Now That's What I Call A Cache!

Snoogans

5c9eed42-dd98-4701-bab2-3e9427679a57.jpg

It's B-B-B-BIG. It has been archived for awhile, but a recent rescue mission has my hopes up to see it back in action again sometime soon. ;):(

Nope. Ain't tellin' 'cuz that might ruin the surprise. If there is one..... ;):P

Anyone else got pics of a cache near this size or bigger???

The Hugh Jass Cache - GCM1F9 was the largest cache in Central Texas. 24 Gallon action packer loaded to the gills with swag. It lives on as another Austin area cache, I won't say which and spoil it.

Hugh Jazz Cooler Cache was a 20-gallon Coleman cooler filled with great big swag. Alas, coolers are designed to keep water in, not out. Look for a return of this one soon. It was the largest cache in Kansas while it lived.

I like big caches. They're a challenge to hide and lots of fun to find. Besides, you can use large, hardback logbooks in 'em. Hugh Jass cache was a sort of ladies' diary, tied with a pink ribbon. The Hugh Jazz Cooler cache used an accountant's ledger.

Edited by Hugh Jazz

Here is one of mine. It is listed as a small, white, 4 by 4 container under a pile of rocks. The entire interior is the cache container. The tire is a travel bug that is out travelling right now. The rock is also a travel bug, but no one has taken my 300 pound bug, I wonder why?

When this one started it was filled with the duplicate presents from our wedding. Three coffee makers, a toaster, crystal picture frames, a lamp etc. It has definitely been traded down.

db87cd9c-b278-4b31-a9ca-3304398e1b81.jpg

Edited by Monkeybrad
Well they make my large container look like a micro. Now tell me how you drag them 2 miles into the woods.

Large container that looks like a micro? How about this:

35mm Mega-Micro

A 5 Gallon Bucket, bottom painted black, lid painted grey. Log-only. The log-scroll is one of those industrial restroom-rolls of paper towels for drying hands. The 'pencil' is about half the size of a baseball bat.

I always tried to position my "Hugh Jazz" caches so they were actually quite near convenient parking. The Austin cache was about 200 ft from the lot, and I used a dolly to haul it out there, fully loaded. The Wichita cache was about 100 feet from the parking lot and I employed my wife "Laura Jazz" to team-carry it out there.

The biggest one I've personally seen was a cache I hid. I don't have any pics that I took of it, but here is one from another cacher:

791785_200.jpg

It was THIS cache. This cache wouldn't get approved today as:

A.) It was temporary

B.) It solicited donations

C.) it in a large hole that I dug, covered by a tumbleweed.

The cache was a drop point for toys to be donated to Toys For Tots. It was in a dirt lot right next to my house, and anytime someone logged it I'd go retreive the toys incase it got muggles. We got quite a hual of toys, and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not argueing with the guidelines, I can see why these things are against them now, but this sure was a fun cache to do.

Wasn't there a cache that was a travel trailer? Seems when I first started looking at these Forums someone mentioned that cache and said the hint said "under some rocks."

This old travel trailer was in a field without a rock anywhere in sight . . . however, on the top of the trailer, above the door, there were a few rocks.

Does anyone else remember that one? :rolleyes:

I like big caches. They're a challenge to hide and lots of fun to find.

OK. I gotta tell a story about that big red box.

It was set out by the dumpster by my company because the rollers were coming apart. I rescued it and stored it in the receiving dock at work for about six months until they told me to get rid of it.

I had no place for it or time to work on it, but I had wanted to disguise it to look like an electrical box that you see in neighborhoods.

I posted a thread to get someone to take it and one brave soul took up the challenge.

When the cache was posted a couple weeks later, I hot footed right out to find it and was STF. I KNEW what I was looking for and yet, I got to within 20 feet before I saw it. It was NOT camoed at all! Hellloooo! BIG RED BOX right out in the open. It was just well placed. There were no drag marks or broken limbs to suggest anything THAT LARGE had been placed there and the angle of approach around a large fallen tree tended to direct your gaze past it. It was the strangest thing. It's a good thing there are no real large predators in Texas, 'cuz I would have been a gonner had it been one.

People kept commenting that he must have used a helicoptor to place it, when in fact he had trucked it in 3/4 of a mile using a large, one wheel, garden cart, and fighting a bout with the flu to boot.

5c9eed42-dd98-4701-bab2-3e9427679a57.jpg

It's B-B-B-BIG. It has been archived for awhile, but a recent rescue mission has my hopes up to see it back in action again sometime soon. ^_^:D

Nope. Ain't tellin' 'cuz that might ruin the surprise. If there is one..... :D:P

Anyone else got pics of a cache near this size or bigger???

Wow, and I thought the APE caches were big!

When the cache was posted a couple weeks later, I hot footed right out to find it and was STF. I KNEW what I was looking for and yet, I got to within 20 feet before I saw it. It was NOT camoed at all! Hellloooo! BIG RED BOX right out in the open. It was just well placed. There were no drag marks or broken limbs to suggest anything THAT LARGE had been placed there and the angle of approach around a large fallen tree tended to direct your gaze past it. It was the strangest thing. It's a good thing there are no real large predators in Texas, 'cuz I would have been a gonner had it been one.

People kept commenting that he must have used a helicoptor to place it, when in fact he had trucked it in 3/4 of a mile using a large, one wheel, garden cart, and fighting a bout with the flu to boot.

Truly masterful. I only hope to pull something like that off someday. I'll skip the flu part, though. Thanks for sharing the story. It's inspiring.

I always tried to position my "Hugh Jazz" caches so they were actually quite near convenient parking. The Austin cache was about 200 ft from the lot, and I used a dolly to haul it out there, fully loaded. The Wichita cache was about 100 feet from the parking lot and I employed my wife "Laura Jazz" to team-carry it out there.

May I just point out that the reincarnated Hugh Jazz cache is located 1.2 miles from the street parking and was placed 50' off the trail with a change in elevation of 300'.

And I placed it ALONE! :D

The beauty is that anyone walking along the hiking trail will never see it even though the only camo is the two small trees in front of it that keep it from tumbling down the hill.