Very Confused About Palm Paperless

Knoxes

We're new to this, and after a couple of hours, I finally figured out how to get the location d/l to the gps through GSAK. After wandering around one location for 20 minutes, looking for a virtual cache (heh - didn't have the notes), I figured I oughta have the notes with us. I'd like to put them on my palm, so I d/l CacheMate, but how do I get the location and notes on there??

Please be explicit. I'm not a bright man.

The loc files that you can dowload as a non-premium member do not have th notes in them they only have the coordinates for the caches. You have to be able to download GPX files and then use either GSAK or the convert program that comes with cachemate to covert the .pdb file then you just hotsync your palm.

I beleive there are other ways of getting the info to palm, but that is the easiest.

I do not understand computers verry well, or at all for that matter. I cut and pate what I need to a text file and than transfer that to my palm, or laptop. Just because I don't understand them does not mean I don't use them. I still type in all the coordinates by hand, never figured out how to connect to the the GPS to the PC and make it work.

We're new to this, and after a couple of hours, I finally figured out how to get the location d/l to the gps through GSAK. After wandering around one location for 20 minutes, looking for a virtual cache (heh - didn't have the notes), I figured I oughta have the notes with us. I'd like to put them on my palm, so I d/l CacheMate, but how do I get the location and notes on there??

Please be explicit. I'm not a bright man.

From Gsak, go to "file", then "export", then "CacheMate PBD File".

Then follow the directions. This will put the file on your computer, and on the next HotSync it will be transferred to your Palm. Open Cachemate on your Palm after the hotSync, and it will open the file for you to read.

HTH!!

Ed

TB&TB

Most of us cacheaholics want to tell you how an experienced cacher would handle this. As someone who is just starting, you may want to try the cheap and easy route first. Not everyone wants to do a 500 waypoint pocket querey. If this sport/hobby catches on you will want cachemate and possibly GSAK as well.

For right now if you are only downloading a few caches for a days hunting, and want more detail to refer to on your PDA while caching. try the wireless access geocaching.com web site and copy the text out to a text file that you can transfer to the PDA. This is the cheap and simple route for the cacher that is only doing a few caches.

:blink: ImpalaBob

"You will be assimilated eventually into a fanatical geocacher!"