Garmin Doesn't Have Too Much To Worry About From Magellan...

We recently had the regional sales rep. from Magellan come in and give us a "sales" clinic at our store. He then moved behind the counter for the day to "help" customers. All I can say is: Garmin sure doesn't have much to worry about from Magellan!

GPS sales reps should probably not be hired unless they have the word "Geocaching" on their resume.

We recently had the regional sales rep. from Magellan come in and give us a "sales" clinic at our store. He then moved behind the counter for the day to "help" customers. All I can say is: Garmin sure doesn't have much to worry about from Magellan!

What did he do that was stoopid?

What did he do that was stoopid?

haha. you said "stoopid". I'm also s-m-r-t smart.

I just asked some easy questions while he was there...

Things like "Which Magellan units use the SiRF chips?" "What Magellan units have a combined GPS receiver and FRS/GMRS radio?" or "Which high end mapping handheld units will let me use AA batteries instead of rechargables?" He didn't have many good answers.

We sold probably 10:1 Garmins over Magellans that day (of course we do every day...).

Things like "Which Magellan units use the SiRF chips?" "What Magellan units have a combined GPS receiver and FRS/GMRS radio?" or "Which high end mapping handheld units will let me use AA batteries instead of rechargables?" He didn't have many good answers.

We sold probably 10:1 Garmins over Magellans that day (of course we do every day...).

Of course asking loaded questions had nothing to do with his being able to answer them, right? From what I can tell of your posts here it is not suprising that you would sell more Garmins than Magellans- it's pretty easy to do if you are predisposed towards one brand rather than the other.

Well with Magellan only selling one brand of GPS'r at the moment..... you wonder why they are losing fast.

Another question that should have been asked... Which Explorist unit uses a Quad-Helix antenna... LOL!!!! For years, Magellan owners used to brag about their superior reception based on a Quad-Helix antenna and now Magellan only produces GPSr's with a Patch antenna... ROTFL!!!!

They really fouled up by making the 400,500,600 with those stupid batteries. They lost so many sales based on that one alone.

Magellan is a sinking ship in the GPSr market.

Of course asking loaded questions had nothing to do with his being able to answer them, right? From what I can tell of your posts here it is not suprising that you would sell more Garmins than Magellans- it's pretty easy to do if you are predisposed towards one brand rather than the other.

Whoa there...I am one person in a dept. of 6 people. I am part time, accounting for less than 3% of our depts. hours each week. You think my obvious biasness is affecting sales that much? That's flattering!

As a matter of record, we get asked about Garmins by a ratio of 10:1. Selling Garmins over Magellans takes no more effort than simply showing up to work...

By the way...The most common (by far, far) question I get is "Which is better...Garmin or Magellan?" My standard answer is: "If I was parachuting out of a crashing airplane in the middle of nowhere, I would be tickled pink to have either one with me!" I go one to explain that as far as hardware quality, they are sixes. But, when it comes to software, support and available accessories, then...It is a different story totally.

Edited by Alphawolf

Just because McDonald's sells more dinners than Ruth's Chris doesn't mean they are better dinners.

Well, I get your drift, but it isn't exactly the same comparing a $400 Garmin to a $400 Magellan and a $3.95 Big Mac Meal to a $49.99 Ruth Chris(I've never been there, so I'm guessing) steak now is it???

Most customers already know they want a Garmin, they just have to be helped in choosing the model.

Just because McDonald's sells more dinners than Ruth's Chris doesn't mean they are better dinners.

Well, I get your drift, but it isn't exactly the same comparing a $400 Garmin to a $400 Magellan and a $3.95 Big Mac Meal to a $49.99 Ruth Chris(I've never been there, so I'm guessing) steak now is it???

Most customers already know they want a Garmin, they just have to be helped in choosing the model.

Now if McDonald's upped their price to $49.99 for a #1 value meal, then you'd have a fair analogy for comparison! McDonald's would be to Magellan as Ruth's Chris would be to Garmin! -_-

Edited by Neo_Geo

Why do people get so hung up about the batteries in the 400,500,600? People have no problem having a rechargable battery in their cell phones, actually you would probably have a hard time selling a cell phone that used AA's.

I like the Li-on battery in my 400, and don't miss buying AA's. Or having to open up the battery compartment to swap batteries. I can power GPS from my laptop. Or get an adaptor that plugs into a 12v outlet.

It seems that people who bash the Li-on battery have never used it. Or people who bash Magellan have never used one.

Why do people get so hung up about the batteries in the 400,500,600? People have no problem having a rechargable battery in their cell phones, actually you would probably have a hard time selling a cell phone that used AA's.

In a cell phone, Rechargable AAA's would be very nice. So would standardized LiIon so you could buy them over the counter. The only saving Grace on those rechargable Magellan batteries is that cachers figured out you could use a Cell Phone battery as a replacment.

But as you said, some people don't mind them.

Now if McDonald's upped their price to $49.99 for a #1 value meal, then you'd have a fair analogy for comparison! McDonald's would be to Magellan as Ruth's Chris would be to Garmin! -_-

:P

I like the Li-on battery in my 400, and don't miss buying AA's. Or having to open up the battery compartment to swap batteries. I can power GPS from my laptop. Or get an adaptor that plugs into a 12v outlet.

It seems that people who bash the Li-on battery have never used it. Or people who bash Magellan have never used one.

Oh..I have used both plenty! I have no problem with a rechargeble battery in any "daily use" device. Any device where you are near a power source. In fact I like them a lot! I have well over 50 rehargeable AA batteries I use in my cameras, GPS etc. BUT, I have a huge problem with rechargeable batteries in ANY device that is to be used for anything more than a couple of hours away from a power sorce...Like backpacking. I use my GPS on backpacking trips, and if it can't share the same batteries as my headlight and camera, then it won't be going with me.

And...On the subject of "never using" a Magellan...I have owned them, and I currently teach GPS lessons to customers with both GArmins & Magellans. I can use them plenty well.

actually you would probably have a hard time selling a cell phone that used AA's.

In a cell phone, Rechargeable AAA's would be very nice. So would standardized LiIon so you could buy them over the counter.

RK I agree totally. I'm surprised that someone doesn't make an adapter to allow AA's to be used with cell phones. The market today seems to be towards super small phones. I'd rather have something a little more powerful (larger if necessary) that would work in the marginal reception areas.

Why do people get so hung up about the batteries in the 400,500,600?

Ask Magellan's marketing department who didn't do their research. They really fouled up on making those units that way. Even if you think it was better, it has driven so many people not to buy those units. Now if the battery lifespan of the 400,500,600 were like 100 hours on those batteries, it would have made sense. But it's not. And Magellan makes no mention on their website that you can use 3rd party batteries in the unit. It took people fooling with them here to discover that fact.

The ability for those units to use rechargable AA batteries with the option of regular AA batteries would have been so, so much better for sales.

Because a piece of electronic outdoor equipment that can conk out on you in the middle of nowhere with no chance of replacing the batteries is an issue for many of many of us.

My cell phone is rarely far from the charger in my car, home or office. If I'm out on a multi day backpacking or canoe trip, I shut it off to save batteries (though actually I'd rather have the option of using AAAs in my phone).

Having a GPS that I would similarly have to keep turned off while in the backcountry to save batteries would kind of make bringing it along pointless.

Your statement above is comparing apples to oranges. McDonalds is fast food and Ruth's Chris is a high end steak restaurant. On the other hand, both Garmin and Magellan are GPSr manufactures; therefore, an apples to apples comparison.

Magellan makes no mention on their website that you can use 3rd party batteries in the unit. It took people fooling with them here to discover that fact.

Why would they? That would be like Ford saying you don't have to use any of our parts, you can find aftermarket parts cheper than we are selling them to you for. Not a very good buisness move if you ask me. That's where these forums come in handy. People try things out and find ways around, but I wouldn't expect Magellan OR Garmin to tell us ways around what they are selling.

Alphawolf, I wasn't refering to you personally when I said making comments about a GPS that they have never used. I have never used a Garmin, so I can't comment on how they work, and I wouldn't.

And let me clarify that I don't think that the explorist battery is better than AA's, for what I do it works fine, but I can see your point about being away from a power source for an extented time. In that case AA's are an advantage.