Unusual Cache.......can I Do It?

jackddavis

I've never hidden a cache before.....Just taken my grandchildren geocaching......

I decided to give away a small bicycle that my grandkids out grew and wondered about a geocache to do it. The idea is a one time geocache.....with a picture of the bike and coordinates to my home to claim. They would need to bring the picture with them to claim it. After the bike is claimed, I would archive the cache. No log would be included.

I think this would be a "Mystery" type cache, as the cache is not at the original coordinates.

The question is.....will it be posted...since it is a short term, one prize, cache? How can I find out?

Has anyone done something like this before?

Here is an excerpt from the guidelines for placing caches:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

It is taken from Here.

Doesn't look like that type of cache would be allowed, but there are always exceptions...

I've never hidden a cache before.....Just taken my grandchildren geocaching......

I decided to give away a small bicycle that my grandkids out grew and wondered about a geocache to do it. The idea is a one time geocache.....with a picture of the bike and coordinates to my home to claim. They would need to bring the picture with them to claim it. After the bike is claimed, I would archive the cache. No log would be included.

I think this would be a "Mystery" type cache, as the cache is not at the original coordinates.

The question is.....will it be posted...since it is a short term, one prize, cache? How can I find out?

In addition to what 4BOWS said, one of the requirements for a cache is that it has a log to sign.

I was just talking to a fellow cacher, and they suggested that you donate it as a prize at an Event cache.

If you want a physical cache, why not make a cache in a location that you would want to keep active for the benefit of other cachers? Just include the information on the cache page that the FTF needs to bring the picture in the cache to the coordinates that you put with the picture, or you could even make a FTF certificate stating the prize, then attach a note saying you have to go to certain coordinates to get the bike.

If you made the cache, you might discover why we enjoy making caches. If it doesn't turn out to be something you want to continue, you could always archive it after several months or the muggles plunder it, which ever comes first. As for myself, I try to place caches where they will stay active. I have 15 caches, plus 1 not reviewed yet. I've had to replace one that was muggled several times, and need to replace one now due to weather damage, but so far I have been able to keep any of my caches from being archived.

As noted this site won't publish the cache description if you place the cache.

What you can do though is make the cache permanent but the bike is a First to Find Prize or a one time offset to that permanent cache.

One time offsets published on a card within the cache are something that people have been known to do.

Edit: Looks like I did a ditto to what PastorDIC said.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Well....I'm glad I asked. I did read the guidelines. In reading them, I had the impression that they were just guidelines and not meant to be restrictive to new ideas or etched in stone. This would, I think, be a new type of cache......one that could be a real treasure hunt for a 5 year old and his father or grandfather and time well spent together. No need for a log if the first to find removes the container and it is posted as found and inactive.

Rather than a prize for people who have the discretionary income to buy electronic gadgets, I'd suggest seeing if you have a nearby chapter of Bikes For Tykes, or similar organization.

Sure, I could donate it to Goodwill, but not much fun there....for anyone. They would just sell it. I thought the fun was in the hunt for treasure, not the purchase.

More thought is needed here.

This would, I think, be a new type of cache......one that could be a real treasure hunt for a 5 year old and his father or grandfather and time well spent together.

It's a nice thought, but I don't imagine it would work out that way.

What would likely happen is that there would be a mad dash to the cache by all the usual FTF hounds. Not because they'd like to have the bicycle, but so they can say they were first. There would be no pleasant stroll through the woods by a gentleman and his grandson.

A while back, there was a guy who placed valuable coins in one-time caches. People were getting nasty with each other and with the environment trying to find the things. Not exactly what geocaching is about.

Jamie

What if......

I hide a permanant cache.....a normal old cache....and later go back, after the FTF types have had their fun, and add a note with coordinates to an unposted cache, which would contain the picture of the bike and coordinates to claim it?

Or.... could I just put it (the note) in someone's existing cache, posting it to the internet cache log? This thought doesn't thrill me. Not sure that would be kosher.

What would likely happen is that there would be a mad dash to the cache by all the usual FTF hounds. Not because they'd like to have the bicycle, but so they can say they were first. There would be no pleasant stroll through the woods by a gentleman and his grandson.

Unfortunately, this is probably true.....a few bad apples will spoil the barrel every time.

As said before, please consider giving the bike to a worthy charity, maybe in the name of your local caching organization. Probably, many of of us could afford one easily if we wanted it since we seem to be able to have quite a bit of disposable cash for the latest tech gadgets.

For what reason are you against this? You're the second one to suggest a charity, but no reason given except that you have money to buy one......The only "charity" that would take it, here, is Goodwill Industries and they would not give it to a worthy child, they would sell it. What's the problem with a "treasure hunt for a child"? I have five granchildren and I guarantee that they would be delighted in a hunt for a bicycle or the like.

I'm puzzled.

As said before, please consider giving the bike to a worthy charity, maybe in the name of your local caching organization. Probably, many of of us could afford one easily if we wanted it since we seem to be able to have quite a bit of disposable cash for the latest tech gadgets.

For what reason are you against this? You're the second one to suggest a charity, but no reason given except that you have money to buy one......The only "charity" that would take it, here, is Goodwill Industries and they would not give it to a worthy child, they would sell it. What's the problem with a "treasure hunt for a child"? I have five granchildren and I guarantee that they would be delighted in a hunt for a bicycle or the like.

I'm puzzled.

It sounds to me like you have your mind set to place the bike in a cache one way or another. I would have to agree with the others that a charity would be a great place for this bike to go. What about Eugene/Springfield area? Much larger than Elmira.

If you insist that the bike be given away through geocaching, than place the photo with the coordinates in a cache (it won't be able to be a new, one time cache), and hope for the best. But... don't be surprised if it is not claimed by a person for their grandchild. While your intentions are noble, I am afraid that you could be disappointed in the results.

I'm puzzled.

I think one of my main problems is this goes a bit contrary to the core tenants of geocaching as it has been practiced which is "take something and leave something (of equal or greater value)". Geocaching is really not a treasure or prize hunt, it is actually more akin to the practice of leaving "caches" of survival stores in the wilderness in which items were traded out depending on need and excess supply. Which is to say that according to the "rules" in order for a person to claim the bike he or she would need to trade out something of proportional value. You wouldn't really be "giving" the bike away by setting up a special cache to do so.

Are there any variations in the game?

YES! We strongly encourage it, actually. Geocaching is a game that constantly reinvents itself, and the rules are very flexible. If you have a new idea on how to place a cache, or a new game using GPS units, we'd love to hear about it.

What I'm getting from this forum is contrary to the very words quoted above in the Q&A section of the Geocaching.com website. I do however understand the need to give as well as receive and my idea is growing around what you folks are saying.

Let me run this up the pole....so to speak.

The bike is a Pokemon....How about a traditional "theme" cache (Pokemon) stocked with traditional log book and several Pokemon items. Among those items would be a small container with a note containing coordinates to a "surprise" multi-cache which would lead to the picture cache and coordinates to the Pokemon bicycle. They would be taking the small container from the original cache, so it would no longer be "active". To claim the bike, they would have to present that original container and note from the original cache as well as the picture from the second cache. This would be a variation of the multi cache except that the second and third caches would not be posted at the website. Should they not want the bike, I would place the container with the note back in the original cache for another to find.

I'm hoping to get more positive replies and help pulling this off rather than just "give it to charity". I know nobody likes change except a wet baby, but progress is made by thinking outside the box or sticking your neck out.

It's not like this 16" bike is a great find. It's value is probably under $20, although it's in great condition. It's just too big to stick in an ammo can or even a bucket.

You've gotten plenty of suggestions in this thread in addition to charity donation, which you're free to disregard of course. An FTF prize, a one-time unpublished bonus cache tacked onto another published cache, and a one-time cache publicized on your local group's forum are all viable alternatives.

Another idea I just had is to go to your area's next geocaching event. Hide the bike in the woods as a temporary event cache. Announce it at the picnic pavilion and hand out instruction sheets. But only give the coordinates to kids, or parents who have kids or grandkids who would benefit from the prize. This solves the problem of having "The Usual Suspects" chase after the FTF, regardless of need for the prize.

You will not see the bike listed as a one-time cache on Geocaching.com. The reviewers can barely keep up with reviewing the permanent caches.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I think it sounds like really great idea. I wonder what you would get as a trade as it has to be of greater value!

I like the idea of having it as part of another cache (the pokemon theme). Is ther somewhere local to you that you couold chain it up with a combination lock and leave the combination in the original cache with the bike's co-ordinates? Just an idea.

Good luck. I admire your positive spirit and hope it works out to have been worth the angst.

You've gotten plenty of suggestions in this thread in addition to charity donation

You're right, of course and I didn't mean to sound like it was all negative. I apologize if I sounded that way. It's just that I had most this worked out, but still had some questions, especially about it being posted on this site. I like to be different and inventive and the Q&A says this is encouraged, but all I got was discouragment and more of the same. Even though much of it was meant to be positive, because it was just telling me to do what others have done before or scrap the idea, it came across as negative. Many, if not most, of the replies discouraged me from trying something different.

I appreciate the feedback and have been altering my plans to make them "fit" the guidelines according to this feedback. All I'm asking for are suggestions to make this work and still fit the guidelines of this site.

It does sound like the "theme" cache with the variations I mentioned before will do the job. It's not just me that wants to do this, but also my grandson. It's his bike. He enjoys geocaching with me and if he wants to give his bike away in a geocache, I think I should help him do that.

I think it sounds like really great idea. I wonder what you would get as a trade as it has to be of greater value!

I like the idea of having it as part of another cache (the pokemon theme). Is ther somewhere local to you that you couold chain it up with a combination lock and leave the combination in the original cache with the bike's co-ordinates? Just an idea.

Good luck. I admire your positive spirit and hope it works out to have been worth the angst.

Thank you very much. That is what I was (and still am) hoping for. Ideas ( and yours is a good one) and suggestions to make it work and a rewarding experience for a youngster.