My Book Coins

rojeel

I started a collection of coins in a book. I used some ideas from these forums to create pages. I used 9 pocket plastic sheets and got some foam sheets from Wal-mart and a cutter from Michael's. The book is coming together nicely. I want to have it when I put on an event and share Geocoins with others.

Now the problem. I started activating the coins in the book and my coin inventory on my personal page is growing ever longer :lol::) . I have only activated a few and I have many more to activate for my book.

How do you keep your TB/Coin inventories seperate? or

Do I just have to scroll through all the TBs when I go to a cache to drop off a TB I picked up?

I thought about logging them all into my archived event cache and removing them when I attend events, but that could be a whole different set of problems.

Any Suggestions??

And while you are in a helpful mood, how do you cut and paste a part of a post and place it into a new post (inside the highlighted gray box).

Thanks

And while you are in a helpful mood, how do you cut and paste a part of a post and place it into a new post (inside the highlighted gray box).

Thanks

For the quoting part, just click on the "Quote" button in the original post. (Don't hit reply.)

Once there, you can delete the parts you don't want to quote.

As far as your inventory, that is a problem. Between events, I dump all of my coins into an archived cache of mine. That keeps my inventory clear for my regular caching.

Also, for going to events it will help if you put all of your tracking numbers on a sheep of paper and let people copy from that. Otherwise they will spend forever trying to read the nubmers on your coins!

I haven't been activating my keeper coins largely because I don't want to deal with that long list. I also want my stats to reflect items I moved so I didn't want to activate keepers.

Your idea of logging them into an archived cache could work I think.

Edited by carleenp

Not sure what you are asking, but

I have 2 different colors of foam sheets (there are at least 10 at Wal-Mart). I plan on either seperating GC.com coins, from trackable on other sites coins, from non trackable coins and placing dividers, or just mixing them up and let others see all my coins. I will also put my military coins into the book.

I am trying to seperate them somehow on the website, so I don't have to scroll through 20,30, 40 entries when I want to drop off a TB/Geocoin into a cache.

:)

As far as your inventory, that is a problem. Between events, I dump all of my coins into an archived cache of mine. That keeps my inventory clear for my regular caching.

Also, for going to events it will help if you put all of your tracking numbers on a sheep of paper and let people copy from that. Otherwise they will spend forever trying to read the nubmers on your coins!

The sheet of paper is a good idea, I strain to see the numbers sometimes, and I can tilt the coin, not something I would want 40 or more people doing.

When you pull out all those coins, do you have to do a seperate entry for each coin? Do you take all your coins to the events? Can they grab the coin if I don't move it to the event cache page? If I put 30 coins on an event page, that could make for a long page.

I am trying my first quote , so let's see if it works. :)

I haven't been activating my keeper coins largely because I don't want to deal with that long list. I also want my stats to reflect items I moved so I didn't want to activate keepers.

We have 2 collections.

My daughters stays at home and is going to be displayed in a rack.

Mine will be the traveller.

The sheet of paper is a good idea, I strain to see the numbers sometimes, and I can tilt the coin, not something I would want 40 or more people doing.

When you pull out all those coins, do you have to do a seperate entry for each coin? Do you take all your coins to the events? Can they grab the coin if I don't move it to the event cache page? If I put 30 coins on an event page, that could make for a long page.

I am trying my first quote , so let's see if it works. :)

Your quote worked! :lol:

The whole coin thing at events is tedious, but everyone that sees and logs them will appreciate your effort. I know Groundspeak is working on a solution for this problem that will make life much easier, but until they do, there is only one way I know to handle this.

First, if my coins aren't in my inventory, and are in my archived cache or elsewhere, I have to "grab" them into my inventory. Yes, that means I need to enter the tracking number for each one and grab it.

Next, I visit the event page, "Write a Note", highlight all of the bugs and coins I am logging into it, then post it.

**NOTE! When the next page pops up, showing the review of your log, hit the delete button, then say you are sure. What this does is delete the actual note itself so it doesn't clog the event page with bug drops. However, it still leaves everything you dropped at the event. The new way the are handling multiple coins and bugs in an event keeps the main page very clean.

Third, Print out a list of all of your coin numbers, and make copies if you want. At the bottom of the list, ask all loggers to keep the coins in their inventory. Ask them to make sure they don't put them back in the event. Each successive logger will then grab the coin from the previous logger.

Once all the activity dies down, send an email to the holder of your coins, and if you are using an archived cache to store them, ask them to do the drop there. Any late loggers can grab them from there and then return them.

Get ready! Every single time each and every coin gets logged, you will get an email. If it is a large event, you will get several hundreds of emails over the next week or so! This is one of the things Groundspeak is working on a solution for.

Other than that, have fun! You will find that people really appreciate the opportunity to see and log your collection. :lol:

I haven't been activating my keeper coins largely because I don't want to deal with that long list.

One solution I have heard about is to create a second Groundspeak nick (some use a variation to their primary nick) and then they use the second account for activating their coins (and TBs). Both accounts are set up with the same email so movement is reported to the owner.

I have not done this yet, and from previous posts in this forum and anxiously awaiting the Groundspeak solution ...

I named mine Rojeel's __________ Book Coin so I knew it was part of my binder collection. A few of my other coins also start with Rojeel. That I can fix from now on with a little more creativity.

What have you seen done at event caches that hasn't been covered. I got some good ideas earlier, and now that the West Coast is finally getting home, maybe they could provide other ideas and suggestions. :lol:

I started a collection of coins in a book. I used some ideas from these forums to create pages. I used 9 pocket plastic sheets and got some foam sheets from Wal-mart and a cutter from Michael's. The book is coming together nicely. I want to have it when I put on an event and share Geocoins with others.

Can you tell me what the foam is for? (or link me to another thread??)

I got some coin holder sheets from local coin shop, they have 20 2" slots. They work good for my small signature token collection. But I'm have some trouble with the metal coins, especially the thick heavy ones. They like to work they're way out of the pockets... Other than taping the pockets closes, what can I do to stop them from getting loose? At the moment they're just the coin by itself in the pocket, would it help if I stapled them into the cardboard coin holders? Or should I look for sheets with pockets bigger than 2"???

thanks for any advice

I'm currently using the 9 pocket trading card pages and black fun foam also. I just lay the coin on the foam and cut out a circle around the coin and it fits nice and snug. I do precut the foam to fit the pocket made a template out of thin aluminum, cut the same size as a trading card, and trace that with an exacto knife. fits the pocket nice and snug and the coins stay where they are supposed to. the brand/kind I bought is; Ultra-pro Hologram series. They are acid free, no PVC, and provide UV protection. If I remember correctly they were $4 at Walmart for a pack of 30 pages for a toatl of 270 slots. best of all they are made right here in the good old USA!!

Can you tell me what the foam is for? (or link me to another thread??)

I got some coin holder sheets from local coin shop, they have 20 2" slots. They work good for my small signature token collection. But I'm have some trouble with the metal coins, especially the thick heavy ones. They like to work they're way out of the pockets... Other than taping the pockets closes, what can I do to stop them from getting loose? At the moment they're just the coin by itself in the pocket, would it help if I stapled them into the cardboard coin holders? Or should I look for sheets with pockets bigger than 2"???

thanks for any advice

go to this thread for more ideas

Better yet... (for all involved)

Create a Wordpad document of your inventory with the coin number & name and just have the person wanting to log your coins drop you an email.

Then, "copy & paste" the inventory list into the reply.

And then they just "copy & paste" the coin numbers to log them.

This also helps lower the confusion on some of the numbers when someone has a less than legible handwriting! :mad:

It also makes it less time consuming for all that want to view your coins when no one has to sit and copy each and every number. :unsure:

D-man :lol: