online) it would still allow them to keep track of which caches they've found while providing feedback to the cache owners, without having to maintain a separate list outside of gc.com.

Of course, I would be more of a proponent of adding an option to just make the find counts on your profile hidden to everyone but yourself, and think that would be easier to implement. But since that idea doesn't seem to get much attention, this is a good solution.

EDIT: removed unnecessary comment.

Edited by ThePropers

Why the big deal on both sides of the aisle so to speak about "numbers"? I guess the solution would be a way for the user to hide find counts and info from others.

Or maybe just the ability to hide the info from others if you wanted to. Kinda like the buddies list mentioned in a different thread. You can select who can see what you have found and things like that.

Why the big deal on both sides of the aisle so to speak about "numbers"? I guess the solution would be a way for the user to hide find counts and info from others.

It's strange. Those who like their numbers post logs and get on with life. Those who hate numbers but want to cout logs and post logs and otherwise be entirly visible, want to opt out of their 'numbers'.

Competitifly anti competitive is how it strikes me.

Regardless of the philosopy,

You can post a note, send an email, write in the physical log but not online then ignore the cache.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Yes we all play our own way. Yet we always manage to shoot down an idea if we don't personally play that way. I don't particularly like Micro's, but I log them if I bother to find them. I like events, but don't personally think you need to "Find" them - so I don't. But I would "Discover" them if they did not screw up my find count. I was at a really cool Steam Engine virtual with a friend. He logged it. I didn't. I would have "Discovered" it. Now please tell me why I am wrong.

Do we really need another log type? Really? I have a feeling these logs can get a bit confuzzling to newbies. (I know it all seems self evident to people here, but try to think back to when you knew nothing about computers, and nothing about caching).

Right now we have

Found it

Didn't Find

Needs Maintenance

Needs Archived

Post a Note

I for one would think that was simple enough, but we still get people posting notes when they mean found, and found when they mean DNF, and Needs Maintenance when they mean Found++NM, etc.

Do we really need to make things even more complicated?

What ever comes out of this discussion, I hope the word “discovered” will not be used. To my opinion, the word “discover” is too unclear and gives too much problems outside the area where English is the native language.

You can see it in the “Discovered it” feature for travel bugs. People mix retrieved and discovered up, just because they do not know the difference.

I have to admit, as a foreigner I can honestly not tell the difference between finding and discovering a cache. To me these words are synonyms.

Zilvervloot.

What ever comes out of this discussion, I hope the word “discovered” will not be used. To my opinion, the word “discover” is too unclear and gives too much problems outside the area where English is the native language.

You can see it in the “Discovered it” feature for travel bugs. People mix retrieved and discovered up, just because they do not know the difference.

I have to admit, as a foreigner I can honestly not tell the difference between finding and discovering a cache. To me these words are synonyms.

Zilvervloot.

I agree - given that I never take the cache with me when I find it, I have discovered it in the TB sense of the word. I like the idea of a revisted the cache rather than leaving a general note though.

How about automatically changing subsequent "Found It" logs to "Revisited it," and not adding to find count?

Why would you want the site to do that?

How about automatically changing subsequent "Found It" logs to "Revisited it," and not adding to find count?

Because there are valid reasons to 'find' one twice.

Personal preference - I can ask for a feature I would want and support, right? I realize, however, that some people will never give up the ability to post multiple Found It's, so it was stirring the pot a little. :huh:

It's too unpopular, don't do it automatically. Either way, I think "revisited it" is much better than "discovered it."

Why would you want the site to do that?

Personal preference - I can ask for a feature I would want and support, right?

Yes. And can't I also ask you why you wanted the feature? I'm curious why you want to remove something that other people enjoy even though it wouldn't change the way you play the game either way.

No need to be so sensitive.

I agree with the folks that say we have enough choices already. I don't want a grocery list of things to wade though every time I get near a cache. The "Note" option is a good catch-all word that covers a lot of contingencies. The contents of the note can spell out the details--without changing the find count.

Edited by Neos2

Or maybe just the ability to hide the info from others if you wanted to. Kinda like the buddies list mentioned in a different thread. You can select who can see what you have found and things like that.

Or if you don't like play the number game let's hide numbers from you, but let other to see them. :laughing:

The "Discovered it" log type for Travel Bugs do, in fact, increment the trackable find count. However I have entered the feature request in Fogbugz, our bug tracking and feature database. Thanks for your suggestion.

Jeremy,

Please do not add a Discover to a cache. This will enable those that only want numbers to totally screw up the systems. Theorically everyone in the system could "Discover" every cache out there.

Right now there are people that are exchanging list of 100's of tracking numbers on coins just so they can have a zillion icons. With coins there is no way to verify except that the owner know it is not correct since the owner may have the coin locked up in his desk.

The "Discovered it" log type for Travel Bugs do, in fact, increment the trackable find count. However I have entered the feature request in Fogbugz, our bug tracking and feature database. Thanks for your suggestion.

Jeremy,

Please do not add a Discover to a cache. This will enable those that only want numbers to totally screw up the systems. Theorically everyone in the system could "Discover" every cache out there.

Right now there are people that are exchanging list of 100's of tracking numbers on coins just so they can have a zillion icons. With coins there is no way to verify except that the owner know it is not correct since the owner may have the coin locked up in his desk.

I agree with txoilgas. I know of some cachers who have horded jeep travel bugs and share them at events. They never logged them as being in their possesion, but it is obvious from their event participation that they have them.

I would opt for a display/not display of stats before I'd support the discovered option for caches.

I found a travelling cache twice (so far), and as both times, the cache was hidden in a different place, by a different hider, I like that my find count shows them each as a find...

Guess that makes you a *cheater* then, sorry but I'm gonna have to stop associating with you! :mad:

/tried to log a cache twice once (moved location), but the owner wouldn't let me. :santa:

For people who do are about numbers and stats, it you want to be #1 in your state or city...you need to know if you are #1 by whatever measuring stick you are using. If Tiger Woods won a tourney and only played hacks, what's the point?

For those who don't care about numbers, it doen't matter one bit.

Then there are those who care in the opposite way and they hate the very thought that someone else might think they are 'good' or 'bad' or whatever their concern is and they want to play Tiger Woods but not have their score count.

A discovered it log isn't a bad solution. The numbers folks can then count find logs or discovered it logs to get a count, the anti numbers, numbers folks can not have a direct find count and feel better while still being counted. :santa:

:santa: I propose adding a "Discovered It" option for logging geocaches. Caches logged with this option would not increment the member's "Found" counter, but would otherwise be treated as a "Finds" when running PQ's or searching for "Nearest Caches I Haven't Found" and so on.

Post a note.

Put it on the ignore list.

Keep GC.com simple

GermanSailor