Cheap PMR Radios

lordelph

We thought some PMR walkie talkies would be handy for the Shrops bash, found a cheap pair in Tesco for just £15. Range is advertised as 3km in open country, I tried them this evening and managed at least 1.5km through woodland and rooftops. Perfect for keeping in touch on a campsite!

We thought some PMR walkie talkies would be handy for the Shrops bash, found a cheap pair in Tesco for just £15. Range is advertised as 3km in open country, I tried them this evening and managed at least 1.5km through woodland and rooftops. Perfect for keeping in touch on a campsite!

Do you all use a certain channel ?

Edited by stora

You should specify a sub-channel or you could be drowned out by anyone else using PMR on channel 1. BTW, Channel 1 is traditionally the childrens's channel as they tend to use the first available channel and drown out anythign else.

I assume the Tesco PMRs support the 37 sub channels each channel has or they will be very limited in use. I believe the designated geocaching channel is 2 according to GC.COM FAQ. The main channels 1 to 8 are for listening to all the sub channels in that channel, actual use should be done on a sub-channel.

Edited by Learned Gerbil

These cheap ones don't support CTCSS tones, so as you say, they'll hear the entire channel. Perfect for a busy event though!

(For anyone not familiar with PMR, sub-channels aren't really separate channels, only one person can talk at a time on each of the 8 PMR channels, it's just a way for receivers to squelch out people transmitting with a different squelch tone.)

what where you doing on the roof?

LOL - seriously though, these are great - we use them all the time when in the USA as we can easily stay in touch with one another - some even have 6 miles coverage and are really handy if you are shopping and someone is at home and needs something :lol:

The US equivient of the PMR446 service we have in the UK is called FRS or Family Radio Service. FRS works on different frequencies are not compatible with PMR446 and are illegal to use in the UK. Its very similar to the UK allocation though so you can use it to get an idea of what range you can achieve. In the US there is also the GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service), which allows for higher powers and therefore higher range but this does require a licence.

I know - we keep the radios in one of our homes in the USA and only use them there - I've heard stories that they may interfere with the emergency services frequencies in the UK (could be an urban myth?) so would never try them here.

The US equivient of the PMR446 service we have in the UK is called FRS or Family Radio Service. FRS works on different frequencies are not compatible with PMR446 and are illegal to use in the UK. Its very similar to the UK allocation though so you can use it to get an idea of what range you can achieve. In the US there is also the GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service), which allows for higher powers and therefore higher range but this does require a licence.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

We have had some excellent service from a pair of Binatone radios that we got from the scrap bin in Maplin for £4.99, the only problem was a broken battery wire which took 10 seconds and 1 spot of solder to fix. We did a hill top to hilltop test and had no problems over 5Kms range.

Nice to see that the difference between RF channels and CTCSS(sub channels) was pointed out earlier in the thread ( the number of arguments I have had with supposedly educated people about multiplying RF channels by CTCSS is beyond belief!!)

cheers ab&mb

ps I get the feeling there are a lot more amateurs out there than let on!!!!

Edited by AB&MB

Do remember that the range depends on lots of factors. Six miles might just be achievable in open country but you'd be lucky to get a few hundred yards in a built up area. We use ours at home more than outdoors... Bren's hearing isn't what it was and if one of us is in the garden it's easier to communicate by radio rather than hollering!