Cacher Of The Month 2006

adambro

I would like to announce that the Cacher of the month website is now accepting entries for January 2006. All are invited to participate no matter what your score.

Existing participants can register to receive login details so they can submit their stats online. New participants can either email their stats to me or let me know their GC.com username so I can add them to the database so that they can register then submit their results using the form.

If anyone has any trouble with registering or using the web form then they should let me know and I will try to resolve the issue. Entries by email are welcome if that is more convenient for you.

As before, entries will be accepted from the 1st to the 15th of each month for the previous months stats. With the results being published on the 16th. The scoring also remains unchanged.

See http://www.aebrookes.co.uk/cotm/

Adam

:ph34r: Do we share any points for caches when we go out with others, as the find is often by someone else and on at least one occasion before we got out the car. Also we often move on tbs from our bug box that have lingered there, should we claim points for these or not or is it all `finds` and no accompnied assists to be registered. :ph34r:

Just entered my results Adam, thanks mate, nice and easy.

Just one question, you say TBs count on the day you pick up, then it says they have to be moved on to count(if I'm reading it right), what happens if you pick up in one month and dont move them till the next month? I have 2 TBs that I picked up last week and stilll have them, I have entered them in COTM, if this is wromg them please just ammend as needed.

I will edit the rules to make it a bit clearer but your interpretation is correct.

TBs count when you log them out of a cache for the purpose of moving them. So logging in and out (such as at an event, or if you can't help the TB on its way) wouldn't count. It doesn't matter when you drop them in a cache.

I'll have a think but it might be better for TBs to count when dropped into a cache.

Adam

I'll have a think but it might be better for TBs to count when dropped into a cache.

Adam

I'd say leave it as it is - count them on the day you pick them up.

I agree as personally I have always taken it that TB’s count on the day you pick them up (same as counting a cache find) rather than when dropped off as it seems more logical to me.

I must say Adam you have done a great job on the new COTM sight, which I found very easy to use, thank you for continuing on with Degoo's good work.

Al

Just made a minor update to the website. If you are logged in, you will be able to see the months results that you have submitted but have not yet been published by looking on your profile page. Others won't be able to see your results until publication. So now you'll be able to confirm what the database has you down as having.

Just made a minor update to the website. If you are logged in, you will be able to see the months results that you have submitted but have not yet been published by looking on your profile page. Others won't be able to see your results until publication. So now you'll be able to confirm what the database has you down as having.

Hm. I submitted some earlier this week, but it does not show any in the little panel above the login box. I assume that is where they should be?

you could just publish them in another column on the table - gives us a chance to explain why we've done so well / badly this month.

I was thinking the same thing... but restrict the comments field to just 30 characters maybe to avoid war and peace.

Could be interesting...

Ours are in ... not brilliant (but better than Stuey's at least :wacko: ) - was nice and easy, thanks Adam. But missed the reminder email from Deego this month! :lol::lol:

That is something that I am working towards, I'm aiming to be able to send out reminders a few days before the deadline. The emails will feature a link to follow if you don't wish to recieve reminders and will only be sent out if you haven't submitted that months results when its getting close to the deadline.

I could also create an email to go out when I publish the latest months results with the details. I would probably make this opt-in though.

Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

Thinking of joining this, can the owner confirm that any data that I supply such as email address, is stored on a server behind a firewall and that it travels to and from that server in a form which can't be sniffed by a 3rd party? Also is the login to the database taking place within a PHP webpage, or within a Stored Procedure using encrypted generic database login via a PHP webpage?

The second method was the model which Banking organisations required when I was working on credit card payment system, and with the increase in identity theft I would only be happy to login to a database from within the database. We should consider any data we submit as secure as criminals can piece together identities.

Thank you for your interest Moote.

Whilst I do not consider the security requirements of my system to be that of banks, I am very keen to protect the interests of users. I do not believe it is a good idea to discuss such matters on an open forum however.

I would be interested to hear from you as it sounds like you have a wealth of experience of this area that may be able to contribute further to the security of the website.