Which Palm App Works Best For Geocaching

vinniet

Hello ...

I am relativly new to GeoCaching (only a few finds) and is trying to find which Palm software works best. I have a Palm Vx with Magellan GPS Companion. I choose this setup because I have had Palm forever and love them and I want to transfer cache information. Also the Palm Vx mono screen looks great in the sun and battery last very long.

I also have a Zire 72 with TomTom maps so I do not need that function. I am looking for something help me with GeoCaching.

With that said I have the following programs:

- CotoGPS

- CacheMate + CacheNav

- Cetus GPS

- NAV Companion

I have been using Cetus and seems to work great but I do not think works that well when I am very close to a cache (under 20 feet). This might be all GPS because of trees or nature of GPS technology.

I have tried CotoGPS but I can not seem to get distance to waypoint to work. I have to be missing something but it shows me everything else.

I have started to play with CacheMate and I love the database. This program along with GSAK will truely make me paperless. I was curious how accurate the GPS navagation works. I also get the export to Cetus but its too many steps.

What is everyone out there using? Did I miss a programs that does basic geocaching functions?

Thanks for a great site

Vinnie

HI....

I think your list is pretty good.

I currently use CacheMate + CacheNav almost all the time.

I have also have NAV Companion that I sometimes use by creating a Route to tell me which Cache to go to next especally when I use the Cache Raid in GSAK. Granted I have to make the Route manually after I import the waypoints into NAV, but I find it useful, because CacheMate will not leave them in the RAID order (and I get tired of searching for closest Cache after finishing each cache)

I used to use Cetus GPS rather than CacheNav until they fixed the pointer in CacheNav, now I keep it pretty much only for the waypoint averaging it does and use it rarely.

The one thing I need to get is a good mapping software that Waypoints can be put into, so I can find the best Street path to the next Cache< but that will come in time

Thanks Gener Lee,

I will CacheMate a better shake. I found it after I came back from a GeoCaching trip.

What is Cache RAID?

Do you use averaging? I used it in Cetus but it seemed to be less accurate. There might have been other factors like it showing down the processor. Not sure.

I was curious how CacheMate averaging worked? In general do you turn it on when you get close to a cache or do you usually leave it on all the time?

Thanks,

Vinnie

I have been using Cetus and seems to work great but I do not think works that well when I am very close to a cache (under 20 feet). This might be all GPS because of trees or nature of GPS technology.

I think you're right on that one; that sounds like about the best we can expect for this price range.

Which software you use won't have any impact on the quality of the GPS signal. That is entirely up to the receiver. The receiver itself receives the data from satellites and passes it along to the software. (I'm simplifying things a little). Therefore no matter what the software is it will access the same information being received from the GPS receiver.

vinniet,

vinniet,

What is Cache RAID?

Cache Raid is a Macro in GSAK. How it works is, you select one cache in your database (you do have to a filter called CacheRaid to filter your database) Then you start this Macro, and it Creates a New database with the number of caches you select (It asks you for a number after you start the Macro). The new database starts with the one you selected the picks the closest cache to that one, copies it, selects the nearest to that, copies .... etc

Do you use averaging?  I used it in Cetus but it seemed to be less accurate.  There might have been other factors like it showing down the processor.  Not sure.

Very rarely. I usually have it turned off, I use it to get a location for placing a cache (letting it sit with averaging on for 5 min or more). I sometimes use it in heavy cover, when I am sure I close, but can not find the Cache, by letting it sit in place for a while to try and get a better reading, but it is not real good when you are moving (at least in my experence)

I was curious how CacheMate averaging worked? 

No Clue, I did not know CacheMate did averaging (or CacheNav for that matter)

Good luck Caching

Edited by Gener_Lee

Most seem to prefer CacheMate for the simplicity of it working directly from GSAK. I use Plucker and am quite happy with it. Try them both and see which you like. Plucker also requires Spinner (both are free) and CacheMate will cost you $8 (I think) but it works directly from GSAK.

[Edit] The $8 isn't what keeps me from using CacheMate. I just started with Spinner and Plucker and liked them so I never messed with CacheMate.

Edited by thrak

I use Spinner/Plucker simply because I read a Geocaching University article on how to do it. Really enjoy the paperless thing, but am going to try CacheMate since it seems universally liked and integration with GSAK is a major plus. <Shameless Plug> IMHO, GSAK is the greatest thing since sliced bread.