The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Huh, it sounds like you want a punchline. How about:

The Forester is a tree short and a bush is a short tree.

or

A forester lops his trees and a bush tops his knees.

I'm back after a small crisis so I am a little late - sorry

Good one, but not the connection I am looking for

Is it C.S. Forester, and was the Bush one of Hornblowers ships?

Veeeery close.....a little more research?

Well I've seen the film (Gregory Peck) and read the books (albeit a long time ago and they've sort of merged with the Patrick O'Briens), and seen the TV series (with that Welsh bloke who's name I won't even attempt to spell).

If it's not one of the ships, it must be one of the other characters, It doesn't sound like an Admiral and it's not Hornblowers Captain & mentor (played by Robert Lindsey in the TV series) so I'd go for a midshipman or a Lieutenant.

Is it C.S. Forester, and was the Bush one of Hornblowers ships?

Veeeery close.....a little more research?

Well I've seen the film (Gregory Peck) and read the books (albeit a long time ago and they've sort of merged with the Patrick O'Briens), and seen the TV series (with that Welsh bloke who's name I won't even attempt to spell).

If it's not one of the ships, it must be one of the other characters, It doesn't sound like an Admiral and it's not Hornblowers Captain & mentor (played by Robert Lindsey in the TV series) so I'd go for a midshipman or a Lieutenant.

Close enough

Lt Bush is a character in the Hornblower novels by CS Forester (most of the time he is Hornblower's First Lt)

Your turn!

8 feet

I notice the length of the nose is 4 feet 6 inches - wonder if it's true to say that most people's noses are about half the length of their index finger? No, that's not the next question! Just curious.

Assuming I'm right (never a wise thing to do, but never mind) the next question is:

What's the connection between the Old Testament and Giant Hogweed?

8 feet

I notice the length of the nose is 4 feet 6 inches - wonder if it's true to say that most people's noses are about half the length of their index finger? No, that's not the next question! Just curious.

Assuming I'm right (never a wise thing to do, but never mind) the next question is:

What's the connection between the Old Testament and Giant Hogweed?

You were indeed correct!

:mad: Ah, they don't make'em like that anymore! Well done, ask away...

Takes me back to when I was a student..

In cricket there are 10 ways to get a batsman out. What are the 5 ways that DON'T get credited to the bowler?

Me Me Me :laughing:

Hitting the ball twice; Timing out; Obstructing the field; Run out; Handled ball

:D

:mad: Ah, they don't make'em like that anymore! Well done, ask away...

Takes me back to when I was a student..

In cricket there are 10 ways to get a batsman out. What are the 5 ways that DON'T get credited to the bowler?

Me Me Me :laughing:

Hitting the ball twice; Timing out; Obstructing the field; Run out; Handled ball

:D

All correct.

Next question please

A Brazilian plane full of US Residents, with a Canadian pilot and a Dutch co-pilot takes off from Boston, Massachusetts heading towards Alaska. Unfortunately, it runs into engine trouble somewhere over New York, and begins to lose altitude. The pilot tries to control the descent, but the plane crashes exactly on the border between the US and Canada.

Where do they bury the survivors?

A Brazilian plane full of US Residents, with a Canadian pilot and a Dutch co-pilot takes off from Boston, Massachusetts heading towards Alaska. Unfortunately, it runs into engine trouble somewhere over New York, and begins to lose altitude. The pilot tries to control the descent, but the plane crashes exactly on the border between the US and Canada.

Where do they bury the survivors?

They don't bury the survivors they bury the dead!

01 811 8055

I asked my Mum, honest :D

Your mums turn then!

That's not right? Did they change the number at some point? As it should be 01 288 8055, as this link will testify!

Well it seems they used 01-288-8055 for the first series, then changed it to 01-811-8055 which is the one I remember. 01-811-8055 was also used for some of the subsequent Saturday morning shows.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2561459.stm if you're really interested.

To solve this one, I fear you will need to find my connection between Southern Spain and a foot lacking a digit. What is it?

OK so MrsB connection with Southern Spain is the Seville Orange, which of course is the traditionally ingredient of marmalade and first appears in green grocers around mid January (the 11th say). Dundee is the town famous for marmalade (Mary Queen of Scots have introduced it from France - though of course her version was that chewy quince (marmelo) paste stuff) and Muhammad Ali was trained by Angelo Dundee. Don't worry nearly there, now Muhammad Ali's last proper fight was against Larry Holmes in 1980 which he lost by a technical knock out in the 11th round when Angelo Dundee wouldn't let him get to his feet. Oh yes and in case that isn't enough Ali's very last fight was against and fought on the 11th December 1981, 11 years after his comeback fight.

What about it then MrsB, that must be it? :laughing:

Chae icon_jook.gif

:laughing: I was so impressed by Jango's connecting links that I was tempted to give him a "ding"...

but I restrained myself. :)

The solution is rare and ornithological raven.gif

Please feel free to Google: First past the winning post gets the dong!

MrsB :o

Hmm - there's the Costa del Azahar - the "orange blossom coast" if that gets us further forward... :D