Monarch Butterfly

crake

Great designs everyone!

Congrats to UOTrackers for their good combination of Butterfly and [brain fart] Caterpillar! Icons will be uploaded soon.

monarch16.jpg

monarch32.jpg

PS - Texas packed. Yes, there is a benefit to being in the same state :D

Edited by crake

Great designs everyone!

Congrats to UOTrackers for their good combination of Butterfly and [brain fart] Caterpillar! Icons will be uploaded soon.

monarch16.jpg

monarch32.jpg

PS - Texas packed. Yes, there is a benefit to being in the same state :anicute:

Thanks for picking my Design, I'm honored to have been chosen for this. Now I really need to get out those Adobe books and learn more about design this is fun stuff!

You know because of this contest I have learned so much about Monarchs! I've even sent away for some milkweed seeds. I even went and got some books from the library to learn about the flowers to plant for a butterfly garden, my daughter will love it this time next year. I didn't realize that the Monarchs were in such danger, I guess you just don't think about that sort of thing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Can't wait to see the coins in person too.

You know because of this contest I have learned so much about Monarchs! I've even sent away for some milkweed seeds. I even went and got some books from the library to learn about the flowers to plant for a butterfly garden, my daughter will love it this time next year. I didn't realize that the Monarchs were in such danger, I guess you just don't think about that sort of thing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Can't wait to see the coins in person too.

We've had milkweed (Asclepias curassavica, mostly, but occasionally one or two others) in our gardens both in Ventura County and in Riverside County. We are on the migratory path of the monarchs, and have had anywhere from a few to hundreds of them in our yard. One or two years we've had lots of caterpillars, and a few cocoons. About an hour up the coast (in Goleta) is a large eucalyptus grove which is a major stop-over and mating area for the monarchs. There are several geocaches in this grove :lol: The main danger that Monarchs suffer from is loss of habitat in Mexico, where development has threatened to destroy much of the Winter nesting area.

One thing to be wary of with milkweed (Asclepias) is that they are prolific seed producers, such that you can easily get the plants all over your yard if you aren't careful. They have little hairs, much like dandelions, that allow the seeds to be wind-carried. Don't be afraid to trim the seed pods when the flowers have died back, but be advised that the sap is quite thick and a bit sticky. At least it washes off easily in soap and water :P

I got mine today and they're fabulous.

They're so great my kids were ooohing and aahing over them. My 2 year old wouldn't give one of them back... she even pulled it from the plastic. (Now it's somewhere in the backseat, crud)

But hey, they're great coins! :grin:

If you have more in stock, expect to have to send another invoice our way :grin:

Yup - got a good number of extras :grin:

For those wondering where the icon is - Groundspeak has the icons and will post this this week.

Oh, and all orders have been packed and international shipping happens tomorrow.