Warranty Returns For 60csx - Usa Based Suppliers

Hello from Australia ! (this Post is directed to USA based Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx users).

I'm wanting to purchase a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. We can't get them in Australia yet (not until about the end of April I've been told). My guess is that our local price will be in excess of an equivalent US$700.00 (based on the price of other Garmin and Magellan Units available locally and a bit of sniffing around with local Stores who will be stocking the 60CSx). I wanna get one of these new 60CSx's asap and at a "fair" price so was wondering if anyone out there in the void could offer some comments on their experiences with the USA Supplier they purchased their Unit from with respect to : (1) has anyone had to return their 60CSx Unit yet for repairs or replacement ? ; and (2) - if so - what comments you may have regarding your service experience from that particular USA Supplier - just Australia is a LONG way from USA so I want to find a Supplier with a combination of a "fair" price and good after sales service (if need be). Can anyone assist with their comments / opinions ? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if R.E.I. ships to Australia, but they have an excellent return policy. Their prices are a bit higher than other online merchants, but if you are a member, you get a rebate. I got 10% back on my purchases last year.

They have an incredible return policy. A local cacher has purchased and exchanged for newer technology, several GPSr units over the past year.

R.E.I. will even exchange the software, if a newer version from the one your purchased, has been released.

I don't know if R.E.I. ships to Australia, but they have an excellent return policy. Their prices are a bit higher than other online merchants, but if you are a member, you get a rebate. I got 10% back on my purchases last year.

They have an incredible return policy. A local cacher has purchased and exchanged for newer technology, several GPSr units over the past year.

R.E.I. will even exchange the software, if a newer version from the one your purchased, has been released.

Thanks for your reply Miragee - I'm willing to pay a bit more for some "peace of mind" (will still be a much better option than purchasing here in Australia I believe). I'll check R.E.I out as an option.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Hi. I'm a fellow Aussie. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could check with Garmin if they will honour the warranty in Australia if you purchase it in the USA. Many manufacturers will.

Hi Comphelp. Thanks for your reply.

I actually have had some dialogue with Garmin on this matter but they have been a bit vague about it. I have ended up somehow talking to company that looks after Garmin product Warranty here for some of the Dealers.

They say on their Web-Site "CUSTOMER SUPPORT - This section provides support for GME and Garmin customers in Australia and New Zealand" however they also go on to say that support is available only to approved GME dealers.

I contracted them to clarify and they went on to tell me that that for warranty and support I would have to deal with the place of purchase.

Anyway - thanks for the suggestion - I'll see if I can get a hold of someone else at Garmin (as you suggested) who might give me a better pointer.

I contracted them to clarify and they went on to tell me that that for warranty and support I would have to deal with the place of purchase.

That's a problem for us Aussies because air frieght each way costs about $US45. Multiply this by 2 (there and back) and suddenly your warranty claim is starting to get expensive. Fortunately, Garmin products are very reliable :rolleyes:

That's a problem for us Aussies because air frieght each way costs about $US45. Multiply this by 2 (there and back) and suddenly your warranty claim is starting to get expensive. Fortunately, Garmin products are very reliable :rolleyes:

Exactly right - and if more than one return required well :P (I am inflicted with the "if it is going to happen it will happen to me" syndrome). Anyway as you say Garmin products seem to be quite reliable. Thanks again - I'll investigate further.

Another place to check is LLBean.com same guarantee as R.E.I etc. and they will ship overseas. :rolleyes:

I have already checked out R.E.I and their price is quite good (in conjunction with the recommendation of their after sales service as commented on by "Miragee"). I'll have a look at LLBean.com as well as the return policy and "beyond the call of duty service" with my circumstances (being in Australia) is actually as mentioned much more important than getting the best price - thanks a lot !!! :P

I have already checked out R.E.I and their price is quite good (in conjunction with the recommendation of their after sales service as commented on by "Miragee"). I'll have a look at LLBean.com as well as the return policy and "beyond the call of duty service" with my circumstances (being in Australia) is actually as mentioned much more important than getting the best price - thanks a lot !!! :D

Please let us know where you decide to buy in the end and your experience with the chosen supplier.

Don't forget to check with your customs and revenue agency to see how much (if any) tax/duty you might have to pay. :ph34r:

I can answer that one for you.

No duty or GST is payable on imports into Australia provided the total cost is under $A1,000. You will easily meet this requirement so its tax free :D

Don't forget to check with your customs and revenue agency to see how much (if any) tax/duty you might have to pay. :)

I can answer that one for you.

No duty or GST is payable on imports into Australia provided the total cost is under $A1,000. You will easily meet this requirement so its tax free :P

Thanks a lot for your input Comphelp / Simcoe - :ph34r:

I'll let you know which USA Supplier I buy it from and how it goes (hopefully I won't need to explain my experience in returning the Unit though - :D) Actually I'm new to all this and this will be my first GPS but I've been studying up on it over last few months. Gonna wait for a week (no longer as want one now) as Exchange rate here just dipped under 0.72 today (was 0.74 a week or so ago) and Credit Cards will load the rate even further so will be lucky to get 0.70 the way it's going at moment (eg. US$500.00 = A$714.28).

Gonna wait for a week (no longer as want one now) as Exchange rate here just dipped under 0.72 today (was 0.74 a week or so ago) and Credit Cards will load the rate even further so will be lucky to get 0.70 the way it's going at moment (eg. US$500.00 = A$714.28).

You could always see if any of these online retailers take paypal. I've found paypal's exchange rates to be quite fair (for CAN$ anyways). I know that paypal does deal in AUS$ too. So, with paypal your credit card gets charge in AUS$, yet the merchant receives payment in US$.

Also, check page pg. 101 of the 60csx manual for warranty info. I says that as long as you have proof of purchase and pay return freight you can send your broken unit to any Garmin warranty service station (after getting in contact with them and getting an "RMA" tracking number). So if there is a Garmin warranty service station in Australia, I can't see why you couldn't save shipping costs, and have it serviced in Australia.

Also, check page pg. 101 of the 60csx manual for warranty info. I says that as long as you have proof of purchase and pay return freight you can send your broken unit to any Garmin warranty service station...

Thanks for the pointer Simcoe - I'll put that to the Garmin rep. in USA that I've been coresponding with. Thanks also re. PAYPAL info. - I haven't dealt with that type of payment before however I suppose the Dealer will have to use some sort of Exchange Rate to get it to A$ as their price is in US$ (still would have to be better than the Credit Cards you would think - I'll ask the Dealer).

Thanks also re. PAYPAL info. - I haven't dealt with that type of payment before however I suppose the Dealer will have to use some sort of Exchange Rate to get it to A$ as their price is in US$ (still would have to be better than the Credit Cards you would think - I'll ask the Dealer).

Visa/MC will pay the merchant in US currency as they are a US merchant. Visa/MC will charge you in AUS$ but at a certain rate of exchange. You may want to check with your credit card company to see what their premium is for exchange rates, perhaps it's not that much different than paypal's (which is 2.5%). If you're unfamiliar with paypal you should read up about them at their (Australian) website.

If the merchant accepts paypal they will clearly state that option where they list the payment options. If it's not clearly listed, then the merchant probably wont take paypal.

Thanks also re. PAYPAL info. - I haven't dealt with that type of payment before however I suppose the Dealer will have to use some sort of Exchange Rate to get it to A$ as their price is in US$ (still would have to be better than the Credit Cards you would think - I'll ask the Dealer).

Visa/MC will pay the merchant in US currency as they are a US merchant. Visa/MC will charge you in AUS$ but at a certain rate of exchange. You may want to check with your credit card company to see what their premium is for exchange rates, perhaps it's not that much different than paypal's (which is 2.5%). If you're unfamiliar with paypal you should read up about them at their (Australian) website.

If the merchant accepts paypal they will clearly state that option where they list the payment options. If it's not clearly listed, then the merchant probably wont take paypal.

Paypal uses the credit card system, it just hides the buyer credit card info and add some security to the transaction. The seller pays the charge of paypal and the credit card (OK, he increases the cost accordingly). Regarding the exchange rate, credit card gives you a better rate than regular and no service charge.

Paypal uses the credit card system, it just hides the buyer credit card info and add some security to the transaction. The seller pays the charge of paypal and the credit card (OK, he increases the cost accordingly). Regarding the exchange rate, credit card gives you a better rate than regular and no service charge.

When buying stuff from the US using Paypal, I prefer to have it charged to my credit card in $US rather an $A as I find I get a better rate from my credit card company (Westpac) than I do from PayPal. From memory, Westpac charge a 1% conversion fee but this is better than the poor (in my experience) exchange rate offered by Paypal.

Thanks for all that - ;) I'll do the sums with the various options and work out the best way to pay for it at time of purchase (I was also looking at doing a T/T direct from my Buiness Account - I do a lot of those - you get the "good" Exchange Rate but there is always a flat $22.00 T/T fee with the bank I'm with (ANZ) - that's OK if the T/T amount is a lot higher than $500.00).

Also, check page pg. 101 of the 60csx manual for warranty info. I says that as long as you have proof of purchase and pay return freight you can send your broken unit to any Garmin warranty service station...

Here's the reply I received from Garmin this morning (their first E-mail said that I could get it done here in Australia) ...

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. I apologize. I started thinking about your situation after I wrote you back and decided to double check. If you purchase a North American model then you won’t be able to have it repaired under warrantly in Australia. You would have to send it back to the dealer you purchased it from and they would repair and send it back to you. Normally in Australia it is GME who does the warranty repairs. They could still repair your unit but they would most likely charge you. Sorry to mislead you before but I haven’t ever had this come up. Again, you would need to send it back to the company you bought it from for warranty repairs. You can find a list of GME stores using the link below. They might even know when the Pacific “x” series units will arrive in Australia.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for your interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Nathan

Dealers - http://www.garmin.com/dealers/

Here's the reply I received from Garmin this morning (their first E-mail said that I could get it done here in Australia) ...

Thanks for posting that. Its a shame they wont honour the warranty in Australia. Still, if its a minor fault, it might be cheaper to get it repaired locally than pay 2 x freight charges.

As I said before though, hopefully this will never matter.

Thanks for posting that. Its a shame they wont honour the warranty in Australia. Still, if its a minor fault, it might be cheaper to get it repaired locally than pay 2 x freight charges.

No problem - yes, hopefully no need for the Garmin Unit to be returned - :tired:

... by the way, GME in Australia have advised just recently that the new csx models will be here about mid May . They should be priced at : 60 - A$969.00 plus mapping & the 76 $1,069.00 plus mapping ..City navigator $349 or Metroguide $176 (so that's in line with my previous "educated" guess of US$700.00 for just the 60CSx in the Box).

... by the way, GME in Australia have advised just recently that the new csx models will be here about mid May . They should be priced at : 60 - A$969.00 plus mapping & the 76 $1,069.00 plus mapping ..City navigator $349 or Metroguide $176 (so that's in line with my previous "educated" guess of US$700.00 for just the 60CSx in the Box).

*CHOKES*

Where do they get off charging prices like that? $US200 more for what? I don't know if its Garmin's fault or theirs but those prices are a joke. No wonder I choose to import.

*CHOKES*

Where do they get off charging prices like that? $US200 more for what? I don't know if its Garmin's fault or theirs but those prices are a joke. No wonder I choose to import.

I've E-mailed Garmin again just now and put the facts and figures to them regarding how it is anticipated that we will be forced to pay an additional US$200.00 for the 60 CSx here in Australia just to get local Warranty cover (which should be provided by ANY Garmin Service Repair Centre anyway as per their documentation). I'll let you know the details of their reply.

I've E-mailed Garmin again just now and put the facts and figures to them regarding how it is anticipated that we will be forced to pay an additional US$200.00 for the 60 CSx here in Australia just to get local Warranty cover (which should be provided by ANY Garmin Service Repair Centre anyway as per their documentation). I'll let you know the details of their reply.

In fairness, we do get the Aussie base-map but its a widely know fact that these are of a very poor quality (roads out by 100m).

I'll be keen to hear Garmin's response :tired:

In fairness, we do get the Aussie base-map but its a widely know fact that these are of a very poor quality (roads out by 100m).

I'll be keen to hear Garmin's response :rolleyes:

With this warranty, they protect the local market. But the cost difference is a real shame !

We have the same in Europe, the 60CX is double the US cost. True, we have to pay heavy taxes but it is not just that. The importer are greedy.

For other kind of electronic stuff, usualy the cost is just 20% higher than in the US, for Garmin, we are speaking about 100% ! :blink:

We have the same in Europe, the 60CX is double the US cost. True, we have to pay heavy taxes but it is not just that. The importer are greedy.

For other kind of electronic stuff, usualy the cost is just 20% higher than in the US, for Garmin, we are speaking about 100% !

Suscrofa is right.

The "exclusive" importer for Garmin products in France has stated 739 EUR which means roughly 890 USD for the 60CSx.

This comes with a local two year warranty.

The local resellers apply the importer's price.

Needless to say there is abuse.

pyt22fr

Suscrofa is right.

The "exclusive" importer for Garmin products in France has stated 739 EUR which means roughly 890 USD for the 60CSx.

I guess were just lucky here in Canada, the online Canadian stores I've checked have the 60csx at $560 - $570 CAD (so about $479 - $488 USD). :huh:

Another reply from Garmin regarding their position on Warranty service for countries outside country of purchase : -

I’m getting a little out of my area here but I do agree, it does seem like it would make more sense if you could take your unit back to any Garmin dealer for repair. I wish I had more information for you but the people making those decisions are way above me. It sounds like they wrote the warranty wording back before internet sales were a big deal. They probably didn’t imagine that people in Australia would be purchasing from Canada (did you really find a USA supplier? I didn’t know of any suppliers in the USA that ship internationally, just Canada). I just don’t know enough about the ins and outs of how dealers are reimbursed and all of that. I will try to find more out and let you know if I get a good explanation.

As for the price difference, again, a little beyond my expertise. I know that Europe is the same way. I think Garmin does that to protect their dealers around the world and since there are so many different currencies and economies they just aren’t able to set a single price. Again, I can try to find out a little more on that and I will let you know what if I find something of interest.

I hope you still plan on sticking with the 60csx. I think you’ll find that it is a wonderful unit and I don’t think you’ll have any problems. I’ll let you know if I find anything out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for your interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Nathan

Has anyone heard of (or dealt with) "off Route" before ? - they will ship internationally (Australia in my case) and have the Garmin GPSMAP60CSx advertised on their site at US$399.99 at the moment - just following on from this thread I started - was hoping to get some feedback on their service with regard to returns (if necessary).

Thanks a lot !

Has anyone heard of (or dealt with) "off Route" before ? - they will ship internationally (Australia in my case) and have the Garmin GPSMAP60CSx advertised on their site at US$399.99 at the moment - just following on from this thread I started - was hoping to get some feedback on their service with regard to returns (if necessary).

Thanks a lot !

Ordered a 60CSx last Thursday from them (price was US$500 but with saving on shipping + free 512 card and screen shield) and just had my 60CSx delivered by Fedex to my address in Hong Kong yesterday. Not sure about returns but the do mention replacement of defective item is foc. Their follow up on e-mail and order is quite well in my case.

A guy in the local hiking forum ordered from them earlier but the item was out of stock for a few days and they sent the item to him by priority Fedex at no extra charge to make up the delay.

The only problem is they are 16 hours behind (19 perhaps in your case) and because of the time difference, it is difficult to catch them on the phone if needed.

Thanks a lot !

That's a nice find. It seems to meet all my criteria:

1) Authorised Dealer

2) Will ship to AU

3) Price under $US400

I'm tempted to take the plunge too.

Anyone else dealt with them?

That's a nice find. It seems to meet all my criteria:

1) Authorised Dealer

2) Will ship to AU

3) Price under $US400

I'm tempted to take the plunge too.

Anyone else dealt with them?

Hi Comphelp.

Actually it's the same deal with AdventureStation.com. This company actually advertises with Groundspeak (you can see the Groundspeak logo in their Banner) - that's where I found them - on this site !! I sort of feel like I might have a bit more confidence knowing that - particularly being here in Australia and with the "return" issue as per previous posts in this thread.

I've also asked them for a few price options with larger SD Card, Carry Case etc.

Actually it's the same deal with AdventureStation.com. This company actually advertises with Groundspeak (you can see the Groundspeak logo in their Banner) - that's where I found them - on this site !! I sort of feel like I might have a bit more confidence knowing that - particularly being here in Australia and with the "return" issue as per previous posts in this thread.

Supporting Groundspeak advertisers is certainly a good thing. :lol:

Its odd though as the sites are almost identical. Its like one site is an agent for the other (not sure which way it is though). The AdventureStation site doesn't display the Authorised Garmin logo in the top right corner so maybe its just an agent for OffRoute.

Supporting Groundspeak advertisers is certainly a good thing. :unsure:

Its odd though as the sites are almost identical. Its like one site is an agent for the other (not sure which way it is though). The AdventureStation site doesn't display the Authorised Garmin logo in the top right corner so maybe its just an agent for OffRoute.

I think The AdventureStation site is the main one - see here. Will have to confirm your query on the "Authorised Garmin Dealer" position though.

Pity about our Exchange rate too at the moment - just when you want to buy something in US$ the exchange rate hits a 4 year low !! - anyway only talking US$400 to $500 so not a "huge" difference.

If it is under the terms if the manufacturer's warranty, the story from these forums is that you box it up with an included statement of what is wrong and Garmin will have a new unit in the return mail within one week. Mind you that that is not MY story, just the prevailing story wrt Garmin's excellent customer service. :unsure::D:(

Edited by Team Cotati

I think The AdventureStation site is the main one - see here.

Yep, you are right. They probably have lots of agents too.

Will have to confirm your query on the "Authorised Garmin Dealer" position though.

I can't seem to see them on the Garmin Authorised dealer list. Perhaps we should email them and ask them to substantiate the claim?

Pity about our Exchange rate too at the moment - just when you want to buy something in US$ the exchange rate hits a 4 year low !! - anyway only talking US$400 to $500 so not a "huge" difference.

Yeah, the exchange rate is awful. Hopefully it wont translate into more than $30-40 extra though.

I can't seem to see them on the Garmin Authorised dealer list. Perhaps we should email them and ask them

Hi comphelp

Actually I already did - so hopefully will get a confirmation (or otherwise) overnight + hope to get their price too on the 60CSx with a few additional bits and pieces I asked about.

Actually I already did - so hopefully will get a confirmation (or otherwise) overnight + hope to get their price too on the 60CSx with a few additional bits and pieces I asked about.

Cool. Thanks. It will be good to see what they say. Its also a good opportunity to see what their customer service is like :unsure:

Cool. Thanks. It will be good to see what they say. Its also a good opportunity to see what their customer service is like :D

Got an answer overnight -

You can find all of our prices in US dollars on the website for each item. You will find that our prices are very competitive. When you add your items to the shopping cart, you will get to a page that will tell you how much your shipping options will cost.

We are an authorized Garmin dealer. You can contact Garmin to find out about the warranty being covered in Australia; try their website www.garmin.com. That is a great site to find out compatability issues, accessories available, etc. We do not offer extended warranties, as the warranty is covered by Garmin.

We do ship batteries without a problem.

We don't sell a microSD card reader.

Did I answer all of your questions?

I know how the Shopping Cart works - so no "special" deals from asking other than what's listed on their site - fair enough.

As you can see, they didn't direct me to a link or anything so I could confirm about them being an official Garmin Dealer (I could always check that out direct with Garmin if need be).

Anyway - their price listed for the 60CSx varies from day to day so I am just going to wait until our Exhange Rate improves a bit (went up a cent overnight :D ) and also for their price to hopefully go back under US$400.00.

We are an authorized Garmin dealer. You can contact Garmin to find out about the warranty being covered in Australia; try their website www.garmin.com.

As you can see, they didn't direct me to a link or anything so I could confirm about them being an official Garmin Dealer (I could always check that out direct with Garmin if need be).

That's really a bit of a non-answer. I'd be inclined to reply with something like "I've looked at the list of Garmin dealers on their website and can't see your business listed. Perhaps you are listed under another name or in a different state. Could you provide a link to where Garmin state that you are an authorised dealer?"

Still, at the same time, its unlikely that they would outright lie as that would put them in a nasty legal position.

Hi Night Parrot

I've taken the plunge and orderd from OffRoute.com.

I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it will be here just after Easter.

Hi Comphelp.

Thanks for the Post - hope it all goes well for you - I'm not far away from putting my Order in as well with them - Garmin came back and told me they were an Authorised Dealer - so no problems there. Thanks for the tip on the Charger as well - here's what they told me :

"

This link might help you with knowing if the charger would work for you:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/searchItem.asp. It looks like they have a

special one for Australia, which we don't carry.

Garmin's return and repair center is in Olathe, Kansas, USA.

Thank you,

Vauna Davis

Offroute.com

121 Woodland Avenue Suite 150

Reno, Nevada 89523

Vauna_service@offroute.com

"

Please do let me know how you go ! Good luck with it.

Well my early reaction is that they are a bit slow. Here is a reply I got asking when it would be shipped:

Your gps should get to us from the manufacturer early next week. We will immediately ship it to you, provided we have been able to verify your billing address. We have contacted our credit card verification company and should get a reply from them in a day or two.

I ordered it Monday afternoon US Time. I would have thought taking a week for a supplier that claims to be a distributor is pretty poor. The credit card verification seems a bit over the top too. When I ordered my last GPS (from gpscity.com) I just had to fax a copy of my card (back and front) and my driver's license.

Here's an update. Its now been a week and a half since I ordered my 60CSX from OffRoute.com and the unit still hasn't shipped! They claim they are having difficulty verifying my credit card (Westpac Visa [very large Australian Bank]). They've asked if I have another card. I do but they don't take Amex! They also suggested wire transfer and US Bank Cheque. That's not gonna happen coz the cost outweighs any price advantage that they have. If they can't sort out the credit card I might as well get it from GPS City as I've already completed card verification (much easier - just fax card and driver's license) there.

These guys are quite slow to respond to emails too. It always takes a day between emails. Given the time difference, I wake up at 2PM (their time). Normally they have just emailed me within the last hour or 2. I reply but never get an answer until the following day.

Have you done anything Night Parrot?

Just one thing I wanted to add...

If you order from the USA arent you going to get the WRONG basemap??

You dont want the NorthAmerica basemap do you?

Does ANYONE want to use any basemap? I always thought the basemap was there as a tease and for display purposes before the sale. Not something that anyone would use if they could possibly afford real maps. . .

Edited by YuccaPatrol

Tho I'm in the US I ended up getting mine from antonline.com through amazon and they where amazing from start to finish and only was 400.00 US.

If all else fails do you have a buddy in the US that could buy one and ship it to you? Id help out but it's always scary if you dont know the person.