Are You Missing A Plushy Blue Travel Bug?

Planet

has anybody ever thought about creating a Coin about this Thread?

it could show a blue Bear some Eggs and an Osprey watching over them...

:)

Discussed and denied, see post #339 of this thread.

This is about a travel bug, not a geocoin. You're in the wrong forums :ph34r:

Darn, the nearest larger cache appears to be missing. All the other close ones are multis or on an island that we'd have to time it with low tide, and I don't know how much time they would take, if we could do this in an evening. We might just have to do a ceremonial launch at Milford Point and I'll place it elsewhere or pass it off to 1Naturemom. 1Naturemom, I left you a message on your phone!

The Spirit Of Ozzie, The Osprey Love Doll TB is born!

Photos and stuff to be added to it later. And maybe I can make those links into links. (Never took a computer class in my life!)

1Naturemom, get ready!

He's now on my watch list. Hope he travels to Upstate NY some day! and....I sure hope they get that problem with the Osprey Cam fixed soon - I was really busy at work today and didn't notice it was down until after supper!

I just tried it for the heck of it and even though their main page says it's down, when I click on the link to the webcam, it works and has the current date and time on the camera shot.

Must have just got back online. I have a direct link in my favorites, which wasn't working as recently as yesterday around 6pm. I just tried it and got right in! Thanks for posting that it was working again!!

I've been watching them come and go all day and saving pics, trying to figure out who is who. Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking that the one on the left is Fred with the dark spot on the head.

I read somewhere that only the female will sit on the eggs, while the male hunts for food. Once the eggs hatch the pair takes turns in the nest. Soooo, I guess HE is the one not sitting on the eggs!! LOL But I am no expert on the subject.

I've been watching them come and go all day and saving pics, trying to figure out who is who. Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking that the one on the left is Fred with the dark spot on the head.

I read somewhere that only the female will sit on the eggs, while the male hunts for food. Once the eggs hatch the pair takes turns in the nest. Soooo, I guess HE is the one not sitting on the eggs!! LOL But I am no expert on the subject.

:):o:o I'm not an expert either - but check out this website with a video taken on 4/29/03 - calledl "more unusual behavior". It talks about the male taking his 'shift'. Watch the video - it's a riot - he even packs a lunch to eat while he's taking his turn!

http://puleston.osprey.bnl.org/OspreyFund/...ideoArchive.php

Regarding the male/female question:

I actually saw them in the midst of an, uh, intimate moment :o and I believe that the one with the thicker brown stripe behind the eyes and a speckled chest is Mom. Naturally I may be wrong, but I did pay attention to who had the upper bunk, so to speak.

710fec46-6f4c-4caf-95fd-df0238432831.jpg

They certainly do take turns egg-sitting, and Mom seems to be totally in control of the situation. A couple times I've seen her return to the nest while Dad is sitting, and she literally steps on his tail and sorta shoves him off the eggs. Guess that is her subtle signal to move outta the way!

I've also seen her beat him about the back and head with sticks she's brought home, but he seems to take it in stride. Only once did I see him 'fight back'. Smart guy :)

a4462132-87b8-4b00-a6a1-2eddcd2b05e0.jpg

Stick fight

I was watching on Saturday, when the nest came under attack from some unidentifiable hawk (presumably).

Dad was egg-sitting, Mom was on the post in the water. They both gave a great chase defending the nest.

Photo below is of Dad after he jumped off the eggs, and just before he began to give chase:

74cf5e8d-82b7-42f7-9ac1-4bfebfb42bfd.jpg

This is why you can't believe everything that you read on the internet!! LOL I check the nest cam quite often, but I can't tell the two apart, so I never know who is on the eggs. I think it was in that same article where I read that the gestation of osprey eggs is 32-33 days... and clearly that had to be incorrect. :o I will try to refrain from sharing any further knowledge I have on ospreys!! :)

Thanks for the pics, Mudbug. I believe you're right about who's who, especially the female with the speckled chest. Are you (or anyone) watching them 'live', as in a video? I don't seem to be able to do that. I have to keep reloading the page.

Thanks for the pics, Mudbug. I believe you're right about who's who, especially the female with the speckled chest. Are you (or anyone) watching them 'live', as in a video? I don't seem to be able to do that. I have to keep reloading the page.

I use Mozilla Firefox browser and in there I don't see the live video. The Ospreys is about the only thing I'll open MS Internet Explorer for just to watch them live. Once you watch them live it's hard to go back to refreshing.

It's no wonder Lucy might be cranky, we had such strong winds through this area last night, it took down trees everywhere, and it took me and hour and 35 minutes to make a 40 minute ride to our monthly event. I checked on her right after the storm and she was soaked to the bone. The winds must have been 80MPH! It took down some new construction at work.

For those of you watching SPOOLD, here's the scoop. I need to print up a card with a goal, so I need to hook up the new printer I bought last Jan or Feb. Then I need to go get it laminated and organize a formal launch party. And we may have to place a new cache to launch it from. I'm giving a geocaching speech in MA this weekend, so it won't launch this week. Hang in there!

Watching this morning (live on the West Coast) while at work and Dad was feeding Mom when she jumped up off the eggs and they both started looking at the eggs. Took a shot of them but cannot tell if it is little dude of a piece of fluff.

littledude.jpg

2littledude2.jpg

Well what do you think?

Fluff or Litttle Dude?

Edited by Love Bugs

For those of you watching SPOOLD, here's the scoop. I need to print up a card with a goal, so I need to hook up the new printer I bought last Jan or Feb. Then I need to go get it laminated and organize a formal launch party. And we may have to place a new cache to launch it from. I'm giving a geocaching speech in MA this weekend, so it won't launch this week. Hang in there!

I am also on the TB watch list. Too bad you are so far away from me or I would drag my poor geocaching widow over for the event.

Russ Fletcher (PastorDIC)

Battle Ground, WA

Well that is just too cool ;) . I watch as mom and dad watched him finish hatching. Must have shocked mom though the way she jumped up. One second she was sitting on the nest and then she was up and flapping her wings. Not often one gets to see something like that. I am just glad I remembered to take a picture of the occasion. Little Dude 1 hatched May 22 2007 2:29pm est.

Edited by Love Bugs

Agghh! I checked in several times this morning and noticed that mom was up-down, up-down, up-down on the nest and I knew something was in the works, but I never did get a glimpse of anything....

I'm so happy to start watching the babies :-) I looooooove me some birdies.

(I've also been watching peregrine falcons in the Netherlands, with two huge babies in that nest! They have infrared so you can see at night. Helps to have a cam-fix when I can't see the osprey nest)

Edited by MountainMudbug

I spotted two chicks when I was watching, and at one point it still looked like two unhatched eggs behind the chicks. It is REALLY hard to make out those tiny little babies, but their little heads were bobbing up and down when Mom was feeding them (sooo cute!)

891ca325-5e72-4726-bef2-e0c80b2c0282.jpg

Here is an edited shot. The left one is facing us with his beak open, and the right one is facing Mom with his spine towards us.

8aaa891f-ca08-47ea-88a1-620285d450a9.jpg

I also saw mom and dad bringing a couple more sticks to the nest, and they were dragging them across the babies, and I was gasping *be careful!!!*

edit:

evening meal, a little easier to see them now

3b03f525-d147-4d64-a9b3-8ea74e8e9f2a.jpg

Edited by MountainMudbug

I know nothing about birds... but if the others do hatch at this point, does anyone think the siblings may commit infanticide? The younger ones will be smaller and weaker and demanding food the older ones will want. Anyone know if this type of thing is common among birds?

newspaper article linky

OSPREY CAM LEADS TO RESCUE!! :anitongue:

OMG! BUBBLE WRAP AROUND ONE OF OUR BABIES! MILFORD FIREMEN CALLED IN TO SAVE LIL RICKY!'Osprey cam' leads to rescue

BILL McDONALD bmcdonald@ctpost.com

Article Last Updated: 06/16/2007 05:40:03 PM EDT

MILFORD — It wasn't exactly like rescuing a cat from a tree for the Milford Fire Department, but it was close.

Or call him one lucky baby osprey. This bird's particular problem was first picked up by a Connecticut Audubon Society "osprey cam" watcher in Maryland.

"We do cats in trees, swans on ice. We take care of animals," said battalion chief Brad Ross. The fire department's rescue unit provided a ladder long enough Saturday afternoon to rescue a month-old osprey entangled in bubble wrap in its platform nest near Milford Point. "We got a call about bubble wrap stuck on one of the babies," Ross said of the 1 p.m. report. "We called in a ladder truck to bring in an extra long ladder, and it did the job. I didn't know you could see this bird from all over the world." Ken Elkins, director of education at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point, said he got a call from a Maryland resident who saw the bird's problem on the Internet. A small television camera shows real time activity on the nest both through a television monitor at the center and on the Internet (www.ctaudubon.org/action/osprey.htm). "He said he tried e-mail in the inquiry but the mailbox was full," Elkins said. "We hear from people all the time who like to watch the nest on the Web." Ospreys are also called fish hawks and are slightly smaller than eagles. Like eagles, they were an endangered species in the 1950s and 1960s due to DDT spray causing fragile eggs to crack when females sat on them. But the birds have been making a comeback since DDT has been banned.

Two young birds on the osprey cam nest are being cared for by a mother and father osprey that circled nervously during the rescue operation but returned to them once it was over. "I ran back into our TV monitor and saw the problem," Elkins said. "The bird somehow got tangled in bubble wrap and kept falling every time he stepped on it. We weren't sure if he was being strangled but we had to do something." The center did not have a ladder long enough to reach the platform, so the fire department was called. The rescue operation consisted of two canoes from the center pulling a rubber Zodiac boat carrying the 20-foot ladder 100 yards out to the platform nest perched on a small island. Matt Hoyt, former CAS animal handler helping as a marsh canoe trip volunteer, climbed the ladder and cut off the offending wrap in several seconds, all covered the on the osprey cam TV monitor. "It was uneventful," said Hoyt, a science teacher at Wilton High School. "The bird was entangled and was exhausted by stepping on the wrap. It definitely looked relieved after I cut it." Frank Gallo, CAS coastal education director, said a dozen calls came into the center from Internet watchers, and he appreciated their concern. "We certainly thank the Milford Fire Department and the people who took the time to call," Gallo said.

newspaper article linky

OSPREY CAM LEADS TO RESCUE!! :o

Wow I missed the rescue but was watching poor lil Ricky trying to get out of his flight suit. I went to a barbecue Sat afternoon and when I got home first thing I did was check on him. I was relieved he was free but had no idea the rescue that took place. I snapped a couple of photos of what I caught.

b37d323a-92ef-4fad-9e5c-20ea285197f2.jpg

Mama fitting lil Ricky in his firstflight suit...the latest technology in first flight.

The flight suit did seem to introduce Lil Ricky to his wings.

eee6a3b2-bdfd-4195-b15b-d48ad2e8cb73.jpg

He's been flapping those wings like crazy ever since. Here he is this morning again.

e2715b69-f69c-48ee-b64d-3b90610dafe0.jpg

Holy cow! Leave town for a weekend and all heck breaks loose. Thanks for capturing the images, Ttepee!

First thing when I got to work, my boss' wife handed me the article about it!

I was driving around Lake Champlain this weekend and on the way back we passed a marsh that had an osprey nest on nearly every power pole running through it!

Edited by Planet

Just found this thread and I have to say how much I'm enjoying it! I have ospreys roosting in my neighborhood and they've come back for the 5th year straight. We've become bird watchers because of them :D We've always wished we had a webcam to be able to watch them, so we get to live vicariously through this.

FWIW, we live in the Seattle area and have nicknamed them "Hassle" and "Becky" after the Seahawks QB (we thought it was approporiate) we tend to name the young'un every year after the rookies :unsure:

:D:blink::D:P

NOT AGAIN!

From today's edition of The Connecticut Post newspaper Poor lil Ricky can't get away from litterbugs! :)

Litterbugs make it tough for ospreys

FRANK JULIANO fjuliano@ctpost.com

Article Last Updated: 07/16/2007 11:40:01 PM EDT

MILFORD — First it was bubble wrap. Now it's plastic bags and fishing line. The ospreys spending the summer here are having a hard time coping with trash left by the city's human inhabitants.

For the second time in a month, city firefighters were called to rescue an osprey that had gotten tangled in debris, said Patricia Watson, an osprey monitor appointed by the state Department of Environmental Protection.

"A chick that was almost ready to fly had left the nest and found that its legs were entangled in monofilament line," Watson said Monday. "For a brief awful moment, the bird was dangling upside down by one foot over Gulf Pond before the Fire Department cut it free."

The incident last Thursday was the third that the once-rare shore birds have run afoul of people fouling their habitat this summer. Watson said a few days before the chick had its fateful run-in with the fishing line, an adult osprey got its back feet caught in a plastic grocery bag on Gulf Pond.

"When he took off, it looked like he was parasailing, with this big balloon-like thing hanging off of him," said the DEP-trained wildlife monitor.

On Father's Day a bird watcher in Maryland saw on the Connecticut Coastal Audubon Center's "osprey cam" that one of the majestic birds in the salt marsh had gotten caught in bubble wrap.

Timothy Chaucer, director of the Milford Marine Institute, was teaching a bird identification class on Gulf Pond on Thursday and witnessed the latest rescue. "The Fire Department did a great job," he said. "It looked like a tricky operation because they had to put up a ladder in a boat, and prop it up against the side of the platform."

Watson and Carol Dunn, another DEP osprey monitor, credited Battalion Chief William Healey with saving the unlucky fledgling. Healey had to wait until the tide went out to get his boat under the Gulf Street Bridge, Watson said.

Healey was not available for comment Monday, but Lt. Michael McDaniel, the Fire Department spokesman, said the line appeared to be heavier than standard fishing line. "The boat has a wooden, flat bottom that made a platform for the ladder, but those birds have wingspans up to 5 feet," McDaniel observed.

The best way for the graceful birds and humans to coexist is for people to remember the adage to leave nothing behind in a wildlife area, Chaucer said. "Even the hooks left in fish, when they cut them loose, can end up hurting birds in the nest," he said.

The shore birds fish by diving feet first into the water and pulling out their prey in their talons. Mated pairs nest on a platform high above the water, and it takes 50 days for a hatchling to try out its wings, Watson said.

"This young one was traumatized, but it will get over it," she said of the latest rescued fledgling.

To see local opsreys up close, go to www.ctaudubon.org/action/osprey.htm.

Edited by 1NatureMom

I smell a CITO PADDLE EVENT. Who's with me? It won't help a lot, since all this garbage keeps floating downstream, but if we clean up the marshy area nearby, maybe we can help them get through the season. Who's in? I'll post in the CT cachers forums, too! And I'll start writing the page and find a good date. When we did the CITO in RI, I hauled a muck bucket behind my kayak in an inner tube, and that might work if we time the tides right. Looks like I have some research homework to do. I'd like to get the Audubon Society in on this one. Maybe we can use the parking lot as a staging area and maybe they will provide the dumpster. Or maybe the DEP would be of some help. Mopar, Geo Ho and I were JUST there on Sunday, and Little Ricky was soaring above the nest, and Mom was showing him what to do, but he never took that right turn to leave the area over the nest. It was so cool! I was like a proud Momma on shore "Go Ricky, Go!!! It was awesome to watch. I wish I had one of those bazooka sized telephoto lenses this other guy had, but I didn't even have my camera with me. :rolleyes: