Nice Things: I Like Geocaching Because...

Following this comment by Us 4 and Jess in the 'These Forums' thread:

All that being said, I think there is much less angst expressed in the UK forum than some of the others. I would urge people to try and be a little less sensitive and not to take things too personally.

Total agreement on that point.

Don't be put off by the minority!

Jon

But obviously reading the thread through the minority are putting the newbies off sad.gif I think everyone should start a feel good thread and fill the front page with "nice" things laugh.gif

I like geocaching because:

i. It has taken me to places I would never have visited

ii. I have met great people whom otherwise I would never have known.

What about others?

I have been to some wonderful places

Caching gets me out of the house for some much needed exercise and fresh air

Caching is something we normally do as a full family, (wekdays are a blur of breakfast, school, homework, kids mates) so it's our bit of quality time to walk along and chat, we try to spend at least one day of the weekend all together.

M ;)

It's great getting to go to places I've never been to before. Some cache locations are fantastic and I would never of known about them if it hadn't been for caching. ;)

I like/need the excercise I get out of it ;)

It's extra validation for the money I've spent on my PDA, Camera and Memory Map etc (all purchased before I started caching) :D

I enjoy the anticipation and sense of adventure that you get, as you never know exactly what or who you might find. :D

I've also learnt some useful technical stuff such as software and hardware installation plus basic HTML programming :D (.....that sounds so sad ;) )

Edited by Nediam

Its just put together all the things we liked to to before but in one lump.

Excercise

Walking

The countryside

visiting new places

solving problems

treasure hunting

having more use for the Garmin than just a gadget to get us down from the mountains in bad weather :laughing:

surfing the internet (now for more caches rather than any thing else)

Mr F.B's love of any gadgets (PDA's for example)

meeting new people

more purpose for our walks

All of the above plus cycling about the place - much more fun travelling to visit a different cache location each time, nice long rides through new areas - when the weather is good!

We've cleared much of our local area so now take the bikes some distance out from home before setting out.

It also adds something special when we visit friends or family and take them to some overlooked or unknown delight in their own locality of which they were oblivious.

If anyone had told me a year ago last January that I would willingly walk miles - literally miles - to find a box ( or an earth cache with no box ) whose contents were of absolutely mimimal interest to anyone with sense...

If they told me that I would do this in downpours of rain at which I previously looked out the window and thought - pity the poor b*gger out in that...

If they told me that I would start buying my own boxes and placing them - filling them with more things of minimal interest to normal people ( see above )...

I would have laughed.

In this last 17 months I've walked further, seen more interesting things on my own doorstep that I never dreamed were there, and had fun thinking of places to set my own caches.

That's why I like caching.

civilised