City Navigator V 7

How many people out there have purchased this map product? is it any good? worth the money? why the BLEEP are these program/map packages so BLEEPing expensive?

Edit ADD: Do you think it actually helps you find caches? Is it worth the money?

Edited by JakeBond

The mapping software doesn't help you find caches, the GPS does that. It will help you arrive at a parking or trailhead location relatively quickly. It's very useful for urban caching as the software is programed with one-way streets, and if close to the side of the road, the GPS will tell you which side of the street the cache is at. It's also a very useful tool for non-caching activities, such as when you go on vacation, or go travel to any part of town you are not familiar with. It comes with a large points-of-interest catalog to find virtually any type of business, campground, or governent building. You get address and phone #s.

The going rate is $115. I think it's worth the money; you'll have to decide for yourself.

I can't really give any advice yet. I just purchased City Nav for my GPSMAP 60c. I'm going on vacation next week and can't really wait for v8 to come out. I'm hoping Garmin will allow me to upgrade for free since I purchased it so close to the release date of v8. I got it at Amazon.com for $109.00 and got a $30.00 discount for signing up for an Amazon credit card, since I saved $30.00 I upgraded the shipping to 2 days and the total came to $89.00. It's getting very difficult to find this software right now since the new version is "rumored" to be released soon.

Its no rumor!! :D

Just talked to a garmin rep today City Navigator V8 has been shipping for at least a couple days now. The gal I talked to was suprised I did not find it yet online or at a retailer. I just purchased a 76CSX and wanted to know if I had to pay for the upgrade if i purchased V7. So look hard for the next few days I will be :smile:

Wow, it would indeed appear that City Navigator v8 is coming soon. GPSCity.com has the new edition listed as "Due 31 May." Their Canadian Web site lists it as "Due 26 May." Looks like I should start saving my pennies. :)

--Larry

Its no rumor!! :)

Just talked to a garmin rep today City Navigator V8 has been shipping for at least a couple days now. The gal I talked to was suprised I did not find it yet online or at a retailer. I just purchased a 76CSX and wanted to know if I had to pay for the upgrade if i purchased V7. So look hard for the next few days I will be :smile:

Cool. Now..will it have smaller map segments.

I've been using City Navigator v.7 for about 2 weeks now. I love it. I have found that it picks some pretty funky routes though. I'm still messing with the settings. The prompts are pretty easy to follow and the maps were very accurate with even very new streets.

Mike

Hold the phone. Do not get City Navigator V7 unless you have one of the X models (expandible memory).

The large map segments won't work well with the older models with fixed memory. You may find yourself loading large map segments that you have no interest in 90 percent of just to get a small section and leaving other areas you want uncovered because you have no more memory.

That said City Navigator and City Select (your logical choice if you have the non expandible memory units) are worth every penny.

They are expensive because keeping track of changes in every road in the US (and the world) is an expensive project.

That and compiling and keeping up to data a database of over 5 million businesses and services.

Its no rumor!! :laughing:

Just talked to a garmin rep today City Navigator V8 has been shipping for at least a couple days now. The gal I talked to was suprised I did not find it yet online or at a retailer. I just purchased a 76CSX and wanted to know if I had to pay for the upgrade if i purchased V7. So look hard for the next few days I will be :laughing:

Cool. Now..will it have smaller map segments.

jus spoke to a garmin dude,,, he is unaware of the release date of V8,,, but he did mention that, yes they are decreasing the size of the map segments....

Edited by kengeroo

Hold the phone. Do not get City Navigator V7 unless you have one of the X models (expandible memory).

The large map segments won't work well with the older models with fixed memory. You may find yourself loading large map segments that you have no interest in 90 percent of just to get a small section and leaving other areas you want uncovered because you have no more memory.

City Select has been discontinued and is impossible to find, I'm leaving in 1 1/2 weeks for vacation and wanted a mapping prog to put on my 60c. rumor is that the map segments average 13.8mb or something like that with a few segments larger than 24mb. I hardly ever travel outside of Michigan so as long as all of Michigan fits into memory then I'll be fine. I'm going to call Garmin before I activate it to see if I qualify for a free upgrade to v8 (hopefully it has smaller map segments).

Brad

Its no rumor!! ;)

Just talked to a garmin rep today City Navigator V8 has been shipping for at least a couple days now. The gal I talked to was surprised I did not find it yet online or at a retailer. I just purchased a 76CSX and wanted to know if I had to pay for the upgrade if i purchased V7. So look hard for the next few days I will be ;)

UMMMM OK this sucks ;) as per my above apparently premature :D post i talked with a rep the other day that said V8 IS SHIPPING. well here is yet another version (pun totally intended) from yet another rep but from the cartography department (cartography@garmin.com or call 1-800-800-1020 for availability.) she said V8 is not shipping and no release date has been announced as of this morning for city navigator North America :D also with this they will not do a free upgrade according to her if I purchase V7 now and V8 comes out a month or two from now. so here i sit with a useless GPSr for road navigation until they FINALLY decide to send a little memo to make the announcement "OFFICAL" this is very UN- :D

also with this they will not do a free upgrade according to her if I purchase V7 now and V8 comes out a month or two from now.

I find this very hard to believe, Garmin have done this before on CN and CS. Also, GPScity seems to believe it will be available for purchase end of this month.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-city-na...-v8/cnusav8.htm

Edited by Maingray

Do the unlock codes that come with City Navitagor only cover my state, does it cover the Entire North America, or what does it cover?

Everything on the DVD - that's the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The name on the product says 'North America' but apparently Garmin doesn't think that includes Mexico.

City Select has been discontinued and is impossible to find

Somebody might want to let Garmin know this.

Garmin has discontinued this software as per two tech reps I have talked to. I would suspect one reason for the City Navigator upgrade is because of the discontinued status of City Select to streamline their software offerings and therefore reduce costs in several ways :laughing:

I notice on the GPSCITY.com add they mention V8 is on pre-order. they use the V7 description which mentions the larger map segments so your less likely to miss something. Yeah, right, if your CPS can load all the larger segments you need to take a trip. The descriptin for V8 under the first description does not mention smaller map segments, so that seems to be up in the air. :laughing:

I have a GPSMAP60c and going to California and I notice that my trip will cross the map segment line and not sure if I can load both segments. Guess I'll need to take my laptop and change maps on the go when I cross the magical segment line. :rolleyes:

also with this they will not do a free upgrade according to her if I purchase V7 now and V8 comes out a month or two from now.

I find this very hard to believe, Garmin have done this before on CN and CS. Also, GPScity seems to believe it will be available for purchase end of this month.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-city-na...-v8/cnusav8.htm

I guess Garmin are going to introduce City Navigator North America NT+ v8 like vi have in Europe.

NT (New technology) uses 50% less space on the GPS. Its 100% the same information in both maps.

You can not buy NT, its included in the Nüvi series, StreetMaps and Quest 2 GPS.

It also work in all new GPS like the "x" model and 276C with latest firmware.

Well, I can give you advice now since I've been using it on my 60c for a few days. Autorouting is great...how the heck did I get by without it...once you have it, you won't want to be without it. I moved to a new town just over two years ago and I'm still not real familiar with all the roads but it just doesn't matter anymore now that I got my 60c and City Nav.

No - larger segments!

See my post about "useless upgrade" - I'm NOT happy with Garmin now.

You're using the Europe one, I believe here we're talking about North America where v8 isn't even out and should have smaller segments.