Painting Caches

dino-irl

I've tried a couple of different techniques to paint plastic boxes but I'm looking for a few pointers. So far I have:

1. Painted the box with standard hard gloss and varnished over the GC.com sticky label. This has worked well but it's messy and time-consuming. Also the paint takes ages to dry.

2. Sprayed the box with spray paint designed for spraying cars (in a small touch-up can from a car spares shop). Looks great, dries quickly and it's speedy. Only thing is it has a tendency to flake off and I've no idea how well it'll last "in the wild".

Anybody got any tips they've developed?

I'm trying things out at the moment.... have lightly sanded surface of the plastic box and painted it in camouflage colours using unthinned acrylic paint. It seems to have dried well...now I'm just wondering whether to spray it all over with some sort of fixitive. :D On the USA Forum I noticed that someone said they put a spray-on glue all over their cache, then "rolled it in the dirt" :D . Another sticks twigs and dried grass/lichen all over his..... Mrs B

(cache!)

Best way to paint plastic is to "rough up" the surface with some fairly fine sand paper. Then use a plastic primer paint and give it a few coats. Then use a very fine "wet and dry" sand paper to lightly go over the primer. Then use a top coat, preferably one designed for plastic, and give it several layers of paint with a certain amount of time between coats. Let it dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours, then use the very fine "wet and dry" to go over the top coat a bit. Then finally give it a couple of coats of lacquer and leave to dry for about a week!

You may find it useful to spray the inside of the box aswell. :D

To be honest painting tupperware is a bit of a waste of time as it will chip, crack and fall off regardless. The plastic is just too flexible.

The best camouflaged ones I've seen are as "markandlynn" say.....duct tape it! It's cheap, quick and easy. The waterproof tape will last quite a while and you can get it in all sorts of colours green, black, brown etc.

Buy an Ammo can....cheaper in the long run,Already painted for you to :D

Great boxes hey TDW .. but lets not forget to remove the words about how many and what sized ammo used to be in here ... some folks get twitchy about these things and its takes little time to mask the words ... perhaps with the GC label

Best way to paint plastic is to "rough up" the surface with some fairly fine sand paper. Then use a plastic primer paint and give it a few coats. Then use a very fine "wet and dry" sand paper to lightly go over the primer. Then use a top coat, preferably one designed for plastic, and give it several layers of paint with a certain amount of time between coats. Let it dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours, then use the very fine "wet and dry" to go over the top coat a bit. Then finally give it a couple of coats of lacquer and leave to dry for about a week!

Blimey. nediam! What patience! Do you by any chance work for the "special effects" dept on TV? I'm afraid I don't have that degree of dedication... Your caches must be worthy of exhibition at Tate Modern :D

I think I'll stick with my quick paint job and resign myself to having to do a touch-up every year :D Mrs B

One of the main principles of camoflage is the use of irregular patterns to break up regular shapes or flat surfaces. Based on my experience of small plastic containers, a lot of flaked off paint helps break up the shape and is far more difficult to see than any man made camoflage. In other words, don't worry if the paint starts to look tatty, it may actualy help hide the object.

Wow, didn't expect so many responses. I think I'll try the duct tape option next time and maybe the primer/sanding preparation technique before painting on another and see which is best ie. fastest :D

Cheers guys

Remember to clean the box of grease and dust, too. Wipe it over with a cloth soaked in lighter fuel or cellulose thinners and allow it to dry just prior to applying the paint.... Don't do this by candlelight !!! :D

Blimey. nediam!  What patience!  Do you by any chance work for the "special effects" dept on TV?  I'm afraid I don't have that degree of dedication... Your caches must be worthy of exhibition at Tate Modern  :D

I think I'll stick with my quick paint job and resign myself to having to do a touch-up every year  :D    Mrs B

Nah! :D My two are metal micros which paint up quite easily :D

Having said that, the lacquer I got is naff! :D So looks like it's back to the duct tape :D

Edited by nediam

Here in the states there is an aerosol paint specifically for plastic made by Krylon called Fusion. Our mega stores and hardware stores carry several colors (or colours) and the cost is around $5.00 US. I have used the paint with great success, I am not sure if it is available outside the states. Before finding this product I followed much of the advice listed above with the best results coming from scratching the surface and multiple applications.

Edited by Frodo13
Buy an Ammo can....cheaper in the long run,Already painted for you to B)

Great boxes hey TDW .. but lets not forget to remove the words about how many and what sized ammo used to be in here ... some folks get twitchy about these things and its takes little time to mask the words ... perhaps with the GC label

Abso blooming lutly ;)

Very important to cover up such markings, particularly with the terrorist threat being as it is. I did spot one with all its markings hidden within the danger area of an MoD range B):lol:

I sprayed my cache boxes in a disrupted pattern with green and brown enamel paint and they looked the Bee's Knee's but the paint is now starting to flake off the lock type plastic boxes, so like many other geocachers in this area I have simply placed the caches into Camo Bags, works a treat and saves so much time. Concealment of Camo Bags is excellent also. I purchased mine from the Camp Shop in Breacon (On line) as recommended by The Wombles. The Camp shop calls them Stash sacks and they come in small, medium and large. B)

...like many other geocachers in this area I have simply placed the caches into Camo Bags, works a treat and saves so much time.

I've never seen the Camo bags as they tend not to be used over here. What kind of material are they made from? I assume they're not waterproof or else we're back to the placcie bags arguement again B)

...like many other geocachers in this area I have simply placed the caches into Camo Bags, works a treat and saves so much time.

I've never seen the Camo bags as they tend not to be used over here. What kind of material are they made from? I assume they're not waterproof or else we're back to the placcie bags arguement again B)

The ones I use aren't waterproof in the literal sense of the word but they are made from a waterproof DPM material. My local Army Surplus shop calls them 'Bergen Liners' and they come in a pack of 3 (?)... One very large one and two smaller ones. I generally chop and tailor them to suit whatever box I'm attempting to conceal.