Library Permission

OHMIKY

Has anyone here had experience getting permission for placing a cache in a library? What were your experiences? Who did you approach for permission (librarian, other staff, administration?)

I am considering a physical cache in the stacks and am not sure who to ask or what objections to be prepared for.

Thanks

(edited to remove stupid misspelling)

Edited by OHMIKY

You would want to start with the head librarian.

You might also want to ask your local reviewer if this kind of cache will be approved. I think I saw previously on these forums a discussion regarding this sort of issue where the cacher had hidden a box outside of the library and was upset that it was not approved because the searchers had to go into the library for clues.

I have one hidden in this manner. I started by working with the head of circulation, who worked me up the chain to the head librarian and helped with the negotiation. It was a great experience working with them and has turned out to be quite a popular cache.

The cache is The Legend of Monkeybrad, which is the name of the book as well as the cache. It is placed in the historical research room in a fake book about geocaching that cannot be checked out. The funny thing is I had to donate the cache to the library so they could actually run it through their system. It has its own dewey decimal number and can be looked up in the card catalog, plus it has the cool anti-theft chip that sets off the alarms if someone tries to take it from the library.

I have one hidden in this manner. I started by working with the head of circulation, who worked me up the chain to the head librarian and helped with the negotiation. It was a great experience working with them and has turned out to be quite a popular cache.

The cache is The Legend of Monkeybrad, which is the name of the book as well as the cache. It is placed in the historical research room in a fake book about geocaching that cannot be checked out. The funny thing is I had to donate the cache to the library so they could actually run it through their system. It has its own dewey decimal number and can be looked up in the card catalog, plus it has the cool anti-theft chip that sets off the alarms if someone tries to take it from the library.

To be approved it will almost certainly have to have a view of the sky such that a GPS signal can be had. Simply leading folks to the front door isn't enough. The guidlines state that a GPSr should be used to locate the cache.

To be approved it will almost certainly have to have a view of the sky such that a GPS signal can be had. Simply leading folks to the front door isn't enough. The guidlines state that a GPSr should be used to locate the cache.

They do???

GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.
Edited by sbell111

Looks like I have another cache that does not meet the exacting requirements of the forums.

It is a puzzle cache and you have to use your gpsr to get to the starting point of the compass course that leads you to the final location. This is an accepted way to hide a puzzle cache as far as I am aware of, but I may be hampered by my limited experience. On the other hand, this cache almost always receives very positive logs and I have been contacted by several people regarding their great experiences hunting it.

Here is the flat file I used to make the book jacket:

11eda4b0-59b0-4f13-a652-23b4553c8eb5.jpg

Edit to add: An apology for my sarcastic response. I nearly did not post to answer the OP because I figure most every post in the forums lately ends in controversy, even helpful ones. I have to admit that it pushed my buttons to have an immediate response that implied my cache was outside of the guidelines. I guess that is the shape of the forums today.

Edited by Monkeybrad

Looks like I have another cache that does not meet the exacting requirements of the forums.

It is a puzzle cache and you have to use your gpsr to get to the starting point of the compass course that leads you to the final location. This is an accepted way to hide a puzzle cache as far as I am aware of, but I may be hampered by my limited experience. On the other hand, this cache almost always receives very positive logs and I have been contacted by several people regarding their great experiences hunting it.

<SNIP>

Edit to add: An apology for my sarcastic response. I nearly did not post to answer the OP because I figure most every post in the forums lately ends in controversy, even helpful ones. I have to admit that it pushed my buttons to have an immediate response that implied my cache was outside of the guidelines. I guess that is the shape of the forums today.

Dude, your killing me. I might actually drive to Mboro one day. Nice book jacket, by the way.

Edited by sbell111

Cool, thanks all for input - yes, this will be a puzzle cache - and whether it will pass muster with the reviewers, we shall have to wait and see. Hopefully, since it is in the spirit of adventure - and perhaps bringing some new faces into the library and the card catalog, there will be sufficient perceived value.

Regards

(btw, MonkeyBrad - I agree - awesome artwork on the cover)

Edited by OHMIKY

<snip>

As the second to post - "immediate response?" - I would like to say that I in no way implied that anything the OP was asking was outside of the guidelines. I merely related that I had seen this question before and it had been a controversy so I suggested working with the local reviewer to ensure that it would be ok to have it inside of the building. I in no way implied that your cache was outside of any guidelines since I have no knowledge of what your cache even is.

I am sorry Martinell it was not your post that I was referring to. Your post passed on some very good info to the OP, and you are right, always check with your reviewer when you are working on something "outside of the box", it will save lots of time, expense and heartaches later.

My response was in reference to Starbrand's post and in retrospect I over-reacted. I apologize to all involved for my sarcastic resmarks and for derailing this thread.

I am sorry Martinell it was not your post that I was referring to. Your post passed on some very good info to the OP, and you are right, always check with your reviewer when you are working on something "outside of the box", it will save lots of time, expense and heartaches later.

My response was in reference to Starbrand's post and in retrospect I over-reacted. I apologize to all involved for my sarcastic resmarks and for derailing this thread.

Not a problem - now back to the OT

I placed one in a library called When Wind Was King. I placed it as a letterbox hybrid since I had a stamp and there are so few of this type in our area. I got permission from the head librarian and the entire staff knows of it. It is placed where they can watch it from the desk and enjoy watching the people look for it. It, like others mentioned, is catologued into the system. I had no problems getting it approved. In fact my local approver actually had someone else approve it since he wanted to experience it on his own without any inside info. Which reminds me how he hasn't found this or any of my other caches....Hmmmmm <_<

As a reviewer, I've worked with a lot of geocachers to get library caches published. One thing I've noticed is that librarians seem quite eager to help with getting a cache in their library. By nature, librarians tend to be inquisitive people who enjoy learning about new ideas. They are generally receptive to geocaching and think that it's cool. They also have a motivation to get more people to visit their library. So my advice would be to approach the head librarian and see what ideas you can come up with. Popular variations include a book behind the reference desk, a fake book somewhere in the stacks, or a regular container hidden behind some little-used books.

As noted, some GPS use should be demonstrated as part of the hunt. The more it sounds like a geocache instead of a letterbox, the easier time you'll have with getting your submission published. You can either start with a clue inside the library that leads to a cache outdoors at a set of coordinates, or reverse that and start off at some coordinates that eventually lead to a logbook inside the library, after some tasks and/or clue gathering.

Let's take Monkeybrad's excellent cache as an example. I've heard great things about it and it is high on my to-do list if I ever got back to Nashville. Reading the cache page, the posted coordinates have meaning -- you must go to the spot defined by those coordinates and then count paces and take bearings. That is different than just posting coordinates for the library's parking lot or front door and saying "go figure it out."

Edited by Keystone

I placed one in a library called When Wind Was King. I placed it as a letterbox hybrid since I had a stamp and there are so few of this type in our area. I got permission from the head librarian and the entire staff knows of it. It is placed where they can watch it from the desk and enjoy watching the people look for it. It, like others mentioned, is catologued into the system. I had no problems getting it approved. In fact my local approver actually had someone else approve it since he wanted to experience it on his own without any inside info. Which reminds me how he hasn't found this or any of my other caches....Hmmmmm <_<

Too freakin' busy putting out flames in the forums. I have found a grand total of one cache in Pittsburgh so far this month, and haven't even had time to log it. Grrrrr. Maybe your cache will be a good excuse to take my daughter to a library during her summer vacation. I am not sure how that idea will go over, however!

Thanks for another good example.

Thank you KA for you comment, I am honored. You are correct, the posted coordinates and the line about two helpers is important. The two helpers are a pair of bronze statues, by local artist Russ Faxon, of a grandfather reading to his grandaughter that are sitting on a bench outside. If you do not sit between them (this is not only permissible, but encouraged by the aritst) the following compass course will not lead you to the correct place. I worked with my local approver to find a way to incorporate gps and compass usage to make this cache accessible. The high and low road paths are either climbing steps (high road) or taking an elevator (low road) that lead you to the historical research room.

I have had great responses from this cache, and although it is not a typical geocache it is one of the hides I am most proud of.

I work in a library and have one regular cache placed within the library and the beginning of a multi placed in the building. Obviously I had an inside edge on placing this here, but it is very popular and people really like it.

The Waypoints are GCF5CE - Bibliocache and GCM7XN - Never on Sunday.

On the cache details page we list the hours it is available.

I guess in a way it is a type of puzzle, as you have to either ask the librarian for help or look it up in the card catalog.

If anybody is approaching a library about this, they are more than welcome to show them our two caches and also the librarian/director could even email me if they wanted to talk directly with another library that has succesfully done this.

Our libraries website is www.chelibrary.org and our email is cheslib@libcoop.net and my name is Lynn.

Hope this helps as I think libraries are a great place for a cache!

Public park, public library...no diff...go ahead and hide it.

<_< Even a public park has rules that have to be followed.

I've done a library cache and would consider placing one, some day when I get around to placing a cache.

As others have said, work with the library staff and I'm sure you can work something out.

Wow, I had not hoped for this kind of information in my wildest fantasies -

Great thanks to all of you. I will use the kindly offered contacts and put together an information packet including pdfs of some of the library caches to back up my spiel.

As to use of GPSr - I fully intend to use coordinates that will point to information that will eventually lead to the library - I had some ideas of making it a multi, but someone's mention of accessibility has me rethinking that.

Perhaps in a week (maybe two?) I will come back and post a waypoint.

Even a public park has rules that have to be followed.

No doubt, but just show me a library that has 'No Geocaching' posted at the entrance...

That's kind of strecthing it isn't it? I can honestly not think of any place where I have seen No Geocaching signs but there are plenty of places where I would never consider it a place where Geocaching would be accepted with a blanket rule. Hospitals don't have signs either but I highly doubt anyone would be encouraged to use a specimin jar as an "evil micro" hide and pass it by the reviewer as "It wasn't posted as No Geocaching".

Libraries have people who run them and such and deserve our respect to ask permission to play our game there. It is not only something asked of us but is required of us when we place a cache in these manners. It only takes a few minutes to build a nice repoire with these people, so I suggest doing it the right way which is asking first.

Thank you KA for you comment, I am honored. You are correct, the posted coordinates and the line about two helpers is important. ...
You are dedicating you life to helping me find this cache, aren't you? :anicute:

Heck, I will even meet you over there and walk you through it, if you like. I won't hold your hand though, I am just not that kind of monkey. If I am not available, just ask for Heather at the library, she is an old friend of mine and helped me get the cache placed. She enjoys watching people hunt for it and trying to be discreet. Unfortunately, she also enjoys telling all sorts of lies about my college exploits, so while she is friendly, rmember she cannot be trusted. Plus, she would probably hold your hand if you like, she is cool that way.

Heck, I will even meet you over there and walk you through it, if you like. I won't hold your hand though, I am just not that kind of monkey. If I am not available, just ask for Heather at the library, she is an old friend of mine and helped me get the cache placed. She enjoys watching people hunt for it and trying to be discreet. Unfortunately, she also enjoys telling all sorts of lies about my college exploits, so while she is friendly, rmember she cannot be trusted. Plus, she would probably hold your hand if you like, she is cool that way.
Hey! Pipe down about the hand holding. My wife might read this. :anicute:

Well, the legwork is done - the cache container is made and placed. The library staff was intrigued and very happy to comply with my suggestions - and part of that is due to a few email connections to other librarians that were offered by people who responded in this item - THANK YOU to those folks!

The cache is currently awaiting review. If you are interested, check out waypoint GCWKMA - but you may want to wait a day or two as there is no sign yet that it has been looked at.

Again, thanks all for your helpful input!

BTW - this is a puzzle cache - the fact that it is at the library is not evident until the the puzzles have been solved - so you have all been subjected to a spoiler. :unsure: (you still need to do the puzzles to find the cache, though). :wub: