Spring And Leaves

Having just started out I was just wondering how people cope with tree cover. Most of the caches we have done so far have been in woods which is not a problem at this time of year, but I can forsee problems later on in the year.

Some solutions I can think of include triangulation from clear sky places, using a magnetic compass or guess work!!

What is the best answer please?

Mike

Your three answers work well.

The other 2 that I would add is the "DNF option", followed later by the "next attempt option". I was going to say the second attempt, but of course it may be the 3rd or 4th...

The last option is to look up all your local caches now. Identify the ones in woodland and hurry up, you've only got a few weeks to get them! :)

I use an MLR SP24, which generally I really like, but it's not good under trees.

If the cache isn't too far in, I go out into the open and take several walks toward the trees, following the arrow and noting the distance counting down. Each time I try to pick a particular tree or somesuch that seems to be at about gps zero. This usually works well.

If the cache is a long way in under trees, I usually spend a long time searching... :laughing:

I walk past outside tree cover until I get as close as possible and then use a compass bearing

I have found my Legend keeps lock quite well as long as you have a strong signal and accurate fix before plunging in to the undergrowth. I usually experiment to get determine the best orientation and try to maintain it as I approach the cache.

Methodical box search usually delivers the goods if all else fails!

Of course, you would hope that a responsible cache setter had tested the signal avaialbility in all seasons :D

To be fair, most of the forest bound caches I have done are close to clearings so I have developed a 'clearing hopping' method but the last bit is circling the area trying to get closer and keep the signal and then finally it's down to cacher's instinct and the clues.

Final solution is to pack a chain saw and create your own clearing.

Keep to the paths for as long as possible and look for clearings with a clear view of the sky.

Use the arrow on the GPS and pick a distant object that is in line with it and walk SLOWLY towards the object.

Or walk along the path towards the location and get someone to point into the trees at the correct angle walk 20 paces further and post a second sentry walk back towards the other person but halfway turn into the trees till all 3 intersect.

Do Lynn's dizzy dance where you use ever decreasing circles till you hit ground zero.

Obtain a mysterious ability know as the force

Hunt in packs :anicute: