Deleting find logs - Save some keystrokes

Rebel

I delete find logs (gasp!) from time to time, for various reasons.

I always also send a note to the individual telling them why their log was deleted. It'd be pretty helpful when going through the process to delete a log if a text box was available where the reason could be entered. That way the cacher could get the notice that their log was deleted as well as the reason for the deletion. All in one email.

No biggee really, just a suggestion.

I like the idea: one of my logs was deleted recently and the resulting e-mail worried me a little as there was no explanation given. I realised later that I'd inadvertently duplicated the log, so the delete was a tidy-up.

A note would be nice if a DNF was deleted too: after all, why would that happen?

It would probably be OTT (but ideal) to have a selectable list of standard reasons (as an alternative to the mandatory text field), so that deletions are always explained and that cache owners are encouraged to only delete under agreed circumstances.

HH

I consider it inappropriate to delete logs right away without any interaction. Instead I send the offender an email where I explain why I consider his log inappropriate and give him an opportunity to delete or modify his log himself or try to convince me the log entry is worth keeping. Only if he refuses to cooperate or doesn't respond at all, I might delete the log, but I haven't had to do that yet.

In this kind of deletion there is no need for any explanation as the situation was already explained beforehand. And if the offender never read my original email, then it is unlikely he would read the explanation in the deletion email.

I consider it inappropriate to delete logs right away without any interaction.

There are some reasons why a log should be deleted right away. Example: You have a difficult mystery cache. It should be obvious that you don't want any spoilers in the logs. Then someone logs (either Found, DNF or note) with some spoiler and you want to remove it as soon as possible so that as few people as possible can see it. You can't wait to talk with the logger.

Some time ago there were quite many "virtual TBs" "travelling" round the world, people were dropping them in non-virtual caches in countries they had never visited. Most people didn't like the idea. Maybe someone one day decides to make a "virtual account" and virtually log caches around the world. You don't need to ask anything to remove these virtual loggings.