dangerous areas

sacred6

was this cache intent of infinity?
:)

Anyway, you'll be able to skip most 'dangerous' caches simply by filtering out caches with higher terrain ratings. The problem with identifying all 'dangerous' caches is that we all have different definitions for what is dangerous based on our own experiences, abilities, and sanity.

Erm... sorry, but this doesn't make any sense.

You seem to be asking something about the intentions of the person who placed the cache; can you clarify what you're trying to ask? I'm *guessing* that you're trying to ask if it was intended to be permanent, but I can't tell for sure because of the way you worded it.

Also, no insult intended, but this ties back to what you were told in another thread you started:

You'll get better responses on these forums if you write in standard English. You've chosen to participate in forums that are primarily used by literate adults, and if you want to be an equal participant, you need to adapt your behaviour to fit in as much as possible.

It's the same as if you were to go in real life to a meeting or event where everyone else is an adult; you'd be expected to behave as much like an adult as possible, instead of acting like you were hanging out with a bunch of your friends. If you DID act like you were hanging out with a bunch of your friends, you wouldn't get a very good response from the other participants.

Some would tell you as nicely as possible that you needed to change your behaviour, others would yell at you or be rude.

If your behaviour was really inappropriate - like using bad language, calling people "gay" as if it were an insult, etc. - and you didn't stop after being told it wasn't appropriate, you'd get kicked out.

IOW, nobody expects you to totally act like an adult (if you really are a middle-school age kid, as you've stated in other threads), but you ARE expected to behave appropriately - and it's to your benefit to do so, if you really want to participate.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but because I have relatives your age, and I'm telling you exactly what their parents and I tell them about such things. And we don't say it to THEM to be mean, or controlling, but because we want them to have good experiences and to get along with people of ALL ages, as well as to learn how to behave appropriately when they *are* adults.

Edited by mtn-man

Erm... sorry, but this doesn't make any sense.

You seem to be asking something about the intentions of the person who placed the cache; can you clarify what you're trying to ask? I'm *guessing* that you're trying to ask if it was intended to be permanent, but I can't tell for sure because of the way you worded it.

Also, no insult intended, but this ties back to what you were told in another thread you started:

You'll get better responses on these forums if you write in standard English. You've chosen to participate in forums that are primarily used by literate adults, and if you want to be an equal participant, you need to adapt your behaviour to fit in as much as possible.

It's the same as if you were to go in real life to a meeting or event where everyone else is an adult; you'd be expected to behave as much like an adult as possible, instead of acting like you were hanging out with a bunch of your friends. If you DID act like you were hanging out with a bunch of your friends, you wouldn't get a very good response from the other participants.

Some would tell you as nicely as possible that you needed to change your behaviour, others would yell at you or be rude.

If your behaviour was really inappropriate - like using bad language, calling people "gay" as if it were an insult, etc. - and you didn't stop after being told it wasn't appropriate, you'd get kicked out.

IOW, nobody expects you to totally act like an adult (if you really are a middle-school age kid, as you've stated in other threads), but you ARE expected to behave appropriately - and it's to your benefit to do so, if you really want to participate.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but because I have nieces and nephews and stepkids your age, and I'm telling you exactly what their parents and I tell them about such things. And we don't say it to THEM to be mean, or controlling, but because we want them to have good experiences and to get along with people of ALL ages, as well as to learn how to behave appropriately when they *are* adults.

The name of the cache is Intent of Infinity...

I believe he meant Intent of Infinity, a 5/5-rated cache that requires the seeker to traverse the structure of an abandoned bridge 75 feet above the hard, hard ground.

aHA. Thanks to those who clarified!

Which, of course, fits into the comments/suggestions that s/he should use standard English if s/he wants to be understood - if s/he had bothered to correctly use capital letters and/or to put the name in quotes, the sentence would be comprehensible to those not familiar with the cache.

I say s/he, btw, because there is no clear evidence (unless it was in a post that I've missed) as to the gender of this young person. I know females that age who post in similar style.

I say s/he, btw, because there is no clear evidence (unless it was in a post that I've missed) as to the gender of this young person. I know females that age who post in similar style.

Scratch that - I took a look at his profile, and noticed that one of his teachers has logged on the cache he placed, verifying that yes, this is a male middle-school student.

Makes me wonder if it's the teacher who got the kid into it, since there doesn't seem to be much parental involvement; no logs by parents on the caches, and it looks like no adult supervision/help with the cache placement, either, given that he didn't put a log book in it.

Scratch that - I took a look at his profile, and noticed that one of his teachers has logged on the cache he placed, verifying that yes, this is a male middle-school student.

Makes me wonder if it's the teacher who got the kid into it, since there doesn't seem to be much parental involvement; no logs by parents on the caches, and it looks like no adult supervision/help with the cache placement, either, given that he didn't put a log book in it.

Sheesh!

Give it a rest!

Sheesh!

Give it a rest!

I'm guessing that you're neither a parent nor a teacher, since you apparently don't understand that there are legitimate concerns WRT a 13-year-old child participating unsupervised in adult-oriented activities and online forums - for the KID'S sake.

And as a concerned adult, I like to know for sure whether I AM dealing with a kid on online forums, or whether it's a troll posing as a kid (as several people suggested, some of them in fairly unkind terms, in another thread that he started).

If he were my child, or one of my former students, I'd appreciate people verifying that he IS a kid, as well as letting him know when his behaviour is out of line.

Sheesh!

Give it a rest!

I'm guessing that you're neither a parent nor a teacher, since you apparently don't understand that there are legitimate concerns WRT a 13-year-old child participating unsupervised in adult-oriented activities and online forums - for the KID'S sake.

And as a concerned adult, I like to know for sure whether I AM dealing with a kid on online forums, or whether it's a troll posing as a kid (as several people suggested, some of them in fairly unkind terms, in another thread that he started).

If he were my child, or one of my former students, I'd appreciate people verifying that he IS a kid, as well as letting him know when his behaviour is out of line.

Ummm, these are 'family-friendly' forums. Why would I really care whether a child or an adult started a thread regarding being warned if a cache site is dangerous?

Also, I'm not sure that you can really call geocaching 'adult-oriented'. It is almost certainly 'family oriented'. I'm sure that there are many people who are Sacred6's age who find local caches on their own. I only wish that geocaching existed when I was his age. I would almost certainly scrape up the money to buy a used GPSr and go after as many of them as I could.

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...

Sheesh!

Give it a rest!

I'm guessing that you are in a habit of making rash assumptions based on limited or no evidence and your own personal emotional baggage. Most likely you vote Democrat. :unsure:

Sheesh!

Give it a rest!

I'm guessing that you are in a habit of making rash assumptions based on limited or no evidence and your own personal emotional baggage. Most likely you vote Democrat. :unsure:

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the parents of the little precious to monitor what he's up to, rather than try to make it everyone else's job.

And, before you ask, no, I don't have kids, I'm not a teacher, I'm not a social worker for kids, and I'm not the local crosswalk monitor.

Sheesh!

Give it a rest!

And that comment is uncalled for. Drop the personal insults people.

I'm already cranky since my modem is dead and I'm on dialup.

I'm already cranky since my modem is dead and I'm on dialup.

And to think dial-up is all I have. ;):) Your just spoiled. :unsure::)

Back OT:

Dangerous area icon means that if you do not posses common sense, it might not be the best place for you to go. Otherwise, proceed with caution, and know your limits. (As you should anyway.)

Sheesh!

Give it a rest!

participating unsupervised in adult-oriented activities and online forums - for the KID'S sake.

Hi cimawr,

give the kid a break, I guess everybody here except you understood what he meant, including the non-native speakers. :P

Can you explain to me why Geocaching is "adult-oriented"? And why should a 13 year old not be able to run around in the woods with a GPS?

GermanSailor

give the kid a break, I guess everybody here except you understood what he meant, including the non-native speakers. :(

I doubt that "everybody but me" clearly understood what he was referring to - I don't think it was at all obvious, unless you already knew the name of the cache, especially given the slang and shortcuts he'd used in most of his other posts - and there's really no need for attempting to insult me. Won't work anyway; I don't insult easily. :(

As far as "giving him a break" - if you read some of what he was posting in other threads (including three posts that had to be edited or deleted by the moderators), you might get a better idea of why several people, including myself, decided to say something to him, as well as why I took the trouble to verify whether he really is a child.

The fact that he IS a kid, BTW, doesn't let him off the hook IMO about trying to use correct language, caps, punctuation, etc. when posting. My S.O.'s (kids) are perfectly capable of using such things when it's appropriate, even if they occasionally make mistakes. What matters is that they make the attempt.

Can you explain to me why Geocaching is "adult-oriented"?

First, that needs to be read IN THE CONTEXT IN WHICH I POSTED IT; I clearly referred not only to the activity of seeking caches, but to hiding caches, posting on the geocaching website, and posting in these forums.

As to "adult-oriented", don't fall into the trap of thinking that means "sexual".

I mean it in the sense that while it's something that's perfectly OK for children to participate in IF they do so appropriately - which includes having age-appropriate adult supervision and assitance, as well as not misbehaving - it's not something which was developed or designed with participation by kids in mind, and it's something in which the majority of participants are adults.

I think it's great if kids are caching, just as I think it's wonderful when kids participate in my other sports. I don't think it's great, however, if the kids are dumped on their own without adults who have responsibility, nor if and when they behave inappropriately.

In my other sports (judo and dog agility) kids who act inappropriately, and are not corrected by their parents, ARE corrected by other participants. I don't see that geocaching should be any different.

And why should a 13 year old not be able to run around in the woods with a GPS?

And where did I ever say a 13-yr-old should not be able to do that? Obviously, there's nothing wrong with a kid running around in the woods with a GPS - or even looking for caches while he's doing it. :P

It IS, however, not a good thing when he comes into forums populated by adults and starts making inappropriate posts (and no, I'm not talking about having poor writing skills and using slang).

It can also be a problem if he were to seek caches in places not appropriate for a kid his age to go.

It may be different in Germany, but a LOT of caches in the U.S. are NOT 'in the woods"; they're in urban or suburban areas that aren't necessarily safe or appropriate for a kid on his own, or are dangerous in one way or another. ( Because of that, my S.O. takes his kids caching WITH him, but he also checks out any areas he's not sure of WITHOUT them beforehand. )

It can be a problem if he places caches inappropriately, or poorly.

There was another thread recently about a kid a bit younger than him whose parents had bought him a GPS and were letting him participate, without having any involvement other than driving him where he wanted to go. It became an issue because he placed several caches in inappropriate places, which then had to be archived, and he apparently got pretty upset about it.

If his parents had bothered to actually educate themselves about geocaching, and involve themselves a bit more, the experience would have been a lot better for HIM.

That's precisely my concern about this kid's apparent lack of adult involvement in his participation.

I'm all for letting kids learn by doing, and letting them learn from their mistakes, but also for not setting them up for MAJOR ones because the adults in their lives aren't paying attention, and/or don't really understand what they're doing.

(Edited per request)

Edited by mtn-man

Which, of course, fits into the comments/suggestions that s/he should use standard English if s/he wants to be understood - if s/he had bothered to correctly use capital letters and/or to put the name in quotes, the sentence would be comprehensible to those not familiar with the cache.

I've pretty much given up on proper English being generally used in Internet communications. Some people aren't native English speakers, others may not care to make the effort, and some simply are lousy at writing. Whatever the reason, I finally realized that if I could understand them, then it really didn't matter in informatl environments like this.

Which brings me to the point that I knew exactly what he meant when he asked about "intent of infinity", even though I have never encountered that cache. Of course, I didn't read his post with any preconceived notions about the author, so that lack of baggage may have helped my comprehension.

as a concerned adult, I like to know for sure whether I AM dealing with a kid on online forums, or whether it's a troll posing as a kid

I've never much worried about age online. I deal with people based on their posts. Many adults are immature, and many kids are quite mature. Calendar years don't impress me nearly as much as the communicaitons themselves.

Edited by VeryLost