Paying Your Dues To The Community...

In looking through the profiles of a lot of cachers, I see a lot of people that have hundreds of cache finds but very few if sometimes any hides at all.

Is there a ratio of finds to hides that we should be using as a guideline as to when it is our turn to step back from searching long enough to place a couple of quality caches of our own? I think we need to all take the time to pay the game back the thrill of the hunt by contributing some decent hides of our own.

I have heard the 10:1 ratio thrown out but that might be excessive and I see very few people that abide by that. How do you know when it is time to hide something?

You know, some people just don't want to play that part of the game. If you were to force sombody to hide something it would more than likely be something that would not ever want to go find anyway.

If you know somebody and want to encourage them personally go for it, just expect to help them a lot.

10:1 is extremely excessive. I have 3 active caches and find that with my other life commitments, keeping up with them is about all I can handle.

1. Nobody should feel FORCED to hide a cache. Some people are finders, some are hiders, some are both. I think someone like BrianSnat gets as much or more enjoyment out of planning and hiding a good cache as he does finding someone else's good cache.

2. If people hide caches because of a sense of obligation or under a perceived compulsion or to fulfill a requirement, in my experience that cache is more likely to be a lousy cache.

3. There are people who travel (think retirees in an RV) for all or a big part of the year. They may not feel like they can maintain a cache.

4. People may find caches individually but hide them with a group account. Their profile shows zero hides but they may have a dozen.

5. Any ratio is silly. A 10:1 ratio might make sense at the 100 find level (hide ten caches). I have about 1700 finds but there is no way I can maintain 170 caches to my quality standards. I think 40 is my personal limit. That is a personal decision. Others have demonstrated an ability to maintain 150 caches impeccably. Still others have demonstrated that they cannot maintain ONE cache effectively.

Hiding caches is one great way to give back to the community. There are many other ways.

1. Nobody should feel FORCED to hide a cache. Some people are finders, some are hiders, some are both. I think someone like BrianSnat gets as much or more enjoyment out of planning and hiding a good cache as he does finding someone else's good cache.

2. If people hide caches because of a sense of obligation or under a perceived compulsion or to fulfill a requirement, in my experience that cache is more likely to be a lousy cache.

3. There are people who travel (think retirees in an RV) for all or a big part of the year. They may not feel like they can maintain a cache.

4. People may find caches individually but hide them with a group account. Their profile shows zero hides but they may have a dozen.

5. Any ratio is silly. A 10:1 ratio might make sense at the 100 find level (hide ten caches). I have about 1700 finds but there is no way I can maintain 170 caches to my quality standards. I think 40 is my personal limit. That is a personal decision. Others have demonstrated an ability to maintain 150 caches impeccably. Still others have demonstrated that they cannot maintain ONE cache effectively.

Hiding caches is one great way to give back to the community. There are many other ways.

Those are all excellent points. However, this one deserves to be quoted again:

Any ratio is silly. ... That is a personal decision. Others have demonstrated an ability to maintain 150 caches impeccably. Still others have demonstrated that they cannot maintain ONE cache effectively.

In looking through the profiles of a lot of cachers, I see a lot of people that have hundreds of cache finds but very few if sometimes any hides at all.

Is there a ratio of finds to hides that we should be using as a guideline as to when it is our turn to step back from searching long enough to place a couple of quality caches of our own? I think we need to all take the time to pay the game back the thrill of the hunt by contributing some decent hides of our own.

I have heard the 10:1 ratio thrown out but that might be excessive and I see very few people that abide by that. How do you know when it is time to hide something?

You've got a valid point here. Like so many other things in life and in caching, it's hard to put a hard ratio rule on anything. I think that just placing caches isn't enough. You should also try to help noobs in the area. Maybe they would hide some if they had somebody to help them with their first.

Also help organize groups and or events. And what about CITO. Of course the "perfect" cacher would do all of this in just the right ratio. However none of us are perfect, regardless of what YOU think of YOURSELF. So we should do what we can to give back at least as much as we have gotten from the activity.

However none of us are perfect, regardless of what YOU think of YOURSELF.

Yikes! Surely I don't think of myself as perfect... yet. :blink:

My point is just that everyone should take the time to give back to what we enjoy so much. I merely posed the question wondering if there is a certain guideline that folks use for themselves. Of course there are no hard and fast "rules" that anyone is obligated to. After all, everything we do is on a volunteer basis and this is a hobby, not a career.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Those are all excellent points. However, this one deserves to be quoted again:

Any ratio is silly. ... That is a personal decision. Others have demonstrated an ability to maintain 150 caches impeccably. Still others have demonstrated that they cannot maintain ONE cache effectively.

This is what I think should be stressed:

Another thought on this: There was one cacher I knew that had the 3 caches, and they were all lame. He had one find, and he disassembled a junction box and shorted out a bunch of street lights, before he looking down and seeing it hidden under the base of the pole. This cacher, in my humble opinion did more damage that good to the sport. If we "just" looked at the numbers, he was an uber-cacher.

My point is just that everyone should take the time to give back to what we enjoy so much. I merely posed the question wondering if there is a certain guideline that folks use for themselves. Of course there are no hard and fast "rules" that anyone is obligated to. After all, everything we do is on a volunteer basis and this is a hobby, not a career.

YOU in the grneric form ..... that wasn't a flame

Another thought on this: There was one cacher I knew that had the 3 caches, and they were all lame. He had one find, and he disassembled a junction box and shorted out a bunch of street lights, before he looking down and seeing it hidden under the base of the pole. This cacher, in my humble opinion did more damage that good to the sport. If we "just" looked at the numbers, he was an uber-cacher.

This would be a funny story if it weren't true. Heck it's still a funny story. :blink:

In the early days most cachers would hide a few caches, usually when you got to about a hundred caches or so it was kind of expected of you to have hidden a cache or 2. As the game has progressed and more cachers hide caches it hasn't been a problem if you do not hide caches.

Also some cachers would rather hide them then find them, others would rather find them then hide them,it all works out in the long run. :blink:

I think it's pretty funny this thread appears on the same page as the "Way Way Way Too Many Caches" thread.

Me, I have a grand total of two. I hate hiding. I like to think I pay my dues to the community by lending the sport a certain grace and charm heretofore...

...KKKKKK-ACK...

Sorry. Choked on my tongue there.

I'm also an opponent of find/hide ratios. I've recently caught some flack about not having many hides, and although I chose not to respond to this attack, I could have certainly made several arguments about my contributions to the geocaching community. This person apparently didn't take into account that my few hides are quite locally popular. Not to mention other ways I try to get involved. By some, too much emphasis is placed on numbers of hides.

One rule of thumb that I keep in mind, although I don't follow it religiously, is that I'd like to have as many logs on caches I place as logs that I write.

That is... if everyone tried to keep a 10-1 find to hide ratio, we'd be even more swamped with caches than we already are, since the vast majority of caches receive far more than 10 logs during their lives.

One of my caches has more than 100 logs. Seems to me that I could go log 100 finds on other caches and be square with the geocaching community.

Jamie

I'm also an opponent of find/hide ratios. I've recently caught some flack about not having many hides, and although I chose not to respond to this attack, I could have certainly made several arguments about my contributions to the geocaching community. This person apparently didn't take into account that my few hides are quite locally popular. Not to mention other ways I try to get involved. By some, too much emphasis is placed on numbers of hides.

One rule of thumb that I keep in mind, although I don't follow it religiously, is that I'd like to have as many logs on caches I place as logs that I write.

That is... if everyone tried to keep a 10-1 find to hide ratio, we'd be even more swamped with caches than we already are, since the vast majority of caches receive far more than 10 logs during their lives.

One of my caches has more than 100 logs. Seems to me that I could go log 100 finds on other caches and be square with the geocaching community.

Jamie

I agree with what you're saying here. But let's ALL not forget that hiding and finding might be the 2 largest "nieghborhoods" in the community, they're not the olny "nieghborhoods".

Hilarious story! Thanks for sharing it! :blink:

We have several geo-friends who have very high find counts (i.e., well over one thousand apiece) and yet they do not have one hide. However, they tend to often perform volunteer cache maintenance for others when they are out in the field, and they contribute to the community in other ways, such as in helping to organize events.

Back in the old days...

cd241fab-2200-43af-8861-e630eaeb9ac3.jpg

There really were an awful lot of threads where people bemoaned the fact that there weren't enough caches out there - and that those that were just seeking were parasites to the community. With threads like this and this - I don't think that's a problem any more.

People should place caches because they want to, and because (IMNSHO) they have a good location.

Edited by Markwell

Some folks play the game just to find em. Let them enjoy THEIR game.

Some love to hide them. Let them enjoy THEIR game.

Any new RULE would just split us up more. Look at all the threads with people p*ssing and moaning about how others play the game. A majority of the time it has no effect on those who complain, they just like to complain. Be it number of smileys or how you log a coin or placing of lame micros.

They are the ones missing out IMO. I get to experience my hides 30-40-50 times, everytime I get a "Found" notification. Those poor souls only get to experience it once, for 2 minutes while they sign the cache.

It really comes down to YOU and how you want play it. Let everyone else be.

Edited by Team Kryptos

Giving back is one thing, you imply that placing caches is the way to do that. Not everyone wants to or should be placing caches.

I don't ask much from the people who find my caches. Trade even, trade up or don't trade at all is the most I've suggested, but I personally don't care if a cache has any trade itmes at all.

I think a better topic would be, If you want to give back, what are some ideas?

I'd say attending or sponsoring a CITO event.

How do you know when it is time to hide something?

You know it is time to hide something when you get the urge to do it. Otherwise, if under any other obligation, the cache placed not from the "heart" risks being mediocre at best.

So, if the urge hits, you get a great idea, and find a neat spot, then place it, for it is the "time." If the urge does not hit you, then do not place a cache.

not only does that offend me, but it also make me feel bad. I have been cacheing for 5 years now, and I just hid my first cache this week. dont get me wrong, i carred a ready to go ammo box in my car for over 2 years and never found a place to put it. I live in ontario and am surrounded by caches. there are caches within .5km from my house, cottage, and work.

Everytime I ever found a place to hide a cache, thre was already one around there. sure i like going to cahces that have others close by. but i'd rather have to work harder and spend more time looking for each cache I find.

If i really wanted to there are 100's of little parks by my house that I could hide on, but that would just be another quick 1/1. whats the point? so someone who is one there way home from finding another cache can just park and find it?

I fell I contribute alot to the game. I have put out a few coins and TB's and always do my part to help other cachers, and I am a paying member of this site.

The cache I hid was in park across from my local bar. the only reason I put it there was so I could sit on the patio and watch all the FTF hunters. The cache only took most people under 5 in to find. so what was the point other then the enjoyment I got from watching them? I'm sure a ton of people trying to get some numbers will stop by and find it, as I'm sure i'll do to other caches too. but no one is ever going to post a good story about the hunt, and its never going to be more then just a 5 min stop for people on there way home.

I think a better topic would be, If you want to give back, what are some ideas?

I'd say attending or sponsoring a CITO event.

Being helpful in the forums (and probably not quite as snarky as I can get.) :blink:

I do that over in the TB forum. One of my happy places.

edited to clarify

Edited by BlueDeuce

As far as I know, there is no guideline, either official or un-official.

Using myself as an example, I currently have about 750 finds, and only one active hide (a virtual). Not a very good record if you are using a number-oriented standard.

However, if you check my profile you'll see that I'm a volunteer for the Cleveland Metroparks, mainly in their geocaching program. There have been weekends that I've spent more time doing geocaching volunteer work with the CMP than I spent finding caches that I can get smilies for. (And loving every minute of it. :blink: )

Placing caches is its own reward. Trying to shame people into placing caches is exactly the wrong way to go about generating quality caches. Heck, I'd like to shame some cachers into not placing caches until they've figured out just what constitutes a quality cache.

I'd like to see you prove that assertion.

Finding caches gives every bit as much to the activity as placing caches. Participation is...the whole shebang!

What???? I think you misunderstood!?!

A text, out of context, as a mistext!

:ph34r::P:blink::P:P:P

We asked almost the same question a little while ago and found very similar responses. After having put a few out all at once, we quickly found out that maintenance is a big part of owning a cache, too. We probably spend as much time on maintenance as we do searching new caches. Now we're slowly adding to the arsenal to see how many we can maintain. It is every bit as much a reward as finding though and as it was pointed out above, quality caches are the ones with quality logs and usually have the best stories down the road. :blink:

There are a lot of good and valid points here. Lets change over to...

How do you give back to the caching community? Seems there are more ways than I imagined! :blink:

Hiding quality caches

Hosting events

Introducing others to geocaching

Releasing trackalbes, and help other peoples’ trackables meet their goals.

Working with the local State Parks and The Greenway to encourage caching.

Helping others make their first hide a quality hide.

Forming a group to support local cachers and encourage even more caching in the area

Working with local merchants to try to get them to see caching as a new sport for them to make money from, thereby make caching a visible and accessible sport in the area.

Working with other groups in the area so that we are part of an even large community of cachers.

And anything others ideas that I can pick from other cachers, like you folks, that I can do that will make my hobby better.

Edit: Repairing other's caches when needed.

Edited by Totem Clan

Finding caches gives every bit as much to the activity as placing caches. Participation is...the whole shebang!

:ph34r::P:blink::P:P:P

What's there to misunderstand? You stated "...none of us are perfect...", I'd like to see proof. If you define "perfect" as "something none of us are", then you may as well say "none of us are supernovae" for each has equal value, that is, none.

The only ones who don't give back are the ones who don't log in anyway online or off. They are parasites.

Edit: Yes I know about all the exceptions to this blanket statement. Your great grandmother who accompanies you but doesn't log becasue she doesn't get those newfangled compute is ok and so is that newborn in your pack, etc.

Edited by Renegade Knight

:blink::P:ph34r::P:P:P

What's there to misunderstand? You stated "...none of us are perfect...", I'd like to see proof. If you define "perfect" as "something none of us are", then you may as well say "none of us are supernovae" for each has equal value, that is, none.

Whatever......................

There are a lot of good and valid points here. Lets change over to...

How do you give back to the caching community? Seems there are more ways than I imagined! :blink:

Hiding quality caches

Hosting events

Introducing others to geocaching

Releasing trackalbes, and help other peoples’ trackables meet their goals.

Working with the local State Parks and The Greenway to encourage caching.

Helping others make their first hide a quality hide.

Forming a group to support local cachers and encourage even more caching in the area

Working with local merchants to try to get them to see caching as a new sport for them to make money from, thereby make caching a visible and accessible sport in the area.

Working with other groups in the area so that we are part of an even large community of cachers.

And anything others ideas that I can pick from other cachers, like you folks, that I can do that will make my hobby better.

Edit: Repairing other's caches when needed.

Great start on a list. I'll add:

Teaching GPS and Geocaching classes for school and outdoors groups.

Helping with media stories so that the sport is portrayed accurately and positively.

Serving as an officer or other leader of your local geocaching organization.

Helping to start a geocaching organization if one doesn't already exist to serve your needs.

Writing free geocaching software (GPSBabel, GPX Spinner, Watcher, FindStats, GeoCalc, etc.)

Volunteering for Geocaching.com.

As far as I know, there is no guideline, either official or un-official.

Using myself as an example, I currently have about 750 finds, and only one active hide (a virtual). Not a very good record if you are using a number-oriented standard.

However, if you check my profile you'll see that I'm a volunteer for the Cleveland Metroparks, mainly in their geocaching program. There have been weekends that I've spent more time doing geocaching volunteer work with the CMP than I spent finding caches that I can get smilies for. (And loving every minute of it. :blink: )

You know Richard, great minds think alike. I'm also a Cleveland Metroparks Geocaching volunteer. I donate my hides to the metroparks for their "official" caches. Richard does the same. So do at least a half dozen other cachers. Based on the logs, we do a pretty decent job.

We've also donated many hours to event caches that are not our own. We've made thousands of buttons over the years for the park. We've also provide the maintenance to park caches. And don't forget, we're the people who go out and check a location prior to a CMP permit being issued. The volunteers have provided many hundreds of man hours over the years to promote geocaching.

The Cleveland Metroparks is excellent about working with other land managers to help them develop cacher friendly policies. The volunteers have participated in programs with them to get caching approved in several formerly closed areas. All of the volunteers have very similar hide numbers. We all have very few or zero active hides. That said, if someone feels compelled to evaluate us on a "caches hidden" ratio, then we must suck. I can live with that.

The only ones who don't give back are the ones who don't log in anyway online or off. They are parasites.

Edit: Yes I know about all the exceptions to this blanket statement. Your great grandmother who accompanies you but doesn't log becasue she doesn't get those newfangled compute is ok and so is that newborn in your pack, etc.

Not only do parasites not give back, they destroy.

Unless you're a nit-picking chimp, then they are delicious

(No, I'm not calling you a chimp)

I really don't care if someone chooses not to hide. I consider myself more of a hider than a seeker. I take a lot of pride in my caches and trying to make the best hunts possible. And of course I look to put them in interesting spots. If they choose not to hide, I don't care. I like being creative and I like making challenging hides, I find that to be the part of this hobby I enjoy the most. Most of my caches, especially my multi and my puzzles have been pretty well recieved. When I get a nice long log on one of my caches, that's just as rewarding as finding a bunch for me.

Some people are hiders, some are not simple as that. As others have already said hiding is not the only way to give back to the community.

When you WANT to. This is yet another "rule" or "guideline" we don't need.

You know when you are inspired to hide something. No one should ever feel obligated to hide a cache. Period.

Ah. I wish more people would follow this thought!

I have 809 finds and 17 hides. Most of my hides, I hope, are inspired. Though not all. My caching partner has 565 finds and no hides. Okay, most of our hides are joint hides.

Could I come up with 80 good hides that I could maintain? No way! I do what I can do.

On the other hand, I've found far too many parking lot hides. One Home Depot looks like all the Home Depots.

You know when you are inspired to hide something. No one should ever feel obligated to hide a cache. Period.

Hey, something we agree on. :laughing:

I agree too. :laughing:

By finding caches and logging them you are paying your dues, and no more than this is required. I regard my cache hides as if they are goods in my shop, and those that find them are my valued customers, who pay me by writing a few lines about their visit.

HH

We have only a few find's and I know this isn't directed at people with our low numbers, but I'd like to reply...

I do have an ammo box sitting in my garage waiting to be hid, among other things ready to go. I personally want our hides to be really good, not in the sense of difficulty but in the sense that people enjoy them. I am not good with that, but I have been asking muggles for suggestions without telling them for what. Just implying for a "scavenger hunt".

I like getting a find in a place that my kids can enjoy, rather than a parking lot light pole (which we've had 2 of). So I'm going to try to be creative.