Decon Containers, Is There Another Name?

welch

Yes, I know decon is sort for 'decontamination kit'. Its sometimes hit and miss finding them on the internet. I was wondering if maybe there is an alternate name for them that might help? Any ex-military people reading this know of another name? or were they always called decontamination kits?

thanks

...Not really. I think they suck.

I can't get them open... almost ever... unless it's been REALLY hot out and the plastic isn't quite as stiff. If it's cold... I hope to God I have someone else with me that CAN open the darn things!...

My bottle opener works great on the things. I love them because it means there may be swag and they beat the snot out of 35mm containers.

Nice containers but be aware that they are not waterproof. I've been  swapping mine out lately for Lock n Locks because of that.

I've never had one leak, but I always put a sticker inside the lid that says "SNAP DOWN ALL FOUR CORNERS". That seems to do the trick. A month or two ago, I found one that had been hidden inside a toy animal with a hole in the top. The toy had filled up with the water, and the decon box was completely submerged. The contents were still dry.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I've never seen one leak either - nor do I find them especially hard to open. I wonder if it's the overall moderate temps in Florida? I love 'em, both as a hider and finder - no camo required, comes with a snap, so you can attach them to a spot and they're likely to return to it (sometimes I wiretire a ring so the return spot is designated) room for a bit of swag and smaller TBs. Not too expensive to put out, and findable. Even at $2 they're inexpensive.

Don't forget about the less-plentiful but (maybe) more popular M291 Decon box. These are the black ones that have the words "REFILLABLE DO NOT DESTROY" on the lid. Much nicer than the green ones with the scary words.

Bret

I sand or scrape off the scary words.

Me too. I'm always amazed at the number of them I find with the "scary words" still on them and the stickers on the side. I can't imagine what a muggle would think if they stumbled across a container that said, "CAUTION Poisonous and caustic hazard."

Bret