To Pay Or Not To Pay, That Is The Question

...Or geocoins and their icons, commercial events, commercial caches (in the past - and in the future, who knows?) commercial TBs (Jeeps - for now) or other sources. All built (one doesn't want to say 'on the back of', but there it is) 'with the help' of people who hide caches. It would have been nice to see them thanked too. But I know when I'm being unrealistic :bad:

Very funny NickPick, "...what came from his own pocket" - Hehehehe!!

HH, I think you are reading it wrong. One can 'contribute' without 'paying for' quite easily. Perhaps 'Pay towards' would have been a better phrase.

I think MarkandLynn are quite right to warn against changing general caches into PM only ones. Anyone hunting for one who comes home and finds it unloggable would be quite rightly peeved.

Off Topic, Caterhams are called Caterhams as they're built in Caterham, south of London. The firm bought the right to build the 'Lotus 7' model (since renamed Caterham 7) from Lotus in the 70's. Lotus has (or had?) workshops in the midlands somewhere, where their cars are (or were? I know they're owned by 'Proton' these days) built.

I became a premium member after a month of geocaching as I felt it was something I was going to enjoy longterm and wanted to contribute.

I make use of the extra features as I have a PDA and prefer the paperless caching to papered, which is more environmentally freindly and fits with the aims of the sport.

I get annoyed from time to time with the server problems like everyone else but it does not stop me going out and caching - just logging them..... I just wait a few hours and try again. These guys do it for the good of everyone else so its not fair to complain openly. I work in IT and know the frustrations they go through, you only hear from the users when theres a problem not when its working OK - Big thankyou guys.

sorry slight rant...... :bad:

Its down to personal choice - some people dont want to pay because they cannot afford it or feel that they might not stay the course.

I think MarkandLynn are quite right to warn against changing general caches into PM only ones. Anyone hunting for one who comes home and finds it unloggable would be quite rightly peeved.

I think its possable to log a PM cache even if your not a PM member :o:bad: (Unless they have closed the loophole) But the owner could still delete your log if they checked your account.

There is not enough PM caches for it to be an incentive to pay up and hope there never is.

Edited by Deego

This happened to me when between me going for a cache and coming to log it it had changed to members only, but one of the kind regulars told me how to log a members only cache.

Nice to know that I can do Windywalkers current caches in the safe knowledge that I can log them :bad:

I too agree with this, it's ok to start it off as PM only then change it afterwards, but not the other way.

This happened to me when between me going for a cache and coming to log it it had changed to members only, but one of the kind regulars told me how to log a members only cache.

Nice to know that I can do Windywalkers current caches in the safe knowledge that I can log them :anibad:

I'm curious to how this is possible, can you PM me and tell me how it is done?

I too agree with this, it's ok to start it off as PM only then change it afterwards, but not the other way.

Nice to know that I can do Windywalkers current caches in the safe knowledge that I can log them :anibad:

I'm curious to how this is possible, can you PM me and tell me how it is done?

As an owner of a PM only cache, could somebody mail me too? Thanks!

Markwell for logging PM caches if your not a PM.

Interesting, but for them to get any of the ID info and the co-ords they would really have had to have gone out and found it with a premium member.

Yep thats correct thats what its designed for my daughter may want her own logging account but i certainly would not pay for two premium memberships she wou

There is a way to find PM caches for non PM but i obviously wont post it here.

Its down to personal choice - some people dont want to pay because they cannot afford it or feel that they might not stay the course.

I don't think I will stay the course. So I need not pay. :anibad::anibad:<_<:ph34r:

If a PM sets a PM cache, and there are no other PMs in the area, then the cache would not be found.

How frustrating for the PM that set the PM cache...

Serves them right... :anibad:

Sorry but have I missed something here or has the subscription fee just gone up to £500 a year? no,as it is at the moment I think it is outstanding value,having said that I do not care one way or the other whether individuals are premium members or not,I changed all my caches to PM only for personal reasons which I am not prepared to air here, and, before even seeing this thread,and my caches will remain PM caches along with any further caches I may place. incidentally I do not use any of the PM extra features,pocket queeries,extra high bandwith,GPX files,PDA etc. it's all a foreign language to me,I look at a cache description and if I like the look of it I write the co-ords down on a scrap of paper and off I go,any FTF's I get along the way are a bonus, I don't go out of my way for a FTF like I did in the early days,but every one plays this game,and to me it is only a game in there own way,I would not dream of knocking any cacher for the way they play it,or the way they are deemed to contribute to it,In my opinion the best contribution a cacher can give is not weather they pay up or not but to write a descent log,one that is entertaining to the rest of us, some of my mountain top caches can involve a 4 to 5 hour walk so when I read a one line log the finder has wrote I am disappointed,I mean something must have happened along the way,or something must have been seen.I hope I haven't strayed into the territory of the ranter here,that would be the last thing I intended.

edited for typo error.

Edited by fellsmanhiker

Sorry but have I missed something here or has the subscription fee just gone up to £500 a year? no,as it is at the moment I think it is outstanding value,having said that I do not care one way or the other weather individuals are premium members or not,I changed all my caches to PM only for personal reasons which I am not prepared to air here, and, before even seeing this thread,and my caches will remain PM caches along with any further caches I may place. incidentally I do not use any of the PM extra features,pocket queeries,extra high bandwith,GPX files,PDA etc. it's all a foreign language to me,I look at a cache description and if I like the look of it I write the co-ords down on a scrap of paper and off I go,any FTF's I get along the way are a bonus, I don't go out of my way for a FTF like I did in the early days,but every one plays this game,and to me it is only a game in there own way,I would not dream of knocking any cacher for the way they play it,or the way they are deemed to contribute to it,In my opinion the best contribution a cacher can give is not weather they pay up or not but to write a descent log,one that is entertaining to the rest of us, some of my mountain top caches can involve a 4 to 5 hour walk so when I read a one line log the finder has wrote I am disappointed,I mean something must have happened along the way,or something must have been seen.I hope I haven't strayed into the territory of the ranter here,that would be the last thing I intended.

HERE HERE well said :anibad:

With handbags flying in the wee small hours this morning centering on the question of premium membership fees, thought it may well be a good opportunity to air the question fully.

I do pay to be a premium member, but cannot say that I trouble its additional features. (frankly not worth it imho).

No, I look on it as a magazine subscription, (with two coming through my door @£120 per annum), 30$ is peanuts, and gets used far more than the paper type.

So how do others justify subscribing or not?

i justify subscribing as you so well put it ($30 is peanuts) for somthing that all my family enjoys doing we get alot of pleasure from spending time together as a family and feel $30 is very good value and if in turn my subscription helps the site then thats even better another :anibad: