True Deception

Deception is my friend. I try to use some in everything I hide, simply because I think humans are too smart not to. Showing a multitude of obvious hidingspots stuffed with sticks and leaves. One of my favorite is a decoy hiding spot which is directly on top of the real one. They root through the decoy, find nothing, move on, DNF. The decoy sits on a flat rock which can be moved(decoy and all) to reveal a false bottom, and an ammo can. The fun to be had in a pile of rocks. :P

Does anybody have any stories about the most deceptive cache that they have ever found. My favorite was a 4 star cache that was a hollowed out bolt...it took me forever to find and gave me many headaches in the process!

Hello

Our favorite find in this area would have been a hollowed out two by four... it was great because we thought that it was just a random piece of wood...We love this game... and all the memories we have made.

I had been planing to hollow out a rock and hide a micro under it to baffle FTF aces. I ended up not, because I ran out of time to do it and could not figure out an easy way to do it. BTW, The Geocache Hunter, my dad worked at Butts Army Airfield as an Avionics tech when we lived in Colorado Springs.

Most deceptive? So far, it was an old wooden fence post. Looked to be sixty years old, even had shreds of the old wire fence attached. It was hollowed out, with the cache in the bottom, and stuck into the ground on two metal prongs. To make things worse, under nearby rocks were notes saying "Look Again" and "Not here".

We used to have a cacher in the area named jim-eye. He had some of the most creative hides I've seen. One of them is a log with the bottom cut out perfectly for an ammo box. He also has one that from all aspects looks like a bird feeder. But when you lift the lid you discover the cache.

Most deceptive? So far, it was an old wooden fence post. Looked to be sixty years old, even had shreds of the old wire fence attached. It was hollowed out, with the cache in the bottom, and stuck into the ground on two metal prongs. To make things worse, under nearby rocks were notes saying "Look Again" and "Not here".

We did that one. We were very happy when we found it by ourselves after we found all the decoys ;) The geogods must have been with us on that one.

I've seen some of the hollowed-out variety as well. One interesting one was an 18" decaying log. The top 5" unscrewed to reveal the inside of a pipe, which had been glued to the inside of the log.

I have come up with my own hiding method based on what I have seen so far. I truly believe in the GPSr's EPE as a potential hiding mechanism. That said, I will normally place my hides within EPE of more "interesting" places, such as piles of felled trees, lots of sticks or rocks, etc. The cache will not be in any of that; in fact, it will be more accessible. My latest cache is a nitro bottle inside a bamboo stick, which is hidden under a log near a bunch of downed trees. After a number of DNFs, I went out to check on the cache and ended up playing the "Who's Closer to the Cache" game with two cachers.

Everything I will create will have some trick to it, be it using the EPE to my advantage, landscaping issues, or putting a key piece of information in a special location. I have to be mindful of people trying to think like the hider. Do I decide not to use the same trick twice, or do I make an exception to the rule to shake people up? I just have to keep clear of my hides being labeled as "evil". But no matter what, I will NEVER do the micro-in-a-fir-tree (though I never said I wouldn't put the micro somewhere near the trees).

I've been working on my first cache to be a hollowed out baseball and when i get the chance i was going to put it behind a baseball feild so geocachers might think its just a baseball hit out of the park.

I don't know about that. My concern is hiding it in such a way that kids retrieving the real thing--baseballs hit out of the park--would not find it. When people look for foul or home run balls, they tend to search like a geocacher. It would be a challenge to hide it in such a way that only geocachers can find it. I am also concerned about, now that I think about it, how the ball cache would last through the elements. I have seen baseballs and softballs that were found the year after, and they "went foul". You'll have to find a way to keep the cache from decomposing--or you could replace the cache every so often.

Good luck.

I've been working on my first cache to be a hollowed out baseball and when i get the chance i was going to put it behind a baseball feild so geocachers might think its just a baseball hit out of the park.

I don't know about that. My concern is hiding it in such a way that kids retrieving the real thing--baseballs hit out of the park--would not find it. When people look for foul or home run balls, they tend to search like a geocacher. It would be a challenge to hide it in such a way that only geocachers can find it. I am also concerned about, now that I think about it, how the ball cache would last through the elements. I have seen baseballs and softballs that were found the year after, and they "went foul". You'll have to find a way to keep the cache from decomposing--or you could replace the cache every so often.

Good luck.

Actually, to make it a bit trickier, all he'd have to do is move the cache further back towards some trees so that those who hit a ball out won't look for it there. Make it look as if some kids playing ball dropped the ball further from the field.

My very first cache was in a birdhouse. The hole in the front was full of nesting material... taped to the inside of the front. The front was hinged to reveal the cache contents. It was nailed to a tree.

There there three other birdhouses in the vicinity, all on posts above eye level. Each real birdhouse had words written on the bottom such as:

"Nice try, geocacher!"

"Go fly south!"

"Not here either!"

It was a lovely debut for my cache-placing adventures... unfortunately the setup was in a mini-floodplain, and it flooded on the next rain. Oh well.

Edited by Sparrowhawk