Limited Availability Geocache

What do you think of a 'limited availability' geocache - for example one with a Fourth of July theme that you would only allow 'finds' on 7/4/20XX and finds any other day would have to be either notes or be deleted. I want to level the playing field for some of the local FTF hounds and do something unique. Would this concept be approved?

No. Caches are meant to be found. Why would you want to go through the effort of placing something that you don't want people to find except once a year? What about someone who would hide something there for everyone to find everyday? Should you be allowed to "hold" that spot for a once a year thing? I don't like it and don't think it would get approved anyhow.

We had a cache in my area which was hidden in an area which was only open one day a month. It was something like the first Sunday each month... someone posted an SBA but a reviewer responded that it was acceptable.

I think the key is the reason for the limited availability. If you're simply not "allowing" logs except for a certain day, that doesn't really fit the idea behind geocaching. However, if you place a cache which is inherently only available certain periods (caches which are accessible due to the tide comes to mind), that's part of the challenge of finding it.

In any case, once-a-year availability sounds awfully seldom. I think you'd have trouble getting that approved.

Jamie

Doubt that it would get approved and it is a bad idea. As the guidelines indiciate, caches should be available for a reasonable period of time. One day a year doesn't seem reasonable. To celebrate the Fourth of July why not make it a themed cache. Perhaps you could have a special bit a swag every year that could only be retrieved from the cache on that day every year.

JDandDD

I want to level the playing field for some of the local FTF hounds

I do not see how this would level the field, at least in my area when a cache is posred it is found within a few hours by several FTF hounds in the area. I remeber in on case we had ten people arrive within a few minutes of each other to try for a FTF.

Be a FTF hound myself I get kick out of cachers that say they do not have a fair chance at getting a FTF.

The key to getting a FTF is being willing to leave 24/7, 365 days a year, regardless of the weather. If someone does not want to do this, they just are not going to be able to get many FTFs. That is just the way it is.

You might want to think about the service a FTF hound provides to other cachers. I is the local FTF hounds that let others know when their is a problem with a new cache, like coordinates being off by a half mile. Or findng out that the cache has not even been placed because the cache owner was waiting for the cache to be approved before placing it.

Besides, your idea sound like a temporary cache which is not allowed in the guidlines.

What do you think of a 'limited availability' geocache - for example one with a Fourth of July theme that you would only allow 'finds' on 7/4/20XX and finds any other day would have to be either notes or be deleted. I want to level the playing field for some of the local FTF hounds and do something unique. Would this concept be approved?

Yea that would be ok, but only if you submit it for review on February 29th, 20XX. Any other time would result in being declined or ignored :lol: .

Sounds like bait for the Ignore List.