Multi's

swizzle

I'm setting up a treasure hunt multi cache. It's a story line, puzzle cache. It's going to have 2 seperate paths. A short direct path to the main cache and the long way around which will take you the long way through every step of the hunt to get puzzle pieces to find a bonus cache. There is going to be a 10# coin cache for a ftf on the bonus and a pic of the coins that tells the following finders that the treasure has been found. I think its going to be an awesome cache. I want to know what you guys and girls have seen and liked most about multi's that you've done. Even if its only one stage that you thought was very well done in any multi. I'm not looking to give away secrets to any particular caches so please don't comprimize any caches by giving the name of the cache. I just want to set up a great cache instead of another so-so o.k. cache. I have 8 parts to create and most of the spots are already chosen, although I may change a few of the locations. Are there any multi's that you really liked that stick out in your mind and why? Swizzle

I don't do multi's too often as I find I like to know how far I have to drive/hike and most people don't publish that. So you might get more hits if you do publich that info. Also, 8 stages sounds like a lot. You're really going to only get dedicated multi seekers, I think.

On the other hand I could be all wet. If you think you'd enjoy setting it up with longer paths and 8 stages, go for it.

Fire Elemental was my favorite multi. All the stages were different, creative hides. It had things I'd never seen before for stages, including some I haven't seen since. It also included a bit of a local history lesson.

One of the more memorable stages was a film can. With a roll of film in it. The coordinates were written on the film, which you had to pull out to find, then roll back in, so it wasn't a give away to the next finder. Another had the coordinates written in "invisible ink" on paper that you had to heat with a lighter to expose (I was there in the rain trying to do this). Anohter stage the coords were inside a hollow tree and you needed a flashlight and a mirror to find them.

All the needed "tools" were provided in one stage of the cache. If you found the final, you were to just leave them there. If you didn't find the final, the cache owner simply asked that you return the tools to the stage you got them at for the next person. The hider would stop by periodically to clear tools from the final and return them to the stage you get them from. When I did the cache, there were plenty of tools in the stage where you got them. There was something else needed, I think, that I can't remember right now.

Oh, and if you follow the link to the cache, you'll see it's long archived, I'm not giving away secrets of an active cache. :(

The way it will be set up is for a wide variety of people. After the bonus treasure is gone most people will just decide to go directly to the main. To go directly to the main is 3 stages and all 3 stages should be only 1/4th to 1/2 mile round trip. To get the bonus and for braggin rights you have the choice to go the long way and do some hill climbing. The extra hiking should still keep the whole course within the 1 mile range. So for older people or people with little kids going directly to the main will be easy enough. If your young tough and bored go the high road to glory. Swizzle

I love multi's. My first FTF was a multi that took three days and about 25 miles to complete. I have been hooked ever since.

I think most cachers are aware there is a possibility of some distance and difficulty. It sounds as though you have compensated by providing a direct route as well. I have done a couple that had clues placed in various stages that would allow you to skip to the final and they are quite handy if you want a shorter journey and can figure out the clue.

Giving an accurate estimate of the mileage and difficulty are crucial and will help cachers in planning and provide them with a pleasant experience.

Sounds like a very nice one indeed, which you were placing it in Central Florida.

My favorite multi is a two stage one . . . quickly done.

Seriously, I have found that with the cost of petrol, I have enjoyed multis where there were the stages near to other caches . . . I am able to do the fun multi and still make it a reasonable in return of expenses vs cache finds.

I placed a stage of a multi in each park around town AND placed one or two single stage caches in each of the same parks . . . finders doing the multi were able to log a dozen finds (including the 8-stage muti). There were an assortment of types including ammo cacns & micros, depending on the park & hide sites.

Personally, I like it when the listing for a multi includes the number of stages, total distance, and whether it's hiking or driving or both. Then I can decide if I have time to do it that day.

I've found a 10-stage, 6-mile multi-cache around here. Not many people attempted it at first, but once the first few folks completed it and posted in their logs how much they enjoyed it the cache started getting more frequent hits. One team even did it at night!

Edited by Ferreter5

This seems to vary from region to region, too.

Here in Ottawa we have a number of dedicated geocachers, many of whom have 500, 1000, 1500+ finds under their belt. We have prolific puzzle cache hiders. We have nasty micros. And we have gruelling multis. Some are simple 1 or 2 stage multis, yes. But some are much longer -- one right in my neighborhood has 17 waypoints from which you collect information and then calculate the 18th, final, cache position.

This cache (Are Ewe Blue?) is quickly becoming legendary... it has 15 waypoints, apparently deviously hidden, and will take you on a long trek that lasts 3-8 hours (depending on the finder) -- some have gone as far as using tools such as kayaks and ATV's to help. (And all of it right here in the city... !!) And one well-known local cacher has even gone so far as... well.... I'll let you check out the pictures for yourself.

The logs for this one make interesting reading. In fact it reminds me of some recent threads discussing quality of logs. This cache is proof of the "longer logs means interesting cache" rule of thumb...

I intend to gather some friends and set aside a Saturday to get this one done.

Edited by GreyingJay

This multi is close to a 3 stage multi, a traditional, and a micro. I have big plans for this area and will be setting up almost 10 caches all withing 2 or 3 miles. I have plans for a micro, a traditional, another short multi, and a puzzle cache. All 4 of those will need to be completed to get the coordinates for a multi night cache. I may also have a multi stage that 1/2 will be done during the day and the other half at night. I'm not sure yet. It's going to be a virtual cache kingdom when I'm done. Swizzle

We love multis! The best (for us) are more stages, more miles of hiking, more views and a great story line always helps. Cary Mountain cache is still one of our favorites by Rich in Nepa (all his are great) and they have each taken us to whole new unexplored areas. One of the most challenging we've completed was only a two stage, but required changing to a different coord system in mid-cache. That and the twenty below (plus a hard wind) day really sent us for a loop :anicute: They also because of their difficulty tend to have better swag and are violated or muggled less often. I don't know if that's always the case, but it has been for each of the ones we've visited and placed. :unsure:

I have 2 distinctly different "Quality" (IMHO) multi-caches.

Dead Doll Ditch Which is a straight forward 5 WPT multi.

And

Pocket Park Pool Parlor Which can lead you rapidly astray. (Up to 11 WPT's if you seriously misstep)

As noted in the cache ratings and description you should have a good idea what you are getting into before you tackle these. (Both are 3.5 Diff and 3-3.5 terrain.)

Based on the history of both of the above caches and the known number of active cachers in the area. There are many who choose to not seek out more difficult caches and thats ok. It's what the rating system is all about.

Nellie does Green Lake Is legendary in the area and one of those "Right of Passage" caches in the are. (Hmm I think I just figured out what I'm doing for #500 Cool!!!)

I think you can put out pretty much what you want as long as it is appropriately rated and the cache description is specific enough that a reasonable person can make an informed decision as to whether they wish to tackle the cache or not.

Multis with a creative theme are cool, especially if some parts are cleverly hidden. The thing that bugs me about multis over four stages or so is that if one stage ends up missing, it ruins the entire hunt. And more stages mean more chances of at least one stage disappearing.

I think most cachers are aware there is a possibility of some distance and difficulty. It sounds as though you have compensated by providing a direct route as well. I have done a couple that had clues placed in various stages that would allow you to skip to the final and they are quite handy if you want a shorter journey and can figure out the clue.

Giving an accurate estimate of the mileage and difficulty are crucial and will help cachers in planning and provide them with a pleasant experience.

I concur 100%,Jimear1e. I suppose that's why we get along so well IRL! :laughing:

Yes, most multis here are for the hardcore hiking fools. My favorite cache of all time is Where The Green Fern Grows ,GCD459, and it was 17 odd miles in 2 attempts to get it. The reward though...wow. The bonus cache on that one was one of the neatest things that I have seen in a bit, and was quite possibly the most welcome sight the whole trip.

I find that folks attempting these types of caches tend to read previous logs in detail, and if you don't well....what can I say? An average of one person a month completes this one, and the count would be significantly lower if not for "geo-herding". It is a hiker's cache for sure, and not for the micro mush park and grab crowd.

Completing longer multis provides a sense of accomplishment to those that complete it, and it will probably become a local favorite if you take good care with the hides. It is especially critical, as noted earlier in the thread, that all stages are hidden well away from those (*&ing muggly eyeballs, so as to prevent disruption of the epic hunt that you have planned.

All of that said, good luck!

It's good to see all the interest into making great multi's. I just spent two days drilling and creating one stage of this cache. Its a poly resin froggy that I drilled a big hole in the base and inserted part of a thermos for the cache spot. I then added the top of a fingernail polish applicator that's painted to look like a light bulb and placed in a drill hole between his eyes. Kinda looks like Signal the frog's Uncle Sigmond. For another stage I have a painted squirt gun. It's a basic small town robbery storyline. Money is hidden, guy sends a letter to his wife, then gets caught, goes to jail and is never heard from again. I got the storyline done for the cache page. I'm having a bit of trouble with the first part "the letter to wifey" and a secret hidden decoder. There will be a puzzle to solve that will lead you to another puzzle that will tell you where the decoder is hidden or if your observant and check all parts of each stage then you won't need to solve the puzzle. Should I have a storyline for each stage or just give the hint and coordinates to the next stage? Swizzle

The stages should have a point - that is, show you something interesting, or get you on the correct trail. The "Where the Green Fern Grows" cache referenced above loops and returns you to about a mile (easy flat walk) from you car. Every stage is in a nifty spot and gets you onto the correct chunk of trail. That's the whole point of making it a multi. He could have just waypointed his final, but you wouldn't have the looping tour of the river basin.

I'm getting closer to finishing my multi. I have one of those plastic dollar bill mazes that you need to get the little ball bearing through it to pop it open. Then a cryptogram to a cryptogram that reveals the secret to breaking the code. I'm adding a mask as well. I have a little bit of the storyline with most of the parts. I expect to get some good feedback after I place it. I should after all the work I've put into this cache so far. 10lbs of coins, 4 silver coins, a gold ring and a FTF geocoin for the main and a FTF geocoin for the bonus. Both Geocoins are unactivated. It'll be fun. Swizzle

I'll definately give them a heads up on the potential milage. I will give them the worse case scenerio as to the longest distance that they may have to encounter if they miss any parts or hidden secrets. It looks like its going to be 1/4 mile for the direct route to almost 2 miles if you miss the secret hidding spot. Swizzle