The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

What was the first operating system sold by Microsoft?

Not a MS/PC user but guess the answer must be something like Windows NT as all the domestic versions of Windows come bundlesd with the hardware and the money is made by selling you half tested software which is over stuffed with code. That said Word 5.0 for Mac is still a great word processing package! :laughing:

Not a MS/PC user but guess the answer must be something like Windows NT as all the domestic versions of Windows come bundlesd with the hardware and the money is made by selling you half tested software which is over stuffed with code. That said Word 5.0 for Mac is still a great word processing package! :laughing:

I think you're confusing the way the software is sold and supported, ("OEM bundling", etc) with the product itself.

But in any case, "Windows NT" is wrong... as is anything with the word "Windows" in it.

I'm with Rutson on this one, just got to wait for sTeamTrean to get up today.

Rutson is right - Xenix - I was using it in 1981-2, not bad either. Course it was running on proper hardware (PDP-11). So "Ding!".

Rutson wasn't quite right about CP/M in that it was from "Digital Research", no relation to "Digital", which is usually taken to mean "Digital Equipment Corporation", aka DEC, makers of the aforementioned PDP-11.

And Jango is a cheeky pup, I've been out caching since 0700GMT!

Good enough for me, go on, how did you know?

I cheated...

Who said:

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

How many Mile castles are there along the Hadrians Wall?

Wrong.. you had forts, Mile castles and turrets :laughing:

Ok so the wall is 73 statute miles long but that equals 79.4 Roman miles. However the numbering system on the wall breaks it up into 80 miles with the Wallsend Fort being 0 and the Bowness 80, giving 81 "mile" structures, of course some of these are "forts" so Wallsend, Newcastle, Rudchester, Halton, Carrawburgh, Housesteads, Great Chesters, Caroran, Birdswald, Castlestead, Stanwix, Burgh and Bowness-on-Solway are full "forts" making 13 "forts" which would leave 68 "mile castles" - I think. :laughing:

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Ok so lets add in the stretch from Bowness-on-Solway to Maryport which is 26 Statute or 28 Roman miles, there were 3 full forts along this length at Bowness, Beckfoot and Maryport which leaves 26 milecastles. Of course there was no wall along this length (of either stone or turf) though there may have been a fence. So adding 26 to 68 gives a total of 94 milecastles. :laughing: