What Factories Do Mints Use?

UOTrackers

I've heard a lot about factories being outside the US and one inside the US. I was wondering which factories supply which minters. I have a real reason for wanting to know, I don't intend to become a minter so no worries there. I had a number of issues with our coins and still plan to in the future make at least 1 more. I'd like to greatly reduce the stress of coin making and thought perhaps if I knew which factories supplied which minters I'd be able to make better choices. If you prefer to pm me that's fine too.

Thank you!

I've heard a lot about factories being outside the US and one inside the US. I was wondering which factories supply which minters. I have a real reason for wanting to know, I don't intend to become a minter so no worries there. I had a number of issues with our coins and still plan to in the future make at least 1 more. I'd like to greatly reduce the stress of coin making and thought perhaps if I knew which factories supplied which minters I'd be able to make better choices. If you prefer to pm me that's fine too.

Thank you!

PM sent

It is my understanding that the same mint can, and does produce coins of differing quality. There is a lot of information to provide to the mint in order to get the metal/finish/depth/etc that you want.

What a minute, I can't believe that. I have seen coins from two particular companies that have so many flaws it is ridiculous. For example, the 2005 Alabama coin was done poorly with drippings on the edge and numerous other flaws. I cannot believe that the manufacturer is the same one that made the GeoQuest coins or the Bailey coins.

It is my understanding that the same mint can, and does produce coins of differing quality. There is a lot of information to provide to the mint in order to get the metal/finish/depth/etc that you want.

What a minute, I can't believe that. I have seen coins from two particular companies that have so many flaws it is ridiculous. For example, the 2005 Alabama coin was done poorly with drippings on the edge and numerous other flaws. I cannot believe that the manufacturer is the same one that made the GeoQuest coins or the Bailey coins.

Believe it, we can print beautifully today, and tomorrow it looks like the dog got in the shop. It happens!!!

Much of the variation in quality may have something to do with with grading.

As an example, check out your local lumber section at Home depot. You can buy a 2x4 in various grades all from the same supplier. They vary from knotty, warped cheap grades to fine, finished expensive grades...but they're all 2x4's.

The only manufacturer that I checked out in China has the same structure. Higher grade coins have more QC and rejections and use higher quality materiels than lower graded coins.

The trick is to make sure your distributor orders the higher grade on your coins. You're going to pay more, but you get what you pay for.

Much of the variation in quality may have something to do with with grading.

As an example, check out your local lumber section at Home depot. You can buy a 2x4 in various grades all from the same supplier. They vary from knotty, warped cheap grades to fine, finished expensive grades...but they're all 2x4's.

The only manufacturer that I checked out in China has the same structure. Higher grade coins have more QC and rejections and use higher quality materiels than lower graded coins.

The trick is to make sure your distributor orders the higher grade on your coins. You're going to pay more, but you get what you pay for.

That is the best explanation I have heard yet! That really puts things in perspective for me. Thanks so much.

I still disagree and without getting into a bashing of coin companies, I will just make general statements. If you look at certain companies you see the difference. There are two companies that I would not order coins off of because 9 out of 10 times there are problems with the coins, there are numerous flaws or the production is horrible. I have never seen those problems with other coin companies.

I still disagree and without getting into a bashing of coin companies, I will just make general statements. If you look at certain companies you see the difference. There are two companies that I would not order coins off of because 9 out of 10 times there are problems with the coins, there are numerous flaws or the production is horrible. I have never seen those problems with other coin companies.

By "companies", are you referring to the actual minter or are you referring to the people who tell the minter what to do? If you are referring to the actual minter, how do you go about finding out which minter was used for a particular coin?

--Marky

Edited by Marky

By companies I mean the people who take the orders. At this point, there are two companies that I will not order coins from nor will I purchase coins from them. Because my experience has been that the quality of the work is poor. I would be surprised and I could be wrong that different coin companies use different minters and just receive poor workmanship a good percentage of the time.

By "companies", are you referring to the actual minter or are you referring to the people who tell the minter what to do? If you are referring to the actual minter, how do you go about finding out which minter was used for a particular coin?

--Marky

The main reason for this thread was to try to find out who the factories were. This is how I would categorize factory...

You have the minter, the person you are in contact with on a regular basis. The one you pay your money to, the one who helps you make the decisions and the one who's name you know.

The factory would be the one the minter talks to, the ones who actually make/mint the coin. The ones who do the hard labor for the coin.

I don't hold a minter responsible for the way a coin came out as long as they have done everything within their power to set it straight. In our instance for example I think our minter was GREAT, he did a fantastic job of trying to work things out for us. It was the factory, in my opinion, who screwed things up.

how do you go about finding out which minter was used for a particular coin?

I got some good answers via PM, and it's helped me in figuring out what to do in the future.

I think that a more appropriate method of referring to the two different parties is "the designer" also known as the graphic house and the "mint" is the mfgr where the coins are acutally pressed. A good comparison in the US is our currency: the US Treasury department is the designer and the US Treasury mint is the minter. Either way, the majority of all geocoins are made by one minter in China (they even have their own Geocoin). While there are others around, China has established themselves as one of the largest manufacturers of novelty coins in the world. All coins for the clubs in New Orleans that are stamped each year for Mardi Gras are made in China as well as beads and all kinds of other stuff. As for graphic houses for geocoins, I think that two of the tops are "Coins and Pins" and "Oakcoins". I personally don't know who they use as their minters but I am sure you may be able to contact them to answer your questions.

Edited by dblsixteenout