Contacting Cache Owners

Hi,

We are very new to this caching and have struggled to find just two caches!!

In our area most of the caches have been set by "Beds Clangers". We have asked them for extra hints/clues but have had no response to e-mails. Just a simple, look harder would have been nice!!

Is it OK to ask for an extra clue/hint or are we breaking some weird "caching code".

Regards

Ollie and Anne (Biggles Waders)

Don't give up!

A response may take some time, some cache owners are somewhat detached from their caches and may not check their e-mails daily

I find that you need to adopt a 'if I was hiding this where would I put it' attitude - that usually works

After a few caches you will start to think like the cache owners - mind you some are decidedly devious!

Are you looking for 'micros' or 'regular' caches, the latter, being larger, are a little easier to find

It's certainly ok to ask for an extra hint - you're not breaching any etiquette guidelines. Whether or not you'll get help from the cache owner is up to them, though. And as macroderma said, not everyone checks their email every day.

I see that the two you've found have been a micro and a small container. You might want to try some regular sized containers with low difficulty levels until you get the hang of it - there usually aren't so many possible hiding places to search with regular containers!

Don't rely too much on your gps when you get near the spot - it usually won't lead you straight to the cache, unfortunately. Once you reach "gps zero" look for likely hiding places, and work out from there. Even out in the open with a good signal "gps zero" could be up to twenty feet or so from the actual hiding place.

Don't get dispirited at your DNF's, even the most experienced cachers still get DNF's. I had a DNF on a cache were I was after the First To Find, where I spent an hour searching ended up soaked to the skin, and to make things worse actualy looked straight at the the place were the cache was hidden over a dozen times <_< . With time and a increase in the no of finds things will get slightly easier :ph34r: , but you'll still end up logging DNF's :ph34r:.

Dave

I'm sure you just need a bit of practice on two or three easy caches first... At the top of this page there's a pinned thread called "Adopt A Newbie" where cachers all over the country offer their assistance in helping Newbies experience The Joys of Geocaching. There's probably someone in your area who would happily go with you on a couple of visits just to make sure that you're not making any major mistakes....You'll be fine after your first half dozen finds <_< Mrs B

Firstly, from my experience Beds Clangers would not deliberately ignore an e-mail, but he is a busy guy.

Secondly, I have noticed that a number of spam filters block e-mails from the geocaching system. I noticed that I was not getting regular watchlist e-mails after my ISP upgraded their filter. I fixed that but didn't spot that the contact e-mails from GC are different and were still being blocked. If it's really urgent the only reliable way of conacting them would be to leave a note on the cache page. I'm sure people have made sure they are getting the e-mails generated by the entries on the cache page.

Of course this means that your message is publicly visible on the cache page (but you could edit (delete?) it later).

Finally. When you get to 'GPS zero' stand and wait a few minutes. It often takes a few minutes to really settle in. From my experience it's not uncommon for it to point to a place 50 or even 100 feet away after about a minute. When setting the cache the owner would have been in the area for a while, probably taking a number of readings and averaging them out, so you could expect to wait about 10 mins in some cases to get a settled reading.

Also, you need to be aware that all locations will show a variation from day to day, and any location with a feature that makes the reception less than ideal, e.g. a tree, a building, even a hill will increase this variation. I think that describes about 90% of the sites. You need to be out on the moors to get best reception.

The problem with mosts sites is signal blocking by trees and buildings. The satellites move position quite quickly, so the pattern of blocking changes. The second problem is reflection of the signal from hills and buildings. Again as the sats are in different positions form one hour to the next, the intereference will vary. That's why at some sites you need to wait 15 - 30 mins to get a really accurate fix - or at least a fix that matches the one captured at the time by the setter.

When I get near a cache, I give up on the arrow and look at the actual reported co-ordinates. Usually, by walking very slowly I can get to a position where my co-ords match the ones on the cache page, and this, more often than not, leads me to the cache. On a number of occasions recently the arrow has pointed to one side of a path and the cache has been on the opposite side. The reported co-ords have proved in these cases to be more accurate than the arrow.

But, as has been said, I still use the 'Where would I have hidden it?' technique.

But, as has been said, I still use the 'Where would I have hidden it?' technique.

I know a certain local cacher that creates decoys around some of her caches. The odd pile of sticks here and there.

My wife has taken to doing that around some caches she thinks are too obvious. While I'm replacing the box she is looking for another place that might have held a cache and adds the odd stick or rock to make it look a little more cache like.

Sorry - can't stop her.

It's perfectly ok to ask for help!!

Here in Cheshire we tend to help each other with the more difficult caches, and definately would help out anyone that's new to the sport.

It's very true to say that after a while you do start to get the "Cachers eye" and you know exactly where to look!

Don't fret - ask for help, and think about "where would I hide something if I was hiding it here?"

Good Luck!

Shep has a very devious mind, & although I can always get us to the area of where the cache will be, Shep is always the one to actually find it, as like has been said earlier, he has an eye for these things.

Dont take the arrow on your GPS literally, it took me quite a few painful experiences to learn this, as I kept insisting that we walked following the arrow, even though that ment going straight through gorse bushes & nettle patches! :unsure:

Seren.

Sometimes, if you stand farily still, but turnabout your GPS gives a false reading for the compass points. You often have have to move a few meters for it to catch up. I use an old fashioned compass with a magnetic needle to keep an eye on bearings as I get close.

You'll get an idea of what constitutes a man made pile of logs/twigs as opposed to the natural thing fairly quickly. It doesn't hurt to have a handy stick to poke around in piles of leaves though! Try looking from a different angle. Most of the (few) caches I've found so far are because I've caught a flash of white thru the logs.

And there aint no shame in logging a DNF!

Finally, if all else fails, take some friends with you. Many pairs of eyes are better than just a couple!

Oh Dear, Oh Dear!!!

What can we say, crawl under a stone or should that be a pile of logs.

We cannot believe all the positive response to our "posted" message.

Being very new to this game we where a bit worried about what "advice" we would get? In all the responses not a single negative and really nothing but offers of help and advice!!!

Then to top it all, not only does the cache owner give us all the infomation we want, he offers to come out with us and help us find his cache???? Blimey business has a lot to learn from this!!

Currently slightly stunned by the responses.

Have to say what a great bunch of really friendly people.

PS:- Extra big thanks to Beds Clangers (Nick) and a BIG apologie for starting this thread!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Dear, Oh Dear!!!

What can we say, crawl under a stone or should that be a pile of logs.

We cannot believe all the positive response to our "posted" message.

Being very new to this game we where a bit worried about what "advice" we would get? In all the responses not a single negative and really nothing but offers of help and advice!!!

Then to top it all, not only does the cache owner give us all the infomation we want, he offers to come out with us and help us find his cache???? Blimey business has a lot to learn from this!!

Currently slightly stunned by the responses.

Have to say what a great bunch of really friendly people.

PS:- Extra big thanks to Beds Clangers (Nick) and a BIG apologie for starting this thread!!!!!!!!!!

Don't apologise for starting the thread. I think cachers generally pride ourselves on our helpfulness. SO that fact that your request has worked out well gives us all a warm glowy feeling.

I was more surprised when you said Nick had been slow off the mark rather than the offer to go out in the wild with you.

You might notice that there is an 'adobt-a-newbie' thread at the top of the page. Many people have offered to act as guide for people new to the sport. Have alook through the thread and see if there is someone near you and contact them through their profile.