Bonfire Night

bargee

Seriously though, unlike the last 3-4 years where we have been plagued by fireworks going off maybe 10 days before the 5th, this year has been noticibly quieter!

Oh joy!

It has been noticebly quieter here in Edinburgh too, I wonder why??

Perhaps the wet weather has subdued the lunatics that can't read a calendar, or even the fact that this year is on a Saturday everyone is waiting until the proper date for once?

I will be doping my dogs up, don't like doing it, but it certainly calms them down.

It has been noticebly quieter here in Edinburgh too, I wonder why??

I believe there's been some changes in the law, regarding who can have fireworks, when they can let them off, and the seriousness of punishments if you're caught supplying them to under 18s (formerly under 16s, I think?).

That said, I've not really noticed a downturn in their use around here. There are still random bangs (just the one says it's not a display) at 2am. Fnarr.

SP

It's been quieter than usual here, too, and indeed even this evening so far hasn't been particularly noisy.

As SP says, it's now illegal to sell fireworks to anyone under 18, and it's also illegal for under-18's to possess fireworks in a public place. And it's illegal to let them off after 11pm except on Nov 5th, New Year, Chinese New Year, and Duwali.

Also, there's a noise limit of 120 decibels on fireworks that can legally be sold to the public. That's about the sound level of a back door being slammed.

Unfortunately there's apparently quite a trade in black market ones, and of course those sellers aren't too concerned about the law.

Oh, this is a caching forum, isn't it? :) Well, actually, I was just searching GSAK for any caches that had Nov 5th related names. I didn't find any, though.

Well its not been quiter here. Fireworks "night" started about a 4 weeks ago with air-bombs being let off at 3 or 4 in the morning...on a school night.

Since then its increased every night - this week its been almost constant from 30 minutes before dark till about 12:30.

Tuesday night I took the dog for a walk - it was lashing down with the rain cmming at me horizontally. Yet still people were out letting of rockets - heaven knows why it was important to let them off in that weather but people obviouly felt it was. :)

Chris

regular flashes and bangs for the last couple of weks down here.

i'm no spoil sport but i'm against them. shoul either be only big displays or not after 8pm.

i mean if someone wants to set the dadgum things off why not start as it gets dark and then finish earlier? no idea what time my daughter managed to get to sleep last night due to selfisg sods. :D

Definitely quieter in South Derbyshire. We live on the edge of a nature reserve which the local kids (bandits) make a b-line for all year round. They are partial to nicking the odd wheelie bin for an impromptu bonfire and usually it is non-stop fireworks for 5 or 6 weeks around this time of year.

However this year we have only had one or two nights with prolonged fireworks which we can only assume is a proper party/display.

I guess some areas are obeying the law more than others.

Up here in N Yorks the new laws have definitely quieted things down a bit. Tonight we've one cat practically climbing the curtains and the others deaf as a post and sleeping like a baby. We too are being v. grown up and staying in. But might revert to childhood to hang out the upstairs window to catch some of the display across town. :ninja:

No grown ups in our house. We will be at  Caldicot Castle tomorrow for the usual excellent display. There is a cache near the castle - but we have already done it  :D

:unsure: Thanks for that promotion, Mr R :anibad:

Lots of bangs and flashes going on around Caldicot (SE Wales) tonight....and our cat couldn't care less! Curled up in the armchair...just the occasional flick of her ear...

Mrs B

Well, it's still quieter than usual here. I've not long got in from my usual bonfire and fireworks in the back garden. In recent years our little display has almost been eclipsed by world war three going on around us, but this year, although of course there were a lot of other fireworks going off, it was still comparatively subdued.