Really long Multi

Confucius' Cat

From another thread:

Or you could just make it a really long multi... :o:)

Are there any multis that go a long way (distance, not number of stages) between the first and final stages? What is the longest? has anybody done it?

If someone were to place a multi that required a long drive to complete, how many would do it?

Would it be dis-approved (based on the vacation cache guideline)?

What is your thought on the maximum you would travel for say, a 2 or 3 stager? What is the longest you have done.

Any related questions you might like to answer are on-topic IMO.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

I have a 21 stage multi that requires driving all over my area of the Adks, hiking about 20 miles, bush-whacking a couple of mountains, paddling and portages, and a few night-only stages...I think that people do it because it's a bit of a pain...

People who don't want the hassle should, and do, just ignore this one...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

Isn't there a monster 120 ? stage cache across Texas? Wait til one of the TX cachers wanders into the forums. That's my memory anyway. There are some multi state caches now.

And I've done some that drive you all over west central Florida - a series where each cache had stages in four different places, usually with a two stage journey of a couple miles hike at each location to get coords for another an hours drive away. If you hustled hard, you could finish one in a day. There were quite well received. A maintenance hassle to the owner.

I would be very interested in doing a long multi-cache if it were long for a purpose. For example, if it highlighted the best areas of a long hike, or required drives to scenic or historical areas etc. I like caches that show me interesting things or provide nice walks, and I have enjoyed some challenging multi-caches that showed me neat areas or things.

But if a multi-cache were long for no apparent purpose other than to make a long multi-cache, I doubt it would be high on my priority list, if on my list at all.

I have a 21 stage multi that requires driving all over my area of the Adks, hiking about 20 miles, bush-whacking a couple of mountains, paddling and portages, and a few night-only stages...I think that people do it because it's a bit of a pain...

Jamie - NFA

With the right time, funds, and lack of family/work commitments we would love to do a multi like yours. We wholeheartedly agree that as long as there are people who can do it there's no reason not to have them on here, if you can't do it, just ignore or dream from your armchair.

Jamie - NFA

With the right time, funds, and lack of family/work commitments we would love to do a multi like yours. We wholeheartedly agree that as long as there are people who can do it there's no reason not to have them on here, if you can't do it, just ignore or dream from your armchair.

It's been done in as little as a weekend, although 3-5 days probably makes more sense...it takes you to some of my favorite hidden spots in the Adirondacks...if you ever get a chance, come on up and try your luck with The Adirondack Murder Mystery...I love hearing the stories after people finish the thing...

Jamie - NFA

Isn't there a monster 120 ? stage cache across Texas? Wait til one of the TX cachers wanders into the forums. That's my memory anyway. There are some multi state caches now.

And I've done some that drive you all over west central Florida - a series where each cache had stages in four different places, usually with a two stage journey of a couple miles hike at each location to get coords for another an hours drive away. If you hustled hard, you could finish one in a day. There were quite well received. A maintenance hassle to the owner.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...69-a456d47e7bbf

Yep, we have a monster of a multi here in central Texas, with 40 stages, I believe. The waypoint is GCKGF2. It is a lot of fun, but don't expect to finish it in a weekend! I think we did have one couple finish it with a very hard weekend of driving and hunting, but that is a rarity. Total distance (as the crow flies) is 111 miles, from south Austin to Georgetown and many points in between. There have been some maintenance headaches when stages disappear, but if you call our local hotline, they will help you out. See the webpage for more details.

Malia

What I don't understand is if there are so many 'scenic views' and 'great places to visit' along this multi, then why not just put a bunch of individual caches out there? It would certainly get even more people at each spot, and then they also wouldn't have to be visited strictly in sequence... maybe I'm visiting the area of the 4th stage of your long multi, but I'd have no idea that your neat place was somewhere I could go see.... because I'd not been to your other 3 neat places.

I love visiting beautiful places, but I don't always have the time investment, especially if I'm not from 'around here'. :laughing:

We do have one in IN that goes to all the historical markers of Morgan's raid. It is a series, though and not a true multi. You can do them in any order and do as few or as many as you want. you also get 24 smileys if you do them all.

This, as well as the others mentioned by others so far, is not exactly what I had in mind. I am thinking of perhaps at most 3 stages and covering a distance of 100-200 miles with only one smiley for the finder.

If I were to place one, it definitely WOULD take you to places of interest and not to the fartherest super walmarts at the ends of the state.

i would also note the fact that it is a long distance on the cache page.

What I don't understand is if there are so many 'scenic views' and 'great places to visit' along this multi, then why not just put a bunch of individual caches out there? It would certainly get even more people at each spot, and then they also wouldn't have to be visited strictly in sequence... maybe I'm visiting the area of the 4th stage of your long multi, but I'd have no idea that your neat place was somewhere I could go see.... because I'd not been to your other 3 neat places.

I love visiting beautiful places, but I don't always have the time investment, especially if I'm not from 'around here'. :laughing:

I'm not quite sure what my purpose of doing this would be (other than perhaps to boost gasoline sales?)

Your point is very good in that a long distance multi could easily spoil a good spot by virtue of the seeker having to find the stage that is 100 miles away in order to know the other neat place exists. This is a good argument for exception to the 528' rule.

I like challenging caches and multis often provide this. If there are too many stages and each is pretty much the same thing then the cache isn't gonna hold my attention and i may end up not even wanting to even finish it. Try to keep things interesting, maybe different containers and/or hide techniques for each stage for example. The longer distance between stages might slow us down (have to make plans and get prepared ahead of time) but i'd eventually want to try for it. Of course i would hope that there is a good reason why the cache was put out long in the first place. :laughing:

I did one that was five miles between stages. I thought that an inane situation. There are twelve caches in the first park. And fifteen in the second park. I wasn't about to give up the other hunts in the first park to drive to the second, even if I'd known where the coordinates would lead me. Finished off the cache a month or so later.

On the other hand, I did a Drive in the Country with five or six waypoints. I think that that one was ten miles or so, and the waypoints were leading me home, so I kept following them.

I placed a ten stage multi in my area almost a week ago and still have not had a finder. This one will take 30 minutes to walk in and thirty out with out searching for each stage. I have alot of twist and turns in here so overall you may look at 3+ hours of cache time. Not to bad. Look here.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-db1d8b4c0291

Anyone up for a trip to north, MS?

I am curious what the FTF will think of this one. All my stages are within 200 ft of each other.

I placed a ten stage multi in my area almost a week ago and still have not had a finder. This one will take 30 minutes to walk in and thirty out with out searching for each stage. I have alot of twist and turns in here so overall you may look at 3+ hours of cache time. Not to bad. Look here.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-db1d8b4c0291

Anyone up for a trip to north, MS?

I am curious what the FTF will think of this one. All my stages are within 200 ft of each other.

Looks like fun! Maybe next time I'm in Memphis visiting my parents :laughing: