With all the geocoins now available, what do the majority want to see in geocoins?

GPX Navigators

With our first event coming up next month (where I hope to generate some enthusiasm for geocoins) and the potential for us to make a coin in the next year, I would like to know what people are looking for in a geocoin. What is it that you prefer to see?

This isn't intened to start any debates or arguments. Instead, I would really like to know what people think so I can pass it on to folks here, and maybe I can learn a thing or three. Please respect people's responses and feelings. :laughing:

In addition, please feel free to add any personal thoughts or other questions to the list. This is just for fun. Thanks!

The questions in no real order - don't feel obligated to answer them all. :D

1) Do you prefer a coin to show something/anything related to geocaching on it?

2) Do you prefer a coin to be strictly about geocaching?

3) Do you prefer personal geocoins and if so do you want it to reflect the caching experience somehow,

not just "Trackable at Geocaching.com"?

4) Do you prefer group geocoins? (Assume here that if it is a group coin it will reflect geocaching in some

way)

5) If you prefer group geocoins, what do you want to see on them?

6) Do you prefer to collect geocoins or send them on caching journeys?

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. :D

8) If you purchase coins, how many sets do you buy and why? Do you keep one and use another for

trading? Or do you make one a trackable and send it on its way?

9) Do you prefer a round coin shape or do you like coins in different shapes?

10) If you have produced a geocoin, what was your reason for doing so?

11) Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable coins? If non-trackable, is it strictly a collector/trade item?

12) If you have sent coins out, approxiamtely how many have you lost?

13) Do you find fewer coins are taken if you drill a hole & attach a tag?

14) What color coins do you prefer? (gold, silver, nickel, etc.)

15) If you put coins in caches, what kinds of journeys do you want the coins to make?

16) What is your opinion on "discovering" a coin?

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? :D

18) What makes a geocoin a good one?

19) Where do you see geocoins going in the future - near and long term?

And just for fun:

What is your favorite kind of coin to collect? (theme; shape; personal; caching related; group; etc.)

What is your favorite coin in your current collection and why?

What coin do you really want to have in your collection?

Thanks everyone for participating. We value your opinions!

Edited: to update questions slightly :lol:

Edited by GPX Navigators

If it doesn't look like a Moun10Bike coin...

Moun10Bike-Geocoin-3_s.jpg

then I guess the next thing I like to see are coins totally related to Geocaching (including Geocachers). My favorites include the LizardToadZ Decypher, Pi Math Puzzle, Anthus Decoder, GC&PC Night Geocaching, UO Trackers, Fire Elemental, and Venona's coin (if it ever comes out).

There's a whole host of other coins I really like but the reasoning may have nothing to do with your project. Personal coins are cool but only to the friends unless there's something that catches my eye. Glowing coins always catch my eye BTW. Same for odd shapes.

The bases for my liking the above coins roots back to my enjoyment of puzzle caches (and there's a couple coins that have neat shapes too.

1539.gif699.gif

945.gif1268.gif

One more thought. If the coin is difficult/impossible to get, it is much more appealing. Did I mention anything about a Moun10Bike coin? :laughing:

Edited by Green Achers

Sometimes.

Not necessarily, but usually I'll definitely want it if it does.

3) Do you prefer personal geocoins?

I like all types of geocoins.

4) If you prefer personal geocoins, do you want it to reflect the caching experience somehow, not just

"Trackable at Geocaching.com"?

Doesn't matter. But personal coins should reflect something about the person who made them.

5) If you like personal geocoins, what do you want to see on them?

See above.

6) Do you prefer group geocoins? (Assume here that if it is a group coin it will reflect geocaching in some

way)

No preference, but I love geocaching org coins.

7) If you prefer group geocoins, what do you want to see on them?

Something that reflects the org and their area.

8) Do you prefer to collect geocoins or send them on caching journeys?

Both. But I collect first and release extras.

9) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. :laughing:

Either.

10) If you purchase coins, how many sets do you buy and why? Do you keep one and use another for

Depends. Price, coin quality, design, art subject, etc, as well as available funds, all dictate how many coins I'll purchase. I buy anywhere from 2-4 of a coin. 97% of the time I keep 1 of the coins for my collection. There have been a few that I was so disappointed with that I sold/released because I simply didn't want to own them. Sometimes I trade my extras, sometimes I ebay my extras and sometimes I release my extras as travellers. Just depends.

11) Do you prefer a round coin shape or do you like coins in different shapes?

Doesn't matter.

12) If you have produced a geocoin, what was your reason for doing so?

Use as a signature item to leave in caches and to trade with other cachers for their coins.

13) Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable coins? If non-trackable, is it strictly a collector/trade item?

Doesn't matter to me. I collect first.

14) If you have sent coins out, approxiamtely how many have you lost?

I think I have 70 trackable coins released now (I have not counted recently). I have lost about 10% of them for various reasons.

15) Do you find fewer coins are taken if you drill a hole & attach a tag?

Yes, without a doubt.

16) What color coins do you prefer? (gold, silver, nickel, etc.)

Doesn't matter. Whatever looks best with the artwork.

17) If you put coins in caches, what kinds of journeys do you want the coins to make?

Most of my coins have generic goals to simply travel and be seen by many people. I release them so people can find them, log them, get the icon and release them for someone else to do the same. A few of mine have goals to find certain cachers or attend events. Most are just to travel tho.

18) What is your opinion on "discovering" a coin?

I didn't like it at first because newer cachers confuse this with picking up the coin. I have had to email tracking numbers several times now or virtually grab and move my own TBs because the cacher screwed up and no longer had the tracking number to fix the problem.

However, with that said, for those that know what they're doing, I love it. I get sick of receiving 50 emails when a TB or coin visits an event, only to be logged in and out of the same place by a bunch of people. Another thing that is a huge plus is that no longer does someone have to rip a trackable out of my inventory to log it. Using events as an example again... I get home from an event, log out the TBs I picked up so that they're in my inventory. Other cachers who saw these trackables at the event can log them without taking these items out of my inventory.

19) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? :lol:

Doesn't matter. While I like to seee real coins traveling, I understand first hand why many don't relelase them. People steal, misplace and simply lose things while caching.

Where do you see geocoins going in the future - near and long term?

As long as there is geocaching, there will be geocoins and cachers who want them.

What is your favorite kind of coin to collect? (theme; shape; personal; caching related; group; etc.)

Personals

I own way to many coins to possibly have a favorite.

Moun10bike Version 1 #7 :D

I think an important question you neglected to ask was what makes a geocoin a GOOD one?

Good quality, thickness of 3.5mm, heavy base metal, and good artwork/concept/theme. I have seen many coins with impeccable artwork ruined by skimping on the end product quality, having a coin too large or too small for the artwork, having the coin too thin, choosing the wrong metal, and so on.

Edited by AtlantaGal

1) Do you prefer a coin to show something/anything related to geocaching on it? yes

2) Do you prefer a coin to be strictly about geocaching? not really

6) Do you prefer group geocoins? (Assume here that if it is a group coin it will reflect geocaching in some

way) No

8) Do you prefer to collect geocoins or send them on caching journeys? collect

9) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. trade

10) If you purchase coins, how many sets do you buy and why? Do you keep one and use another for

trading? Or do you make one a trackable and send it on its way? My norm is to get 2 (1 to keep)

11) Do you prefer a round coin shape or do you like coins in different shapes? round

14) If you have sent coins out, approxiamtely how many have you lost? 5 wins and 0 losses

16) What color coins do you prefer? (gold, silver, nickel, etc.) Nickel copper

17) If you put coins in in caches, what kinds of journeys do you want the coins to make? To keep moving

18) What is your opinion on "discovering" a coin? it's cool

19) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? yes

Final Question:

We want more and there will be more

And just for fun:

What is your favorite kind of coin to collect? (theme; shape; personal; caching related; group; etc.) round State coins

What is your favorite coin in your current collection and why? GeoLuau II Whats it to Ya Big Nose? :unsure:

What coin do you really want to have in your collection? a personal Geocoin of my own :shocked:

Yes

Yes

3) Do you prefer personal geocoins?

Doesn't matter

4) If you prefer personal geocoins, do you want it to reflect the caching experience somehow, not just

"Trackable at Geocaching.com"?

Doesn't matter - personal coins are personal and vary

5) If you like personal geocoins, what do you want to see on them?

See answer 4

6) Do you prefer group geocoins?

I like state, group and event coins

7) If you prefer group geocoins, what do you want to see on them?

something about their area, the event or the state

8) Do you prefer to collect geocoins or send them on caching journeys?

Caching journeys

9) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins?

I try to trade, but when buying is the only option I buy

I usually buy 1 or 2 sets, one to hold on to and one to put into a cache.

11) Do you prefer a round coin shape or do you like coins in different shapes?

Doesn't matter as long as the design works

12) If you have produced a geocoin, what was your reason for doing so?

Signature item, events, state coin, good cause coin, hurricane relief coin

13) Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable coins? If non-trackable, is it strictly a collector/trade item?

Depends if I know the person, I like personals with people I meet and trackables for states etc.

14) If you have sent coins out, approxiamtely how many have you lost?

Released 30 coins, lost 12%

15) Do you find fewer coins are taken if you drill a hole & attach a tag?

Haven't tried that yet

16) What color coins do you prefer? (gold, silver, nickel, etc.)

Whatever looks best with the artwork on the coin

17) If you put coins in caches, what kinds of journeys do you want the coins to make?

I try to add something educational to the coin description then give it a specific goal. it tends to travel better than a generic - cache to cache goal

18) What is your opinion on "discovering" a coin?

I traded for a mount10 bike coin specifically to share with cachers in my area so I would take it to events. So coins and jeeps are fine for discovering. I don't like travel bugs being discovered since there is no point, no new icon, etc.

19) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? wink.gif

Hate it, if you want to drop a coin in a cache do so, don't be a baby and drop a laminated card version. If you want the coin in your collection, don't send it into the wild.

Near term with the 250 coins per icon and EV prefix, you are going to see more event and personal coins. In the long term geocoins will die down as people burn out with it. Just like any other hobby, it will peak and then become a subnote to caching. With more and more geocoins, not going into caches for people to find, people will lose interest. You can only log a coin once so once you have shown it to everyone in your area, it will rarely get logged.

Ones that mean something to me - the ones people gave me personally as a thank you or as a trade. I got a delaware coin from a cacher and it meant more than just purchasing it from the coin forum.

Avroair - cause it's mine

I would like to have any coin of people who I have met in my travels

I think there are 4 factors that go into a good coin:

Artwork --- good clear artwork that is recognizable or interesting

Theme or idea --- is it original and executed well with the artwork

Cost --- is the coin reasonably priced

Minting --- Was the right metal and size chosen for the coin

I have seen good ideas for coins lack in minting or cost, and vice versa

:shocked:

The questions in no real order - don't feel obligated to answer them all. :shocked:

-- Yes. Hence the term GEO-coin

-- No. I like it to have "personality" of an area or person

3) Do you prefer personal geocoins and if so do you want it to reflect the caching experience somehow,

-- I'm off trackables. If I want to track it, I will attach a TB tag (drill or loop)

4) Do you prefer group geocoins? (Assume here that if it is a group coin it will reflect geocaching in some

way)

-- No preference on group over individual

-- No preference. On group coins, I want to know where it is from via distinct features

-- I do both

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. :unsure:

-- I like getting them as gifts! (and also giving them as gifts -- so I guess that's trading)

8) If you purchase coins, how many sets do you buy and why? Do you keep one and use another for

-- When I buy, I ussually get 1-6 coins. 1 for collecting, the rest for caching and limited trading

-- Geobones are bone-shaped to reflect my caching name -- so a custom shape with a "purpose" is something I obviously enjoy. Custom shapes for no reason are something I actually don't like as much as a round coin.

-- signature item for the Geobones and my newest coin. The Red-handed was produced to create an inexpensive, trackable, clearly intentioned coin.

11) Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable coins? If non-trackable, is it strictly a collector/trade item?

-- non-trackables. It's easy to attach a TB tag on those that are intended to travel

-- Over 100, lost about 20

-- nope. Thieves are thieves. I scratch them, attach a tag, etc, and they still get pinched if they are in the wrong place and meet up with a scum-sucking thief :blink:

-- I like darker, heavier looking coins with an "old-world" look

15) If you put coins in caches, what kinds of journeys do you want the coins to make?

-- some have specific missions -- many just seek to travel

-- Love it. It cuts down on logs and gets folks their icon.

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? :huh:

-- not really

-- simplicity and focus. One Side: Geo-theme Two Side: Personalization to cacher or organization

-- Coins that do not try to over-design themselves!

Final Question:

-- they will crash and burn like Beanie Babies. Some will still collect. Many will still use them as intended originally -- signature items.

And just for fun:

-- I like meeting fellow cachers and getting their coin. I also like coins from my "forum" friends -- folks that I "recognize" from here.

-- My Geobone. It means a lot to me and is heavy enough to defend myself with in the event of an emergency! I also have a small collection of coins that I traded with people for and mean a lot because I feel I "know" them (even if we haven't met). I'd put a list here, but fear I would forget someone! In fact, one of my favourite signature item isn't a coin at all -- it's a shotglass! (if you've been in the forums from before the days of the geocoin section, you'll know what I'm taking about). Another favourite is a Kokopelli carving in a chunk of rock.

-- the one I get from the next nice cacher I meet or communicate with. I'd like a Jeremy personal coin as he is the "founder" of all this madness. (no....I don't think it acually exists)

Thanks everyone for participating. We value your opinions!

Edited: to update questions slightly :D

In no particular order or necessarily relation to the original post :unsure:

I like personal geocoins, trackable or not, as long as it somehow relates to the cacher/team. I don't care if the personal coin has any other relation to geocaching on it.

I like orginisation coins, again, trackable or not, and relating to the orginisation and/or its region.

There are now very few other coins that I collect. I think that geocoins have moved on from their signature item roots and now become a profit center. Though I have seen afew recent postings showing that some still are keeping to the roots.

I do not buy personal geocoins. I will trade for them. I don't have a desire to have one of everything out there. I particularly enjoy the coins that have a personal connection. Such as the Team LightningBugs coin because we have met them on several occasions. (we still have one set aside for you) Others would include BeermanQC because I'm a homebrewer, WorkerOfWood because I'm a woodworker, Geometeacher because the Mrs was a teacher. There are several others in there as well. If I ask to trade for your coin, you can be sure it is due to a personal link of some nature (I'll likely even mention in in the request). If I haven't asked for yours and you are interested in ours, let me know, I'll trade.

I'll also be dropping some of them in caches.

Ours was produced for use as a special signature item. I'm still making some of our shrinkydinks, and may do some wooden nickels as well.

I've released some of the extra coins as travellers, afew are in a geocoin race (one in 3rd place in distance right now, but with only 3 cache placements! and currently on a thousand mile or so trip to the next drop) Some I've sold on e-bay, I've traded some, and sold some directly to fellow cachers.

I know I didn't answer all of the questions, but if you read some of the various other threads you know my answers :shocked:

Absolutely. Otherwise they are coins like any other out there. I got a free Star Wars coin for buying Episode III early, but I would never think to put a GC tracking number on it. B)

Yup - same answer as above - unless it's a sig item/coin. Then it should reflect the owner as well.

I really only (now) collect personal coins from people that I've met or have a "relationship" with through the boards. Not jsut names I've seen.

way)

I do like the idea of groups/organizations putting out coins to refelct them and using those funds for thier orgs, yes.

Something related to the org. Not just a random coin stamped with "xxx group" and a tracking number.

Both.

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. B)

At this point, trade since I have so many spares. Unless it's something like the APE coin that was limited in availability.

2-3 depending on whether I want one extra to trade. One to keep, one to send along, one to rule them all....whoops, wrong context! :huh:

Round.

Early on - to produce coisn for cachers with canines. Once the market exploded I lost interest and went to making coins for our local group(s). Much more fun to make something representative of the locals. Last coin = personal.

For collecting, doesn't matter. For setting free, obvisouly trackable.

2 of about 12 (trackable) so far. Have to get off my butt and tag and release the next 6 I have ready.

Hard to tell yet....

No preference. Some designs look better in some finishes - so it's dependant on the design/artwork.

Some want to go to thier state and back (Iowa coin to Iowa for example). Most are jsut general movers.

Not my cup of tea, but some like it. To each thier own.

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? B)

Not at all.

Good design, fair price and related to caching.

Final Question:

Good, my fingers are tired.

Hopefully, a shift back to sig items and relevant coins. We'll see....

What the @#*&@^$% - you said Final above!!

Fine, state and org coins.

Honestly, cannot pick one.

I can't think of something at this point that I don't have, but really want. I don't have a few of the early sig coins (indydiver, etc.) but since I don't know them, I don't really have a desire for it either.

I could say, a spare Moun10Bike v1. I need to put my daughter through school someday! ;)

Thanks everyone for participating.

You are welcome. Where's my free toaster?

[/b]

edit: formatting

Edited by kealia

doesn't matter

way)

usually.. I only buy personal coins if they are interesting in some way, but I might buy a group/state coin even if they are boring.

I release almost all of them

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker.

purchase, since I don't have a lot for trading

I used to only buy one, but now I started buying two, so I can trade one

different shapes!

I almost never buy non-trackable or non-icon ones.

it's great

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you?

no.. I don't see the point.

A cool design. sorry I can't be more specific. I know a cool coin when I see it. :huh: Something creative. Also, it should be 3-D. I avoid coins that have flat enamel over a picture. I prefer something with depth.

The SEPAG coin is probably my favorite.

Edited by pfalstad

Yes, very much. If it's not caching related, drop the GEO from the name and just call it a coin.

See answer to 1.

Again, relating to answer one, if the coin doesn't include some sort of relation to geocaching, then it shouldn't have a GC.com tracking number.

way)

Team, Region, State, Country, Event... they all reflect upon the people that "Geocache" in that area. That works for me.

Something unique about who they represent.

I was one of the first people to have their trackable coins end up on eBay. I only release un-registered coins as gifts to the next finder. They can keep or pass along as they want.

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker.

If its a coin that I probably won't be able to trade for that I really like, I'll buy it.

I used to buy more than two if the price was right. If my financial situation turns around, I may return to that practice.

Round coins are the easiest for my to put into my binders, but a unique shape can make a mediocre concept turn into a great geocoin design.

I thought I had a pretty good idea for a unique signature item.

I think that trackability is a double-edged sword. While it's great for people to track the travels of a coin and for folks to add icons to their profile... it also give coins that have no geocaching value a foothold in a new market that they really shouldn't be in.

Pretty much all of them. Since I didn't register most of them, it wasn't a loss. The pair that I did register, one has been gone for almost 4 years (not GC.com trackable, but trackable none the less.) The very first coin I released had an interesting journey including an auction on eBay, but it's back in my collection now.

Once a coin is release, anything can happen to it. Travelbugs disappear all the time too.

Metallic... not organic (metal not wood) It's really defining a color as much as defining the coin material. I really don't have a preference to the color if the metal as long as it enhances the design.

A journey that avoids the auction block! If it finds a nice home with a collector, I hope they appreciate the gift. (remember, I don't leave activated coins)

It's a great way to keep coin traveling distances accurate, and allow people who have seen the coin an simple way to include their thoughts about the coins.

A copy of a dollar bill won't work at the bank, why on earth should a copy of a coin work in a cache!

One that represents a unique side of geocaching and incorporates something special about the person or organization that put out the coin.

Not allways.

No, loved the POW/MIA coin

I like personals that show something about the cachers on the coin.

way)

No

Somthing that refects the group and their area.

Both.

Both.

I just depends on the coin, if I think it will be a HTF coin I might buy more for futures sales or trades.

Either.

Loved geocoins and just wanted to make our own, for a good price and hopfully see them in caches.

I like both, if its non-trackable it must be personal or from an org or I am not interested.

2 out of approx. 16.

I have heard that it works but dont have the time to do it.

Almost always silver, some coins look good in gold but I dont like shiny coins I like the antique look alot.

Almost all of our coins have one goal just to travel and not get nabbed, I think that TBs should be used for more specific goals coins should just travel and bring joy to all that find.

Love it, use it allot.

We HATE to find a picture or any type of copy it is super lame and big let down when you find a copy.

Low price, overpriced coins are lame by default.

I think that they are going to go back to the way they were and not be such a profit making thing like they were a few months back, maybe..

20) What is your favorite kind of coin to collect? (theme; shape; personal; caching related; group; etc.)

I like a coin that had some real thought put into it and time to make it not just a 24 clip art slap together job, and that has a cool icon to go with it.

21) What is your favorite coin in your current collection and why?

My BadAndy; when we first started caching I saw the icon and searched around for some caches that had the coin and off we went but every time we missed the coin, the owner/maker (a local cacher) of the coin heard about our troubles and told me where on was and adopted it to me.

22) What coin do you really want to have in your collection?

I know the standard response is any Moun10bike but, I would really love to have the whole Tiki set I love those coins but dont have a one.

edit: argh! quote tags are killing me......what's the deal? Anybody want to tell me why this isn't working? Never had this problem before...

I played around with your post for a while, and then tested a generic version of it and found that you can have 10 quote blocks, but the 11th will cause all of the qoutes to stop working. So, since there is obviously nothing inherently wrong with this, the fault lies with the OP asking too many questions... :huh:

--Marky

edit: argh! quote tags are killing me......what's the deal? Anybody want to tell me why this isn't working? Never had this problem before...

I played around with your post for a while, and then tested a generic version of it and found that you can have 10 quote blocks, but the 11th will cause all of the qoutes to stop working. So, since there is obviously nothing inherently wrong with this, the fault lies with the OP asking too many questions... :huh:

--Marky

If you just copy the text straight from the OP, and paste it into the reply section, it works fine.

Drop the quoting brackets and just list the question.

edit: corrected grammer

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

1) Do you prefer a coin to show something/anything related to geocaching on it?On the whole, yes.

2) Do you prefer a coin to be strictly about geocaching?Again, Yes.

not just "Trackable at Geocaching.com"?That would seem to be the point of a personal geocoin

way)I have nothing against group geocoins.

5) If you prefer group geocoins, what do you want to see on them?No real preference here

6) Do you prefer to collect geocoins or send them on caching journeys?I do both.

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. wink.gifI'm only just building my collection so I don't have a whole lot to trade with

trading? Or do you make one a trackable and send it on its way?Right now, just 1 because the wifey says so.

9) Do you prefer a round coin shape or do you like coins in different shapes?They both have their plusses. As long as the different shape makes sense, like the mushroom, labybug, or train, it's cool

10) If you have produced a geocoin, what was your reason for doing so?N/A

11) Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable coins? If non-trackable, is it strictly a collector/trade item?I Prefer Trackable, though if I produce my own coin, that may change as I think the $1.50 per tracking number is a bit excessive

12) If you have sent coins out, approxiamtely how many have you lost?Only 2 out so far and none lost yet

13) Do you find fewer coins are taken if you drill a hole & attach a tag?I don't have enough experience to make a judgement on that

14) What color coins do you prefer? (gold, silver, nickel, etc.) I think it depends more on the design than a general preference. Some finishes just look better with certain designs and color combinations.

15) If you put coins in caches, what kinds of journeys do you want the coins to make?I haven't really established specific missions for my coins

16) What is your opinion on "discovering" a coin?Discovering at a cache is cool. Discovering at an event, I think, is just trying to pad your icon stats.

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? wink.gifSome do. Some are really nicely done whereas some are put through a black and white copier. I do understand people wanting to protect their investment.

18) What makes a geocoin a good one? Quality, unique design that is not commercially influenced.

19) Where do you see geocoins going in the future - near and long term? Again, not enough experience to make a sound judgement.

NO

2) Do you prefer a coin to be strictly about geocaching? -

NO

not just "Trackable at Geocaching.com"? -

Personal Coins should reflect the maker

5) If you prefer group geocoins, what do you want to see on them? -

They should reflect the group

6) Do you prefer to collect geocoins or send them on caching journeys? -

Both, but lately have been puting out a lot of unactivated coins for people to find and keep. Put one out today. - AND NO I HAVE NOT LOGGED IT YET SO YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I LEFT IT.

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. - Buy more than trade but like both.

trading? Or do you make one a trackable and send it on its way? - Mostly buy 1-5 but not always.

9) Do you prefer a round coin shape or do you like coins in different shapes? - What ever looks good.

10) If you have produced a geocoin, what was your reason for doing so? - Because I like geocoins.

11) Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable coins? If non-trackable, is it strictly a collector/trade item? Trackable for non personals and trackable is nice for personals, but adds to cost.

12) If you have sent coins out, approxiamtely how many have you lost? - I have about 26 activated and about 20 traveling. Two confirmed missing. - I have probably put out 30 - 50 unactivated coins in the last three months. Actually get a lot of pleasure knowing people can find a real treaure.

13) Do you find fewer coins are taken if you drill a hole & attach a tag? - Probably works better, but cant bring myself to do that.

14) What color coins do you prefer? (gold, silver, nickel, etc.) - Depends on the design

15) If you put coins in caches, what kinds of journeys do you want the coins to make? - Mostly to travel from cache to cache.

16) What is your opinion on "discovering" a coin? - Great idea. On the rare times I find an activted coin I will generally discover it and leave it for the next person.

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? - NOPE NEVER I can see pictures of coins on the web.

18) What makes a geocoin a good one? - Totally subjective. What ever I like or you like.

19) Where do you see geocoins going in the future - near and long term? - More buyers / collectors being more selective about the coins they buy or trade for.

And just for fun:

What is your favorite coin in your current collection and why? San Franciso because it was my first coin.

What coin do you really want to have in your collection? The ones I dont have.

My general preference is for a geocoin that is about the creator or about a geographic area. Having said that, overall attractiveness of design goes farther than any "about" the coin might have.

I am indifferent, although I like it if it reflects the coin creator's geocaching experience in some way.

I like to do both. Over time, most of my geocoins will get sent on their way, however.

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. ;)

I prefer purchase. When you trade, someone has to pay for that trade financially. Also, since I know that all geocoins have a creation cost in the $5 to $9 range, I find it difficult to make trades that are decidedly one-sided (483948230123 coins for a moun10bike? yeah, right). A purchase is cleaner, neater, and encourages people to maybe make a little profit so they can release another coin!

I do trades, but it's definitely not a focus.

usually 2 or 3. The first one goes into collection, the second is released as a TB, and the third goes in the trade pile.

Ego. Practice. Something I've wanted to do for a couple years. Back in 2004 when I first heard of geocoins, there wasn't much in the way of selection. Just happened to take me 2 years to get off my butt and make one.

Trackable, and yes. This is probably related to the purchase thing. If it's not trackable, it really is a fancy sig item - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but a trackable coin can be used as a travel bug and to me, that makes it more purchaseable.

My current coin burn rate is about 30-40%. I'd have to go add up the numbers, but it is something like that. Generally, if the coins make it through the first 6 months, they're good for a long time.

My burn rate on regular travel bugs is also 25%, so I'd have to say "no".

I suppose it really depends on the design, but I prefer to have more metal showing than enamel. A mostly-enamel coin reminds me of a "pog".

Because I prefer geography-related coins, the general mission for coins I release is to travel to whatever geography the coin represents, and return.

It's further proof of what I said almost from day one "It's all about the numbers and anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves." If it wasn't about the numbers, we wouldn't need find tallies, icons, or discovery.

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? :)

Depends why there is a copy. For a TB or coin that has been destroyed before completing its mission, sure, that's ok. If the purpose of the copy is simply so the originator can keep the real copy safe, then no, I think that's the ultimate cheese, and relates directly to the point above (it's all about giving people an icon, not circulating a cool item). I'd feel cheated if I found one. It's no different than wearing a fake rolex and trying to pass it off as real.

Aesthetically pleasing design, good heft, lots of metal.

The market is saturated, people aren't going to be able to recover costs. As a result, less people will continue to make coins. Better designers will continue to be able to pump them out, thereby making a miniature industry. Personal coins as signature items will return, simply because the icon and tracking fees are really excessive for the amount of work that is done on the gc.com end. I think this transition has already started and will continue to its logical end over the next 1.5-3 years.

Geography related: country, province/state, geographic location, etc.

GAGE8 (satin gold) or damenace. The former because it's one of only 5 made and it's the first coin I designed. The latter becaues it's just so unique.

I have no overpowering desire to have any specific coin in my collection (see question 7).

An interesting survey. Had to let this simmer for a day or two before answering...

Yeah, but I'm not slavish about it. Probably half the coins that we've bought have no obvious, direct connection to geocaching, as such. Still, coins such as Crake's Monarch butterfly can be connected to the hobby easily enough; we've seen lots of butterflies while caching. Sometimes the designs are just too good not to get a couple of them :D

No, as implied in the above. But it doesn't hurt :D

Personals are great, but they aren't all we buy. But I would say that a true "personal geocoin" must have some direct connection to geocaching, in some way, or we probably won't be interested. If a personal coin doesn't have a connection to geoaching, then it isn't a geocoin, IMHO.

way)

No preference either way. But as with personals, a group geocoin should have a direct connection to geocaching, and to the area that the group is from. Conejo Cachers did a geocoin a couple of years ago, and it has an oak tree on it, which directly ties it to Thousand Oaks, CA. Group coins should really do something similar.

Both. We keep one of each coin that really appeals (Tracking Time, the Four Seasons series of triplewisdom, as two examples), but we send out far more than we keep. It's rare for us to buy only one of a coin; if we do, it's for sending out into the world.

7) Do you prefer to purchase or trade coins? Of course this is always dependent upon the local banker. ;)

Haven't traded any; too busy buying them and dropping them into caches! :D But we've been trying to buy an extra of some here and there, to use as "trade bait".

As stated above, most of the ones we buy are for putting in caches, but we do keep a few of the ones that really appeal to us. For most coins that we buy, we buy at least two, and often three or more. The most we've bought of any coin is ten. We occasionally put an unactivated coin into a cache as a trade item, or an FTF for one of our own caches.

Odd shapes are great, if well done. Just ordered a few of the Vogtland (Germany) coins, which are shaped like that region. The Four Seasons ones are wonderful designs, in different shapes. And the monarch butterfly is amazing! Still, most coins are round, and there are some really clever designs in "plain, old round" B)

Haven't yet, but have thought about it. We'd do a personal, just to give to caching friends and to send out into the world. We would certainly trade it with those who might want it. Might sell some, but that wouldn't be the motivating factor.

Trackable, but non is OK, if the subject appeals. A non-trackable would be for us to keep.

So far, none {knock on wood}! :D Got one geocoin that I'm keeping an eye on; it might have vanished. I should state that I am not counting geocoins that are not trackable on GC. We have lost several Conejo Cachers coins, and Canadian and Texas coins, all of which are trackable on "private" sites. And we've allowed those who have asked us to keep a Canadian coin that they have found. That's a half-dozen or so.

I can't bring myself to drill a hole in any geocoin :) Instead, every coin goes in a plastic envelope of some sort, and a "tag", in four languages, is stuck inside with the coin, explaining that the coin is intended to travel. So far, it's working ;)

Whatever works best with the design. Some coins look great in copper, others in silver... While on this subject, it might be useful to say that there have been a few coins that we didn't buy because we thought that the metal (or colors) chosen weren't right for the subject/design. I think that offering a coin in two metals is good, as it gives people options. Three is probably even better; after that, the water starts getting muddy :) That was the neat thing about the Vogtland coin; the black nickel had yellow enamel, which *I* thought was garish, but which others must have liked. I bought the two "plain" metals, which I thought made the design much more appealing. To each his own, so you might as well offer at least a couple of options.

Most of the "goals" are just to travel. Our POW/MIA coins are intended to visit military establishments of all kinds; our Oklahoma First Finders coins are directed at Indian Nations; a few others have specific goals, but most do not.

Love it!!! :o And we don't make a real distinction between events and caches. To be honest, except at a geocoin vault, in general if we find a coin in a cache, it's coming with us ;)

17) Does a copy of a coin in a cache work for you? :D

Not really. We picked one up once, and moved it along, but it's pretty-much cold potatoes, as far as we are concerned. Nice to get the icon for the collection, but it's weak.

A good design: clear, simple (but not "simplistic"), with a tie of some sort to the hobby. Cleverness and humor is a big plus. It has to "sing" in some way, either by referencing something that we have an interest in (my wife loves wolves, so getting a couple of the Snowwolf coin was a given :)), or by having a design that appeals to one of us.

I sure hope that geocoins are here to stay, just as pin collecting is at the Olympics or Disneyland. There's no reason for it to die off, as long as those who put them out don't go nuts with them. One thing that would be good is for more local/regional education about what geocoins are and why they should not be kept, at least not without asking the owner. There will always be a few no-goods out there - every group has them :) - but if enough people are keeping their eyes open, and helping explain to new cachers what the rules are, etc. etc. etc., the number of "lost" coins and Bugs should decrease.

A) What is your favorite kind of coin to collect? (theme; shape; personal; caching related; group; etc.)

Don't really have a favorite type, although nature themes will get a second look a lot quicker than most others. Still, we bought coins in a lot of different themes, because the design appealed in some way.

B) What is your favorite coin in your current collection and why?

Ooooo, a toughie, this is! :P Tracking Time is a stunning coin; Meade's Ranch BM has a beautiful and very simple design; Nacaya's personal coin is a wonderful melding of geocaching and gliding, her two main hobbies; Feng Shui is beautiful; geoNut is clever and funny: it's hard to pick one favorite. Possibly the one I get the most pleasure out of is the Serenity Geocoin. It has what, for me, is the key to success as a geocacher: "...the serenity to accept the caches I cannot find, find the ones I can and the wisdom to know the difference." That eagle soaring is very nice, too. As I wrote in a log just a day or two ago, on a cache that I had to turn back on, this isn't pokemon; we don't have to get them all.

Where shall I begin? :D