How Did You Discover Caching?

Rose_Thorn

I'd owned the Etrex for about 3 years, using it for work and linking to my palm and its old navigation software. I was looking on the internet for a software to show routelogs with maps, and I came across a "What to do with your GPS" sit, which linked to geocaching. I use the GPSr a lot more now!

We discovered it because Sensei TSKC went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on :P hey but were grateful for it ;)<_<:o;):P

Edited by Jolly green giants

Used my GPS in the army. Getting lost and having to ask directions on the way to the war would look a bit uncool and go against the image of an lean mean green fighting machine (stop sniggering at the back, I was once - my mum told me). When I left the army I kept it and stumbled onto the website one day (but don't remember how).

Thought a handheld GPS was a really Good Idea (it's a gadget and I'm a bloke right?)

Did the traditional Google search to find out what people throught about the various GPSrs

Someone described the etrex legend as wonderful, so good in fact that he had found his first geocache

'Wonder what that is?' I thought

Blinds opened, curtains drawn back, pennies fell from eyes, light dawned - what a great idea!!!

Been hooked ever since

Dam you geocaching.com! B) [and I know that is misspelt!)

One of my mates is both gadget mad and loaded.

I had a family skiing holiday booked and thought it might be useful if we had walkie talkies in case we got seperated on the mountains. He recommended a garmin rino - walkie talkie and gps unit that tells you where the person is that you are talking to.

So that lead me to GPS websites and from there, a link from one of them to GC.com was all it took.

I found the 1st cache before I had the GPS and I ended up getting a Vista and separate walkie talkies.

As a long distance walker (LDWA anyone?) bought an etrex on ebay. Seller sent two by mistake and asked me to sell the spare for him which I did at a walking event in Sheringham Norfolk. The chap who bought it said it was for his daughter to go geocaching with. Looked up this strange word on the net and was instantly hooked! I now bore ebveryone by telling them about my latest obsession!

I found out through Bookcrossing. Someone hid a book in my local patk for me to find. When we were emailing each other later, she mentioned that she had found out about bookcrossing through a book she had found in a geocache. I was curious to see what geocaching was, and eventually ended up on the geocaching website. I had a go looking for a cache in the grounds of a local church (which I found without a gps). I enjoyed that enough to go out and buy an etrex.

My brother called me up on a dreary morning and asked if I wanted to go treasure hunting and I responded yea when I was 10. He said it is a new tech game, so I said yes and we found some. I borrowed afirend GPSr and did a few more then forgot about it. This year we got our own GPSr and the little ones love it.

My brother called me up on a dreary morning and asked if I wanted to go treasure hunting and I responded yea when I was 10. He said it is a new tech game, so I said yes and we found some. I borrowed afirend GPSr and did a few more then forgot about it. This year we got our own GPSr and the little ones love it.

Hang on, if geocaching started in 2000 and you were 10 when you started caching, even assuming you started right at the beginning of the sport/hobby/addiction, it's only 2006 now, so please explain 'little ones' Eek!

Andy33 told me all about it, but I didn't think much more on it. Then Walton Wanderer (soon to be Andy33's son-in-law and finace of my wife's best friend) got a gps for TA stuff. He took me out to do a cache and show me what it did (strangely, one of Andy33's. Keep it in the family!) and I was hooked!!

It wasn't long before my wife, Annette, came with me and she was hooked too! I had to change our id from Woody's Wanderer to Woody's Wanderers :P

This w/end we completed Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs.....with Walton Wanderer and fiancee!! :)

I was trying to sort out a TomTom problem for my PDA on a PDA forum and saw a reference to geocaching and followed the link! I already had a PDA and GPS so it's been a cheap start up for me so far. :P

Have yet to meet any other cachers but keeping my eyes out!

I was trying to sort out a TomTom problem for my PDA on a PDA forum and saw a reference to geocaching and followed the link! I already had a PDA and GPS so it's been a cheap start up for me so far. :P

Have yet to meet any other cachers but keeping my eyes out!

You'll mainly see me lurking around canal towpaths, sliding all over the place. :)

It came up in a topic on a designer toy forum I frequent about a year ago. I thought it looked cool, but did not want to shell out on a GPS (was a poor student then!).

About two months ago the topic reappeared and after some deleiberation i decided to buy a GPS and have a try.

Colin