Gner Vs Virgin

Bassrock

Ok,

Whilst on my way to a cache in deepest Lincolnshire, I took the opportunity to try out my GPS and TTM5. However, trouble with Virgin Voyager train heading south is that not even the tweeniest signal could I receive e.g. nothing, zilch, deed (guid scottish wurd). However, one train change later, tis a GNER train, hey presto were soon doing 125.2 mph and TTM5 is trying to jump the rails, signal lock is solid.

So

Anyone ever managed to obtain even the faintest of signals on a Virgin Voyager train.

Me thinks the windows are different ??!!

Bassrock ;)

Not all French cars have the relevant GPS killer screens - and it can be bloody difficult working out in advance if the car you buy will recieve GPS signals through the windscreen. Signals can come through other windows meaning that a killer screen may allow a GPS situated in some locations on the dash to work. Plenty of discussion of this now and again in the Hardware/Software section.

I still can't explain this one.

When I got my first GPS I couldn't wait to see it working, but it was lashing down outside. I have large patio doors and can see the sky pretty well, so I fired up the GPS and got no signal.

I have a double glazed back door, 4 feet to the right, facing exactly the same way. Moved the GPS there, signal lock. Moved it back to the patio doors, end of signal.

I then bought another GPSr. Tried it again with that, same problem.

It works fine through every other double glazed unit in the house, except the 6 foot high, 20 foot wide double glazed patio doors. There's nothing fancy about the glass to my knowledge.

The Virgin Voyager trains make a great Faraday cage and getting any electromagnetic signal to penetrate them seems next to imposable. On the positive side I don't get interrupted but phone calls more of the time, but the down side is that I can rarely keep a GPS lock of an distance. Holding the eTrex at a right angle to the windows seems to work well for me on the old GNER trains.

I have never had much of a problem with any cars. I rented one every weekend for about a year and never got two the same, but the GPS always worked on the dash for me. Another thing I learnt by doing this is the speedometers in cars are horribly inaccurate.

It works fine through every other double glazed unit in the house, except the 6 foot high, 20 foot wide double glazed patio doors. There's nothing fancy about the glass to my knowledge.

Perhaps the patio doors are filled with a gas rather than a vacuum?

Alternatively the signal might be deflected by such a large piece of glass?

I gather that one operator deliberately coated the windows with something or other to prevent people using mobile phones and hence annoying all the other passengers. Thought it was Chiltern though.

BTW, Alistair, you will have to tell me about how you get from where you are to this neck of the woods by Virgin sometime... I cannot find ANY information about that at all.

BTW, Alistair, you will have to tell me about how you get from where you are to this neck of the woods by Virgin sometime... I cannot find ANY information about that at all.
You can go via Tamworth if you desperately want to go by Virgin, and if you need to change at Watford it can be quicker than going in to London and out again. :huh: Personally I tend to use the Virgin trains when going to Middlesbrough by changing at Darlington.

So you're on a train using gps.

1. How exactly are you going to go the wrong way on rails?

2. If you do go the wrong way what exactly are you going to do about it?

Unless of course you are the driver in which case jumping out would be a good plan!

B)

You are implying that we would not use a GPS when there is no need to do so. That confuses me slightly. B)
I have personally witnessed canal boats with on board navigation systems. I mean, how much navigating does one need to do on a canal?
err....
You are implying that we would not use a GPS when there is no need to do so. That confuses me slightly.  :huh:

B)

exactly - i didn't actually make that point, but I was agreeing with what you say! I have used my GPS in the car on the way to work - its not like I don't know the route!