Keeping Track Of Your Orders

gridlox

I know this has been covered somewhere, but since the SEARCH function isn't working right I couldn't look.

Other than the online trading sites, how do you keep track of what you've ordered, who you ordered(pre-ordered) from, and if you've paid?

I know I've posted on several pre-order threads (or sent emails) in the past few weeks that I was interested in ordering, but for the life of me I can't remember which ones I need to be expecting an invoice on.

I had a bit of extra cash on hand to let me purchase several different ones at one time back before Christmas. But now that I've used that up, I need to keep better track of what I'm obligating myself to, to keep from over spending beyond my means.

Dang It!! If everyone would quit putting out such cool coins, I wouldn't be in this predicament!

D-man :unsure:

Never delete any email!!  :D

Good advice! :D

"But" it's kinda hard to keep them when your hard drive crashes and you loose everything (INCLUDING almost a years worth of graphic designs & invoices) THANK GOD FOR MONTHLY BACK UPS ON THE BOTH OF THEM!! At least all I lost on those were 2 weeks worth! (Glad December is slow! :blink: )

That's the main reason for looking for other options that others use that I could start doing.

Preferably something that could be saved to disc so I wouldn't run into the loose everything HD crash thing again.

I was thinking maybe using a spreadsheet like in Excell?

Anyone have something set-up in that already that they'd like to share? :P

D-man :unsure:

EDIT: Damenace posted as I was typing, but I see that I'm at least going in the same direction as at least one other person :lol:

Edited by gridlox
Never delete any email!! :unsure:

All my geocaching corresponding is done through my Gmail account. I really like Gmail because I do not have to store anything on my hard drive. I never have to worry about loosing any information unless Gmail crashes. I save all my emails ( over 9000 emails saved to date), then I just search my emails if I need any information.

Never delete any email!!  :D

Good advice! :)

"But" it's kinda hard to keep them when your hard drive crashes and you loose everything (INCLUDING almost a years worth of graphic designs & invoices) THANK GOD FOR MONTHLY BACK UPS ON THE BOTH OF THEM!! At least all I lost on those were 2 weeks worth! (Glad December is slow! :lol: )

That's the main reason for looking for other options that others use that I could start doing.

Preferably something that could be saved to disc so I wouldn't run into the loose everything HD crash thing again.

I was thinking maybe using a spreadsheet like in Excell?

Anyone have something set-up in that already that they'd like to share? :D

D-man :blink:

EDIT: Damenace posted as I was typing, but I see that I'm at least going in the same direction as at least one other person :P

The other thing I do is run duel hard drives. I store all important documents on the non OS hard drive. If a hard drive is going to get corrupted and crash it usually is going to be OS related. Unless you loose a disc sector on your hard drive, but if you are not using the second hard drive for anything other than storage the chances of something going wrong have drastically decreased.

OOPS edit:

One more thing I do is any file that is in an Excel format or Word format I store on my PDA so if the hard drive does crash you have it stored on your PDA.

One last thing you can do for storage of info, if you have a free email account somewhere such as Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail, email your file to yourself so you can store it on there server, it is securely backup up every day. This works great for Gmail since they allow so much storage on their system

Just some helpful tips :unsure:

Edited by Damenace

I use Microsoft Access databases.

I have 1 database with individuals, along with their real names and addresses and email addresses.

I have another database with coins, along with the coin number, dates ordered, paid, and received, if it's a keeper or trader, has it been traded, etc.

I have 1 other database containing my trade info, including who and when and details.

I have the trade database tied to the coin database through the trade number and I have the individual database tied to the trade database through the individual number.

I can produce reports showing all of my traders, all of my keepers, all of my outstanding trades, coins I've received today, etc.

I keep these databases on a flash drive so that I can update them either at work or home (can you say addict :unsure:). I then backup the file to both machines. Now if there's a crash, I should be safe because I have it in 3 places.

I have 1 database with individuals, along with their real names and addresses and email addresses.

I have another database with coins, along with the coin number, dates ordered, paid, and received, if it's a keeper or trader, has it been traded, etc.

I have 1 other database containing my trade info, including who and when and details.

I have the trade database tied to the coin database through the trade number and I have the individual database tied to the trade database through the individual number.

I can produce reports showing all of my traders, all of my keepers, all of my outstanding trades, coins I've received today, etc.

I keep these databases on a flash drive so that I can update them either at work or home (can you say addict :unsure:). I then backup the file to both machines. Now if there's a crash, I should be safe because I have it in 3 places.

So when is the next event on how to use Access?

Well I guess I'm still in the stone age!!I simply print out the order e-mails and paypal receipts mark them waiting for and stick them it a folder.When orders arrive mark them recieved and move them to another folder.I dont wory about crashes.I also save all e_mails untill orders arive.

Happy Caching in 2006. Nanni&PapK

...Other than the online trading sites, how do you keep track of what you've ordered, who you ordered(pre-ordered) from, and if you've paid?...

I just create subfolders in my email app for the name of the coin being traded or purchased. All emails that I receive (and send) go into that folder. When the trade is completed, the folder is moved into the "Trades Closed" subfolder. It's an easy way to deal with the emails, and works well.

TradeListTemp.jpg

--Marc

January 1, 2006 @ 12:24 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I try to use several systems so that when I neglect to update one (which is inevitable) I will have a record elsewhere to catch the mistake.

I kkep a form (printed from excel) beside the keyboard and make notes of offers and confirmed trades. I save the emails in a Yahoo folder (no loss risk). Finally I print the email once I get a mailing address sent.

The only thing that screws me up is procrastination and there is no good system to avoid that... :ph34r:

I keep these databases on a flash drive so that I can update them either at work or home (can you say addict :ph34r:). I then backup the file to both machines. Now if there's a crash, I should be safe because I have it in 3 places.

Would you mind sharing this database with others? I have contemplated seting up somethhing similar ot this but haven't dedicatged the time to it. If you dont mind sharing (with our without sample data) I'd like to take a peak. My email is outdoorlady79ATNOSPAMyahoo.com