The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Hello, my family and I are new to Geocaching and we live in SW Colorado. I thought I would come on here to say hi to other CO geocachers. We are very new to this and went on our first cache hunt today, but alas it wasn't ment to be, I wrote the waypoint wrong so we ended up in City Market parking lot. But I figured out what I did wrong and all of us wll try it again tomorrow. Anyways, "Hello" any tips and advice would be great.

Goodnight

tuxdragon's wife

Hello, my family and I are new to Geocaching and we live in SW Colorado. I thought I would come on here to say hi to other CO geocachers. We are very new to this and went on our first cache hunt today, but alas it wasn't ment to be, I wrote the waypoint wrong so we ended up in City Market parking lot. But I figured out what I did wrong and all of us wll try it again tomorrow. Anyways, "Hello" any tips and advice would be great.

Goodnight

tuxdragon's wife

Hello tuxdragon!

Glad to have you on board. There are plenty of tips and tricks to learn and we will be more than happy to help.

Remember to use Degrees minutes and thousandths minutes (D* mm.mmm') for most coordinates. Example thus N 40° 35.852' W 104° 51.655'

Your GPS booklet will guide you to the proper setting. Most people will be confused thinking the coords are written in Degrees minutes and seconds (D mm' ss") Example thus N 40° 35' 52" W 104° 51' 55"

Here is some helpful tips right from geocaching.

This link brings you to Geocaching Colorado.

This link will lead you to GCCO Forum.

Anyone up for spending a fun day and evening in the mountains with fellow cachers. The first annual Mountain Pizza and 4x4 Caching Adventure event cache has been published. Hope to see everyone on the trail and at the event. RocketMan

Mountain Pizza and 4x4 Caching Adventure

86a19398-c621-43d1-a488-b73e1cd443d1.jpg

Raffle items have been added to the event page, including the grand prize of a Garmin eTrex Venture Cx. Remember the raffle is free. And please don't forget to post your "will attend" logs early so an accurate count can be given to the restaurant. Thanks, RM

eafc97dc-14ba-4fbb-bc9d-2d0026a57485.jpg

Wow, what an awesome weekend. I managed to get out there and do a 4 star terrain cache yesterday. (well, it was more like a 3.5).

I've been looking at that cache, and the others in the area, but haven't yet due to the terrain rating. I don't know if my boys would be able to make it. What's your thoughts (boys are 7 & 5)?

Yeah, I think your boys could do it. The hidden trail is in decent shape and the caches are farily easy to get to.

I joined forces with Cirrus142 today to make a run up Mt. Herman Road and down to the Springs along Rampart Range Road. All of my Off Road Series #5 caches are alive and well now, including the one at Balanced Rock. We did a bunch of fun side trails, testing out our lockers in a couple of places. Cirrus142 even tried to roll his Jeep at one point but all ended well.

2703ee46-35d7-4854-b3a7-47d69988a938.jpg

Road conditions are good. Now go out there are get em!

RM Off Road Series #5 Complete Cache Listing (South to North)

1. Pikes Big View

2. Nice Point of View

3. WOW!

4. Giant Boulder

5. Pikes Peak-A-Boo

6. Lone Rock

7. Sea of Trees

8. Balanced Rock

9. Granite Overlook

10. Boulder Valley

11. Sentry

I joined forces with Cirrus142 today to make a run up Mt. Herman Road and down to the Springs along Rampart Range Road. All of my Off Road Series #5 caches are alive and well...

Woo-HOO!!! Glad to hear it.

Those are some good lookin' red rubi's, guys.

Hello everyone! I haven't geocached in almost 2 years. Just got the eTrex Vista CX today and went and found a micro in the dark...feels good to be back.

HEY!! Welcome back, GeoHoy!!! :anicute::anicute:

Just so you know, the Saxman has a campout event listed for the weekend after the 4th of July. It is west of C. Springs :anicute:

and...

There is a new group in town. GCCO.

Here is the link for the forums as well.

Edited by zoltig

I've been looking at that cache, and the others in the area, but haven't yet due to the terrain rating. I don't know if my boys would be able to make it. What's your thoughts (boys are 7 & 5)?

Chris this LOG shows what some of the young ones can do. After all half of the hike is downhill. And Grayson has hiked to #1 Sons cache, and that is not an easy hike.

Chris this LOG shows what some of the young ones can do. After all half of the hike is downhill. And Grayson has hiked to #1 Sons cache, and that is not an easy hike.

Tahosa, did you mean this log? RM

Hello everyone! I haven't geocached in almost 2 years. Just got the eTrex Vista CX today and went and found a micro in the dark...feels good to be back.

HEY!! Welcome back, GeoHoy!!! ;):(

Just so you know, the Saxman has a campout event listed for the weekend after the 4th of July. It is west of C. Springs :(

and...

There is a new group in town. GCCO.

Here is the link for the forums as well.

Hey Zoltig! Yeah, I did check out the other site for CO. I have posted on there as well. I don't think we're going to make the campout this year, maybe next year if the Air Force hasn't moved us...haha. We do plan on going to the Chili Cookoff. I will be a contestant this year. Hopefully we can get out more since Marek is getting older.

HEY!! Welcome back, GeoHoy!!! :D:D

Just so you know, the Saxman has a campout event listed for the weekend after the 4th of July. It is west of C. Springs B)

Actually, it's west of Castle Rock <_<

...and almost sold out! <_<

I joined forces with Cirrus142 today to make a run up Mt. Herman Road and down to the Springs along Rampart Range Road. All of my Off Road Series #5 caches are alive and well now, including the one at Balanced Rock. We did a bunch of fun side trails, testing out our lockers in a couple of places. Cirrus142 even tried to roll his Jeep at one point but all ended well.

2703ee46-35d7-4854-b3a7-47d69988a938.jpg

Road conditions are good. Now go out there are get em!

RM Off Road Series #5 Complete Cache Listing (South to North)

1. Pikes Big View

2. Nice Point of View

3. WOW!

4. Giant Boulder

5. Pikes Peak-A-Boo

6. Lone Rock

7. Sea of Trees

8. Balanced Rock

9. Granite Overlook

10. Boulder Valley

11. Sentry

I'll have to try out my new tires (and new truck) on some of these trails. I hope this truck is as capable off road as my older Suburban.

94Suburban.jpg

I'll have to try out my new tires (and new truck) on some of these trails. I hope this truck is as capable off road as my older Suburban.

94Suburban.jpg

That's a good looking rig. I think it could make it on any of the RM Off Road series depending on how adventurous you are with it. From what I have heard, that may not be a problem. <_<

Summer is in the air for sure! I talked to someone from the National Forest Service today and they said that Dakan Road and the north end of Rampart Range Road will open up at 6:00 am tomorrow, so my #1 series will be ready for action (only a month later than normal).

RM Off Road Series #1 Complete Cache Listing (North to South)

1. Balanced Boulder

2. Granite Overlook

3. Pikes View

4. Fallen Aspen

5. Valley View

6. Pikes Grand View

Summer is in the air for sure! I talked to someone from the National Forest Service today and they said that Dakan Road and the north end of Rampart Range Road will open up at 6:00 am tomorrow, so my #1 series will be ready for action (only a month later than normal).

1. Balanced Boulder

2. Granite Overlook

3. Pikes View

4. Fallen Aspen

5. Valley View

6. Pikes Grand View

We're planning on doing these tomorrow. :ph34r:

1. Balanced Boulder

2. Granite Overlook

3. Pikes View

4. Fallen Aspen

5. Valley View

6. Pikes Grand View

We're planning on doing these tomorrow. :ph34r:

I made the run today and the road is open now. Caches are in good shape after sitting for the winter. There are a couple of areas near the beginning (North End) where the road is pretty torn up. Your cachemobile should make it through there, but you will have to pick your line carefully and you will need the 4WD. RM

Edit: Here is a photo from today.

6ab24c95-5d64-4e7a-9656-aa098860bedd.jpg

Edited by RocketMan

The Girl's Rule Team is going down to Mondo's Soutern Misery Tuesday night after work.

We are meeting at the dirt lot at Morrison and C470 @ 4:40. We'll be down at the cache

about 5:15- 5:30. All interested parties are welcome to join us.

GCTBAC

GreasePot

1. Balanced Boulder

2. Granite Overlook

3. Pikes View

4. Fallen Aspen

5. Valley View

6. Pikes Grand View

We're planning on doing these tomorrow. :)

I made the run today and the road is open now. Caches are in good shape after sitting for the winter. There are a couple of areas near the beginning (North End) where the road is pretty torn up. Your cachemobile should make it through there, but you will have to pick your line carefully and you will need the 4WD. RM

The road wasn't any worse than it was last summer, but now I have a newer truck :ph34r:

Compare my Suburban's "RocketMan pose" to your Jeep's: :)

13c58036-be91-46f5-b2d2-74de20ab736e.jpg

355038e2-13c6-4807-b69e-e04aab48e190.jpg

The road wasn't any worse than it was last summer, but now I have a newer truck :)

Compare my Suburban's "RocketMan pose" to your Jeep's: :ph34r:

Wow, that really is a long wheel base. I think you could fit two Jeeps in that length. Glad to see that you made it up for the first (or last) part of the series before you got rained out. That's impressive that you made it down the Boulder Valley side trail in that large vehicle. If you could do that, you could for sure make it on the Daken/Long Hollow route where my #1 series is located (the route that just opened up on Saturday).

Edited by RocketMan
I wonder why the 4x4 trails up north here are still locked off?? :ph34r:

I do not know if it a Larimer County thing or what?

I ventured up to Pole Hill (F.A. 122) yesterday, East of Estes Park and the gate was closed and locked. :):)

That road probably doesn't open until Memorial Day. From the Canyon Lake Ranger District:

Road Closures

Most of the off-highway vehicles (OHV) routes are closed during the winter and wet spring months and re-open again near Memorial Day weekend. The routes listed here are the only legitimate OHV routes on the district.

If you give them a call (970-295-6600), they can probably tell you for sure when the trails will open.

RocketMan

Edit: Here is more info on the closures.

Edited by RocketMan
The road wasn't any worse than it was last summer, but now I have a newer truck :ph34r:

Compare my Suburban's "RocketMan pose" to your Jeep's: :)

Wow, that really is a long wheel base. I think you could fit two Jeeps in that length. Glad to see that you made it up for the first (or last) part of the series before you got rained out. That's impressive that you made it down the Boulder Valley side trail in that large vehicle. If you could do that, you could for sure make it on the Daken/Long Hollow route where my #1 series is located (the route that just opened up on Saturday).

The bottom of the Boulder Valley side trail was muddy. I first tried in 2wd, but once I shifted to 4hi I didn't have a problem. It's probably easier in a Jeep, since my long wheelbase meant I had both right tires in the deep (muddy) ruts at the same time. A Jeep would have taken them one at a time.

079e0a1e-8b23-480c-8862-237c5daa5f8d.jpg

I hate to say it, but it could have been worse. Back when we were living in Boulder, we once had baseball sized hail! I still remember the sound of it. Imagine your neighborhood kids throwing a baseball at your house. Now magnify that sound by several hundred. :)

The roofers had no shortage of business that year and you could buy a dimpled car real cheap!

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
079e0a1e-8b23-480c-8862-237c5daa5f8d.jpg

I hate to say it, but it could have been worse. Back when we were living in Boulder, we once had baseball sized hail! I still remember the sound of it. Imagine your neighborhood kids throwing a baseball at your house. Now magnify that sound by several hundred. :)

The roofers had no shortage of business that year and you could buy a dimpled car real cheap!

Actually, that hail shown in the picture sounded pretty bad hitting the house and the few that hit my truck as I was moving it into the garage sounded really bad. They were coming down with serious velocity. I'm sure that baseball sized hail would be bad news.

Hey everybody. New guy here and also from CO, although from the looks of it, most of you are on the front range.

Grand Junction here.

New to this GeoCaching but am enjoying it thoroughly. My daughter and wife also find it fun. I really haven't found that many but am working on it.

I have hidden two caches also, one really close to my house and the other on the way to my Mother in Laws. The second one hasn't been found yet mainly because it's really off the beaten path but if anybody is interested, here it is. GC12X8G

Click Here

Just figured that since this is the CO thread, where better to post this at? :)

Hey everybody. New guy here and also from CO, although from the looks of it, most of you are on the front range.

Grand Junction here.

New to this GeoCaching but am enjoying it thoroughly. My daughter and wife also find it fun. I really haven't found that many but am working on it.

I have hidden two caches also, one really close to my house and the other on the way to my Mother in Laws. The second one hasn't been found yet mainly because it's really off the beaten path but if anybody is interested, here it is. GC12X8G

Click Here

Just figured that since this is the CO thread, where better to post this at? :)

Hi GJStony. Welcome to the forums and geocaching. There is an event out your way in a couple of weeks if you want to meet some other cachers from your area and a few from front range. RocketMan

Dear Santa~

"I know it is a bit early, but would you please bring me a winch? The 'Come-A-Long' and straps are ok but a winch would be a lot better! Thanks Tubby-uhhh I mean Jolly Ol'Elf!"

IMG_0337.jpg

Back side slid off.

IMG_0336.jpg

Close up of back tire sitting on edge of rock.

Actually was just part of the adventure and wasn't worried. :P

Dear Santa~

"I know it is a bit early, but would you please bring me a winch? The 'Come-A-Long' and straps are ok but a winch would be a lot better! Thanks Tubby-uhhh I mean Jolly Ol'Elf!"

IMG_0337.jpg

Back side slid off.

IMG_0336.jpg

Close up of back tire sitting on edge of rock.

Actually was just part of the adventure and wasn't worried. :D

Looks like you maybe needed to activate those lockers in that situation. Glad you got out of it OK.

WOOHOO!!

Chris, Jessie and I were the first ones to go on Moody Hill right after it opened. We saw the Forest Service dudes with OHV coming down the Buckhorn Road and I sez, "I don't suppose they would open Moody Hill today? Nahhh! Not on a Sunday." Well low and behold, THEY DID!!

It wasn't opened yesterday when we came up and I checked the USDA Conditions site this a.m. before heading out and there was no change from yesterday. Which would not be a surprise since it is the weekend.

Made the trip. Had a blast!

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

I headed up today to check out a couple of the trails for the Mountain 4x4 Event. One trail was still blocked by snow at about 10,500 feet and another was blocked by a boulder. Depending on what happens the next couple of weeks, alternate routes may be necessary. You can read my log here. RM

2f433d89-e7c3-4ed8-a0fa-83c1e78a9874.jpg

Looks like you maybe needed to activate those lockers in that situation. Glad you got out of it OK.

I had them engaged. The back end still wanted to push down hill. Upon further thought on the subject, I decided that I probably should have turned more into the turn instead of trying to force my way up into the snow which was on the road. OR, backed into the snow bank before hand so my turning wheels would be pushing instead of pulling.

There was not much road at all here.

I headed up today to check out a couple of the trails for the Mountain 4x4 Event. One trail was still blocked by snow at about 10,500 feet and another was blocked by a boulder. Depending on what happens the next couple of weeks, alternate routes may be necessary. You can read my log here. RM

2f433d89-e7c3-4ed8-a0fa-83c1e78a9874.jpg

Great pics on the log, Dave. As far as the boulder, I think we could probably get that moved with the right persuasion. Say a winch, come-a-long and a rather long pry bar.

Now where did I put that C-4? :D

Great pics on the log, Dave. As far as the boulder, I think we could probably get that moved with the right persuasion. Say a winch, come-a-long and a rather long pry bar.

Now where did I put that C-4? :D

Yeah, I was thinking there may be a way to move that thing, but it is pretty big.

Here another picture of it from a distance for perspective (It's a bit out of focus because I was getting rained on and in a hurry to take the shot before my camera got soaked).

44f1c06f-e866-442a-a61b-bff432dd9734.jpg

Here another picture of it from a distance for perspective (It's a bit out of focus because I was getting rained on and in a hurry to take the shot before my camera got soaked).

44f1c06f-e866-442a-a61b-bff432dd9734.jpg

You don't suppose the Saxman snuck up and placed it there, do you?