Looking for a good reverberant tunnel or echo space...

Sparrowhawk

I have a musician friend who would love to do a day drive to make spontaneous acoustic music in a nice, large echo-ey tunnel somewhere. Old railroad tunnel would be nice.

Maybe something even more creative... like a huge, empty water tank... who knows? Cave, maybe?

Anyone have any creative suggestions or locations?

The most fun location I ever heard of was a giant cistern in Seattle. The musicians that got to record and play there called it the "Cistern Chapel"

Edited by Sparrowhawk

That tunnel was the first thing that jumped into my mind...

That tunnel has way to many people using it.

How about the Iron Goat Tunnel. Very much similar to the Iron Horse tunnel by I90, except it's over US2 and has a lot fewer people using it. I\\

Aren't those tunnels closed to the public? I thought I saw "don't go in there" signs when I did the Iron Goat Trail last year.

That tunnel has way to many people using it.

How about the Iron Goat Tunnel. Very much similar to the Iron Horse tunnel by I90, except it's over US2 and has a lot fewer people using it. I\\

Aren't those tunnels closed to the public? I thought I saw "don't go in there" signs when I did the Iron Goat Trail last year.

But we did go part way into the long tunnel to grab Goodbye Switchbacks. From Portland that would be a veeerrrryyy long day's drive up and back since you have to go clear up to Stevens Pass to get to it. Also, I don't recall much echo in the tunnel.

Actually, the acoustics / echo-factor in that tunnel are not that great so I doubt it would be worth the trip. I worked in that tunnel full-time for three straight months doing trail restoration while in college in the summer of '94 so I have put in a lot of time in there. Not much echo.

The thought of someone hiking through and running into a musical group is pretty funny though. :)

I have a musician friend who would love to do a day drive to make spontaneous acoustic music in a nice, large echo-ey tunnel somewhere. Old railroad tunnel would be nice.

Maybe something even more creative... like a huge, empty water tank... who knows? Cave, maybe?

The most fun location I ever heard of was a giant cistern in Seattle. The musicians that got to record and play there called it the "Cistern Chapel"

The Oregonian just had an article about a tunnel that was closed on the old gorge hwy, and was now reopened and will become a park. Maybe this would be a great way to break in the "new" historic spot?

The best accoustic echo I've heard to date was in a cemetary up on Skyline above portland. I don't know the name of the cemetary, but I could probably find it on a map without too much problem. Anyway it has a sitting area in it, a round cement slab with marble benches and columns around the outside. If you stand in the exact center and talk you get a great echo effect. If you move a couple inches either way, no echo at all. It's really weird.

The best accoustic echo I've heard to date was in a cemetary up on Skyline above portland. I don't know the name of the cemetary, but I could probably find it on a map without too much problem. Anyway it has a sitting area in it, a round cement slab with marble benches and columns around the outside. If you stand in the exact center and talk you get a great echo effect. If you move a couple inches either way, no echo at all. It's really weird.

I love irony. Sparrowhawk has/had a cache in that very cemetery.

Not what you want, but I ran into an interesting tunnel story about a FTF quest at The Ghost of Cypress Creek cache.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=1946086

I know silos echo. When I was a kid I shot a shotgun off to scare some pigeons out of my granfather's silo and my ears rang for days.