I'm New

Homeward

Alway Always - strive to have fun!

My most memorable finds also had something else to offer - a scenic view, historical information, a good hunt.

When hiding - place a nice sized container that has a few trades (speaking as a father with young cachers).

And again - have fun with it.

Edited by StarBrand

Hiding

-Find an interesting place for your cache. It doesn't have to blow everyone away, but if you place it in a scenic spot, an area of historic interest or at the end of a pleasant walk you already have a cache that is better than 80 percent of the ones out there. Think why you are bringing people to that spot. If its just for the cache, try a better place.

-Use a quality, waterproof container. If you go cheap and use dollar store plastic containers, deli/Chinese food containers, Gladware, etc... for your cache will likely find yourself visiting frequently to empty out water and dry out the contents. Using a quality container like ammo boxes, Lock n Locks, Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (Blue rim on lid) and Nalgene straight jars will save you a lot of grief.

-Caches aren't garbage recepticles. Don't empty your junk drawer into the cache. If its garbage throw it away. Stock your cache with a few interesting, or useful items. You don't have to break the bank. Many decent items can be found for under 2 bucks and a lot for under a buck.

-If you want your cache to last, hide it where it won't accidently be discovered by non geocachers and where searchers won't be observed.

-Use common sense. Think about what non geocachers might think seeing a stranger wandering around the area with a GPS. Don't place it where it may cause public alarm (many geocaches have been mistaken for bombs). That being said:

-Read the guidelines for placing a cache.

-Finally, maintain your cache. Respond promptly to reported problems.

Hunting

-Don't rely too much on your GPS when you get near ground zero. When you consider your unit's inaccuracy and that of the hider's, the cache can be 50 feet or more from where your GPS is telling you it is.

-When you get to within 50 feet or so, look for the obvious spots first. Hollow stumps and trees, rock crevices, etc... Also look for unnatural piles of sticks (UPS) or unnatural rock piles (URPs) and alongside down trees.

-If its a micro it's often magnetic. Check anything metal. You may need to feel in places you can't see.

-If you still come up empty check your GPS again.

-Start with easier caches and work your way up to the harder ones

Hope this helps!

Edited by briansnat

Although there's no set guidelines about having to have a certain number of finds before placing a cache of your own, I really do suggest you wait until you have a number of finds before hiding one.

I realized after finding different size caches hidden in all sorts of manners that my early hides were pretty lame. I simply didn't know yet what made for a great hide. I plan on re-doing a couple this spring to make them better.

Welcome aboard and have fun out there.

Bring spare batteries and an extra pen.

Don't skimp on the beef jerky. Get the good stuff.

Golf balls have been done before.

Trash dumpsters offer many good hiding places but very few good views. Try to avoid the temptation.

Spider rings have been done before.

If it's furry and has teeth it's probably NOT a cache.

-Don't rely too much on your GPS when you get near ground zero. When you consider your unit's inaccuracy and that of the hider's, the cache can be 50 feet or more from where your GPS is telling you it is.

-When you get to within 50 feet or so, look for the obvious spots first. Hollow stumps and trees, rock crevices, etc... Also look for unnatural piles of sticks (UPS) or unnatural rock piles (URPs) and alongside down trees.

I'll copy these two points to stress them again. There's often the misconception that the GPS will take you to within inches of the cache ("Your coordinates are 3 feet off!"), when in reality, 20-30 feet is the best you'll get in many situations. Rather than rely on the GPS to put you right on top of the cache, stop a few feet out (40-50), look at the direction the arrow is pointing, and scout out likely hiding spots. This also helps negate the "slingshot effect", in which your GPS is a few seconds behind your actual position and doesn't report that you're on top of the cache until you've gone 50 feet or more past it. Once you stop moving, the GPS takes a few seconds to catch up, and you end up having to backtrack. Some units are better about this than others.

Don't stick your hand in anyplace that you have not looked in first. Carry a small flashlight for this purpose. Also carry toilet paper (for a different purpose). Do not use DEET towelettes in place of toilet paper. Waypoint your car. Write a note to let Whom It May Concern know where you are going. Do not put the note in your pocket. Carry a hiking stick. Carry a compass, and be aware of what direction you are travelling. If the GPS dies on you, you may need to fall back on the compass. Topo maps are your friend.

Rather than rely on the GPS to put you right on top of the cache, stop a few feet out (40-50), look at the direction the arrow is pointing, and scout out likely hiding spots. This also helps negate the "slingshot effect", in which your GPS is a few seconds behind your actual position and doesn't report that you're on top of the cache until you've gone 50 feet or more past it. Once you stop moving, the GPS takes a few seconds to catch up, and you end up having to backtrack. Some units are better about this than others.

Of course this applies mainly to you Magellan owners! :mad:

But the advice to look ahead is very good no matter which brand you use, three of my reasons:

1. There have been many times when i've spotted the cache's hiding place from 50 or more feet out.

2. By doing this i have a good idea where ground zero is gonna end up being. The GPSr arrow sometimes can't make up it's mind when you get close, (lots of tree cover messing with signal for instance). As i make my approach, i look ahead, watch my arrow, and note my distance to cache. I'll pick out a landmark that i think is at about in the right place which gives me a good estimate as to where ground zero is. So now, even if i end up completely losing satellite signal, i still know im pretty close and can make a search.

3. Of course this is a safety thing too. Always watch where you are going and stepping. :mad: