Laptop

Shadow's

I keep my laptop running with Franson GPSGate installed. This lets me use my puck gps with Streets and Trips, Street Atlas and Mapsource running. Streets and trips does a good job of picking several caches and selecting the best route to get them all in. Street Atlas will do a search in the direction of travel for gas stations, food etc. I run mapsource just because I can. It also has the most up to date maps for me.

I also run Watcher and log caches as I find them.

Also when I do a multi state hunt I can load just the caches for the state I am in.

My laptop has Delorme street atlas. Each cache is placed on a map with information about the cache. I use it to find ways into caches when I dont know the area. Something my gpsr dont do.

I also have GSAK and keep my notes on that about my finds. Gsak will automaticly log finds when I get hooked up to the internet.

The laptop can also keep any info you need out in the field. I downloaded maps before Delorme and had them on the laptop. Saves printing them.

Only thing I don't like about driving with the laptop is its ability to inexplicably wander around the passenger seat, and I haven't decided to go for the laptop mount to make it work.

Other than that, I use GPS trackmaker with calibrated raster maps and GSAK. I like GTM because it uses Garmin's protocol for real time tracking. Though, now with my new Palm T|X I won't take the laptop out of the house anymore. I have the equivalent of both those programs with Pathaway and Cachemate.

:o lol

Ok, so what you are telling me is that you use these programs to load cache data and then map them, right?

What if you want to check on caches as you go some where? Is there a way to be online as you travel?

Will these programs tell you the distance from one cache to another.

And last but not least, (for now,lol) I am looking for a site that I can list the longitude and latitude (not just of a cache) and be able to get a map of where it is?

Thanks again

Rick

Edited by Shadow's

Phew, that's all a tall order.

If I was in the states, I'd use MS Streets&Trips or Delorme's TopoUSA that I have to do my mapping (after importing my caches). Here in Japan, I don't have one of those types of programs. I have map imagery I've downloaded from the net and then calibrated to be an overlay in my map programs.

Nowadays, you can check for Wifi hotspots (http://www.jwire.com for starters) in the area you're going to be before going out. Then stop by and get yourself updates through wireless internet access. Unless you have a cell phone that surf's the net, then if you have that, you can check/log caches through http://wap.geocaching.com. (you won't be able to check maps this way generally unless you have some other software that I'm more unfamiliar with and just now beginning to play with).

There are a handful of places around where I live that I can "wardrive up next to" (legal hotspots) and get a wireless connection to the net to check the web for info, but I've found it easier to do good solid research before going and just double check my cache intentions right before I leave the house. A few other GPSr games I play I'd prefer to have more up-to-date info as I'm out and about, but I'm figgerin new ways to do that kinda stuff.

I run GPS on my laptop 99% of the time.

I am using garmins mapsource program with my garmin Emap.

I use a power inverter for the laptop and the Emap cable I have plugs into the cigarette lighter on the vehicle and the laptop. So, the Emap is powered by the auto and so is the laptop.

I have gotten a much better inverter since this picture but here is what it looked like when I first started using it

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/at...ent.asp?id=9143

it is very handy! its even more handy when you have a passenger that is into it as you and knows how to use the software (I have yet to find that passenger haha)

What I purchased to do this..

Mapsource software - 75 bucks?

Dual action cable (serial and power)-20 bucks

Power inverter (to run the laptop)- 40 bucks

Serial to USB coverter (for the cable from the gps to the laptop)- 20 bucks

Windsheild mount for my Emap - 20 bucks

Worth every penny the first time you use it all!

Good luck!

If I was in the states, I'd use MS Streets&Trips or Delorme's TopoUSA that I have to do my mapping (after importing my caches).

I am interested in this part of your post.

Is there a way to batch load the waypoints from a *gpx cache query into your Delorme program?

Is there a tutorial/faq someplace here that shows how to do something like this?

I recently downloaded a query with 200 local cache locations into Easygps and will be ready to roll when my new GPS arrives later this week. But I'd love to interface those data points in my Delorme Street Atlas program on my laptop.

I have a puck (tripmate) that works with my Laptop and I am very familiar with the software.

So what can I do to get those waypoints into Street Atlas without having to enter them all in manually?

Is there a way to batch load the waypoints from a *gpx cache query into your Delorme program?

I am not sure about "Batch loading", But GPSbabel will take your GPX format file and transfer it to Several of the DeLorme formats. Surly one of them will allow you to convert the GPX to a DeLorme file that you can simply load into your mapping program.

You can get more information at

GPSBabel Home

I use my laptop while caching but just to access GC.com. I haven't figured out how to get my GPSmap 60c to actually work with my Mapsource real time, transferring waypoints is no prolem. I get an error message, something about a serial port.

I was thinking of buying Streets and Trips to see if it allows me to use my GPS by connecting it to my laptop.

To access the website I use a GSM (modem?) through Cingular, it cost quite a bit but I have had some really good luck with it. T-mobile was cheaper but it took about 3 minutes to load a webpage.

Garmin's nRoute software will track you as you move on your laptop. You may need MapSource first.

For Garmin, I have the serial cable and a Keyspan 19HS, though these serial to USB converters are notoriously sensitive.

This works ok for streets movements, or even hanging on the airplane window as you go cross-country :D , but for caching, I find the Garmin Topo 1:100k maps a bit low on topographic resolution. May meet your needs though.

For DeLorme Users: There is a program that translates Groundspeak downloads to DeLorme draw files for import to mapping software. It works on .loc, .gpx or .zip gpx files and is very simple to use. It can create reports of cache descriptions in MS Word or .txt files. It even allows for selectable hyperlinks from the DeLorme map symbol to the Groundspeak web page for that cache. Try the program at The Webpage.

I use my laptop in my vehicle while driving around Chicagoland to get as close as possible to specific caches. I use DeLorme Street Atlas hooked up to a Radio Shack DigiTraveler GPS receiver. I also use GSAK with downloaded Geocaching.com queries. Because of the awesome abilities of GSAK I can export any of the queried caches into the Street Atlas using the filters in GSAK to pick and choose whichever caches I want to use. With them marked on the mapping program I know where they all are in relationship to where I am.

When I get close I then change over to my Magellan Meridian to get me right next to the cache (Using GSAK again, I can upload the caches into the GPSr) I also carry a Palm 515m with Cachemate, again with queried caches uploaded into the palm via GSAK (Detecting a common application here yet?). And if need be, I can use my Magellan Companion connected to my palm.

And if there comes a time when the missus and I go in different directions looking for a cache, we stay in touch with Midland X-tra Talk walkie talkies.

And our pictures are taken with multiple digital cameras.

And to think my son calls me technologically impaired

For DeLorme Users: There is a program that translates Groundspeak downloads to DeLorme draw files for import to mapping software. It works on .loc, .gpx or .zip gpx files and is very simple to use. It can create reports of cache descriptions in MS Word or .txt files. It even allows for selectable hyperlinks from the DeLorme map symbol to the Groundspeak web page for that cache. Try the program at The Webpage.

I have an older version of Delorme Topo (3.0)

I did find a way to import all the cache waypoints into a draw layer... That works fine! I can route to them and all that on my pc and I can upload those routes to my GPS...

What I do want to do is to upload the draw layer to my Palm along with the map so I can zoom out and in and view the cache's that are in a particular area.

I haven't found a way to include the draw layer in my download to the Palm.The map gets there in Solus. The routes that I created get there, but the draw layer with all the caches does not transfer.

Anybody know what I am doing wrong?