Getting Permisson To Place A Cache

I am wanting to place a cache into a public city of Tacoma park. I am wondering how I go about getting the permisson to place it there or if I need to. There use to be caches there before they were muggled so I am sure its ok to have them there. I just want to make sure I do my first one right.

Thanks for any help!

Xtracker

aka Sarah

You're smart to get permission. It keeps you one step ahead of the cache cops. You could see if there is a web page for parks & rec and if there is, get the email address of the Director. phoning is ok but sometimes you can't get past the "gatekeeper". Email or snail mail a nice note, preferably with links and pictures, and a SHORT description of geocaching. I never use the word Goecaching. I call it a "GPS hunt, which is a family hiking activity. We believe in cache in, trash out, which helps the trails. Caches have been in place at XXX and XXX and XXX location for more than xxx periiod of time, and have helped keep those areas clean." Good luck!

Edited by Kacky

Check your city directory, or call the City Hall.

There should be something along the lines of a "Parks and Recreation" department.

When you talk to the person there (hopefully the Director of Parks and Recreation), be prepared to give a brief explanation of what geocaching is. Ask if there are any rules that would prohibit geocaching. In other words, don't ask if it's allowed, ask if it's not allowed.

When I did this for the city in which I live, the director actually suggested which park would be the best for placing a regular cache.

Don't forget to get the name of the person you talked to. Make a note of the name, date and time. If someone asks you about it later you can tell them who gave you permission.

I don't recall reading anything in that thread stating that Tacoma does not require permission to place a cache.

And even if there was, that thread is three years old and the parks rules may have changed.

Do you have any information regarding Tacoma specifically, or are you just trying to derail this thread with your own agenda?

I live in Tacoma and have caches hidden here. No permisssion is required.

My adgenda is that if someone goes around asking for permission where there is no policy, they will be forced to make one. That is seldom a good thing. I have hit counters on both of my Tacoma caches, the parks dept has looked at the cache pages several times. The current policy is no policy, thus no permission is required. If anything, your pointless and snarky reply is a feeble attempt to derail the thread. I can and will help the OP, all you're doing is spewing venom. Take it elsewhere.

If I had to ask about drawing cute little skater dude avatars, you'd be the first person I talked to. However, If I needed information about caching in a particular location, such as Tacoma, I would ask someone from Tacoma. Someone like Criminal, for instance. He would probably know a lot more about the topic than, say, someone from Maine. If he told me permission was not required to hide a cache in the city he calls home, I'd tend to believe him.

if someone goes around asking for permission where there is no policy, they will be forced to make one

Very true. As I've stated before, our country's legal system is based upon the English Rule of Law. The basic tenant of this system is that an activity is legal unless there is a specific law prohibiting it. Something to consider is that caching is a legal hobby, as is frisbee tossing and birding. Would you ask for permission before taking a hike in a park that your tax dollars helped pay for? By coming to the land managers with your hat in your hand, asking for permission to do something that's already legal, you delegitimize (is that a word?) our favorite game. Eventually, every park system in the country will require written permission. Let's not speed up the process any more than is necessary.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I don't recall reading anything in that thread stating that Tacoma does not require permission to place a cache.

And even if there was, that thread is three years old and the parks rules may have changed.

Do you have any information regarding Tacoma specifically, or are you just trying to derail this thread with your own agenda?

My adgenda is that if someone goes around asking for permission where there is no policy, they will be forced to make one. That is seldom a good thing. I have hit counters on both of my Tacoma caches, the parks dept has looked at the cache pages several times. The current policy is no policy, thus no permission is required. If anything, your pointless and snarky reply is a feeble attempt to derail the thread. I can and will help the OP, all you're doing is spewing venom. Take it elsewhere.

And yet, rather than giving a straight-forward answer, explaining that you know for certain that no permission is required, you posted a link to a thread stating your position on asking permission.

Wouldn't it have been more on-topic with this thread if you had answered the question that was presented?

Not true. You don't know because you've never asked. Cache cops could step in at any time and get all caches removed.

True.

Read the whole thing. They know about my two caches, they've visited the cache pages several times, and have not made any attempt to contact me. That is permission.

I'm with Criminal on this one. If they haven't outlawed it, then why the heck should I go stick it in their face that I'm doing it and tempt them?

Do you suppose people ask permission to go barefoot in the park? Of course not. There isn't any rule against it, so you just do it.

My Air Force father's attitude was," If you don't ask, they can't say no." Seems that, if caches have been set in an area, and managers of that area know about the caches but have said nothing, that that could be construed as implied consent. If we force them to make policy, they're likely to say no because they probably have more pressing issues to deal with. But if we mind our manners, and even help them take care of their area (CITO), we ought to be able to pursue our activity with clear consciences. Just my two cents worth.

If I had to ask about drawing cute little skater dude avatars, you'd be the first person I talked to. However, If I needed information about caching in a particular location, such as Tacoma, I would ask someone from Tacoma. Someone like Criminal, for instance. He would probably know a lot more about the topic than, say, someone from Maine. If he told me permission was not required to hide a cache in the city he calls home, I'd tend to believe him.

if someone goes around asking for permission where there is no policy, they will be forced to make one

Very true. As I've stated before, our country's legal system is based upon the English Rule of Law. The basic tenant of this system is that an activity is legal unless there is a specific law prohibiting it. Something to consider is that caching is a legal hobby, as is frisbee tossing and birding. Would you ask for permission before taking a hike in a park that your tax dollars helped pay for? By coming to the land managers with your hat in your hand, asking for permission to do something that's already legal, you delegitimize (is that a word?) our favorite game. Eventually, every park system in the country will require written permission. Let's not speed up the process any more than is necessary.

I have a fundimental problem with the idea of begging my government for permission to do something that is legal and generally harmless. Where there are regulations, I will follow them. In lieu of any policy, I assume its fine.

Many land managers know about geocaching, find it to be a benign activity and let it go on, which means they are giving it their tacit approval. But if you approach them and demand their official sanction that changes things. They then have to put their neck on the line and many aren't willing to do so.

Edited by briansnat

They're TENETS, not tenants, and a couple other things:

I don't draw avatars. I use a resource. Plus, off topic.

Regulations are made by the first person in the door, that's why the lobbyists often win. If the first person in the door is a cache cop, the cache cop may get to dictate the policy.

As part of my work I know a few city administrators and I could picture some of them denying permission just because they're insulted they hadn't been asked. If you enjoy taking that chance, go for it.

Edited by Kacky

Not true. You don't know because you've never asked. Cache cops could step in at any time and get all caches removed.

True.

Read the whole thing. They know about my two caches, they've visited the cache pages several times, and have not made any attempt to contact me. That is permission.

Will you show us their log entries, for those of us who don't have a lot of time to go searching?

Edited by Kacky
They're TENETS, not tenants

Thank you for pointing out my spelling error. :anicute:

I don't draw avatars. I use a resource.

It's still kewl, whether you drew it or had someone else do it. I'd still come to you if I needed one like it so you could guide me to the person who did draw it.

Regulations are made by the first person in the door, that's why the lobbyists often win.

Statisticly unsupportable. Got proof?

From the Guidelines: "Will it be on private or public land? - If you place it on private land, please ask permission before putting it there! If you place the cache on public lands you need to contact the managing agency to find out about their rules. You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.

Will it cause unnecessary concern? - Please use common sense when choosing a location for your cache. Do not place your cache in any location where it might be confused with something more dangerous." :anicute::grin::)

It's a bad idea to place a cache on public property without permission. Someone will eventually be spotted going for the cache and it will be reported to the authorities as suspicious behavior. This will certainly bring out the cache cops. It could be the reason the previous caches were muggled. Caches occasionally are mistaken for bombs.

Regulations are made by the first person in the door, that's why the lobbyists often win.

Statisticly unsupportable. Got proof?

Businesses have more lobbyists than consumers. Do the laws favor consumers or business? Of course politics is beyond statistics anyway. But the answer doesn't need statistics to support it.

As for the OP.

Asking permission for public lands is like finding a needle in a haystack. A city is good at being a city. They are not so good at things outside their experience. Who's in charge of tuppeware hidden in a playground? They can tell you who can mow the lawn. They can telll you who will fix the sprinkler. They can tell you who to see to pay for a park for an event. But ask them who to ask to hide a box of junk and the maitenance guy will point at the event guy, the event guy will say ask the superintendent and the super will point at the maitenance guy and you will be standing there with a box of tupperware with no answer.

If the park has a policy it's because everone got together and already pointed all the finers then they all talked to each other and came up with a policy then they submitted that policy to the mayor who said "not me" and then the city council got involved. If the park did that without the city council's permission they are probably in violation of the city laws.

Meanwhile you still have a box of junk to hide. It's best to just hide it. If the city wanted a policy on geocahcing they already have one, if they didn't they probably just ignore them having figured out that they are a harmless activity brining people to the parks that were meant to be enjoyed by the people.

For many of the same reasons as Criminal and Briansnat - I believe it is best not to ask unless someone requires it.

Not always applicable but the frisbee rule is a good one. Unless there exists something else.

I agree. I have more than 60 caches residing happily in places where I have not asked permission, and there have been no problems. :anicute:

Your local reviewer is the one to ask. As a matter of principle, I agree with Criminal. That said, in urban parks, the cachers who made initial contacts and introduced caching to park management have often done the rest of us a huge favor.

As a reviewer, where I'm aware of specific geo-caching policies by specific land managers, I'll ask you to conform. Typically contact park management for permission, or pull a permit. Often cachers place caches, submit them, and hear from me, XYZ county has a geo-permit for that area - here's URL for their on-line permit, or here's their website for contact info. Then they end up altering the hide to conform to whatever the policy may be. Only ammo cans from some land managers, only transparent containers for another. Nothing suspended in vegetation. Or whatever. Easier for you to just email you reviewer (though you've got that specific information from this thread already) and ask first.

I forgot; Briansnat, you're right again! (is that an approved phrase, near enough?).

Edited by palmetto